Helpful ReplyI HAVE A PROBLEM ;-]

Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2015/12/29 21:38:01 (permalink)

I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-]

Did I say that, I mean I need help, ummmmm heh.. heh... hehhh?

No seriously, I'd like yinz opinion of Sonar/Gps units.  In this case it's Hummingbird vs Garmin?

Hummingbird has their "Helix" series and Garmin just hit the market with their "Stryker" series.

Some yinz spoke earlier about Side Imaging/View vs Down Imaging/View and I listened but, became hesitant when I saw the price of the Hummingbird Helix 7 SI units.

Well, Garmin has just hit the market with their Stryker 7SV which is a combination Sonar/GPS with Down View and Side View.

Myself, I've always been a Hummingbird guy so, I know little to nothing about Garmin and, with their new unit just hitting the market (most places have to back order) I'm finding little to read about the device.

What have you to say?  if yinz don't mind me asking.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/03 01:02:33

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/29 23:45:12 (permalink)
Have you looked at the lowrance hook 7? Just suggesting it to make ur decision harder and add more to the pot :)
In all honesty with the way today's electronics are made they are all comparable just alot of guys being stubborn and sticking to what brand they know.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/30 00:10:31 (permalink)
Gee thanks, as if I'm not already somewhere between 'dazed and confused' you gotta stir the pot.

I will check the "Hook", for sure, thank ye kindly.

I'm thinking, I don't need maps of a lake I already fish and not likely to be entering any Bass Masters competition so I won't be visiting lakes all over the country.  Maps are one thing I'll sacrifice going with the Garmin and it appears way point storage may not be as plentiful either but, the Garmin are suppose to interface with home computers to allow for way point management.  Darn things ain't out yet so nobody selling them can answer my questions.

I'm thinking the "Side View" will be worth losing maps and some way point storage.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/30 20:19:20 (permalink)
Been There, I'm currently running a Humminbird 581iHD with Down Imaging, and I'm really disappointed with Humminbirds QC. I owned it for a year before I got it installed in my boat as I was doin' a complete rebuild of the hull, and the very first trip out in Sept., the screen fogged up and cleared up only slightly on one side after 5 hours of fishin'. Humminbird tells me, "Sorry, out of warranty but we can fix it for $160". Bull! I removed the unit and kept it in the house, and then in the following spring I put it back in, and it wouldn't power up. The power cable went bad right in the head that locks into the mount, and that was $30 with the shipping for a new one, plus I had to remove a side panel in the boat and fish the new cable back though to the power connections, so I wasn't happy about that. Also, the transducer mount snapped off while fishing; that was another $30 with the shipping. The 581 has a lot of features that I don't use, and I really don't understand "Down Imaging", but even with the occasional fogging, I kinda like it. It works just as well at 30 MPH as it does when I'm trollin'. I'd had Eagle Electronics previously. Couple of months ago I was at Cabela's in Wheeling and they had a 'Bird unit that looks just like the 581, but a different model number,  and it had the full color screen, and it was on sale for the same price I paid for the plain 581. It was discounted like 45% as they were bringin' in new models. If I'd had the jing, I'd have bought it on the spot! My oldest son has the color version in his Lund, and it really shows the bottom much better than black, white, and gray. BTW, the GPS speed and the surface temp is really convenient.
post edited by EMitch - 2015/12/30 20:21:56
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/30 20:46:23 (permalink)
We have 2 of the 581s and we too are disappointed in the quality. Unless u have a windless day where u can sit and fine tune the di it doesn't show anything better than the regular view. I'm really tempted to get the hook 7 after reading up on it and seeing the demos.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/30 21:41:30 (permalink)
EMitch thank you very much for taking the time, except for the Lowrance Flasher Sonar I bought in the seventies I've always bought Hummingbirds.  Been a while since my last purchase which was 2003 so I've not, followed the technology be it bad or good with any of the brands.  

Friend of mine recently purchased the Hummingbird Helix 7DI and I must say it is very impressive, not overdone with features and, reasonably priced.  I was a single "click" away from buying one myself then, I saw the Garmin 7VS which offers "Side View" as well as "Down View" but less storage for way points and no maps.

Then, someone pops out with yet another new model on the market.

Outasync the Hook 7 is very impressive from what I've seen on the internet, and the price is right, gonna be tough for me to decide.

I didn't see the need for "Side Imaging/View" given the additional cost but the 7VS at $499.00 is a contender. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/31 00:15:51 (permalink)
Old dog, so right you are and I've BTDT and value his as well as, the opinion of others.

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9679
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/31 11:47:31 (permalink)
I know that you mentioned not needing mapping.  I find it to be one of my best tools for finding new spots.  At least an idea of where drop offs, creek channels, ect. are.  Then hone in with the depth finder.  

I use the Navionics app on my iPhone.  It's not the most ideal having to use an additional tool, but if you have a smart phone, most likely you have it on your boat regardless.  If you have a DC outlet, 1/2 the times is is on your dash being charged anyway...  At least mine was prior to me getting the app.  Only thing bad is when it is raining.  Phone holders are cheap, and if you really want to be cheap (and want something smaller), go to Office Depot and buy a 99 cent pen holder.  I think app is about $10.  

I was about to buy a new fish finder last year and the year prior, and likely the year prior to that.  7" was a bit out of my price range, although it is nice seeing that it is in my range now.  5" was just too small, especially for split screen.  I think even with 7", I'd still use my phone to navigate.  I'm not sure of which models have it, but the app that mirrors your screen looks awesome.  Keeping you from having to purchase another finder for your trolling motor, or others on your boat to see the fish finder.

Thanks a lot.  Now I have fish finders on my mind again!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/31 14:59:10 (permalink)
(LOL) Pork, I can relate to the fish finders on the mind.  Just when I get ready to purchase the one I thought I wanted, out pops the new models.  Making matters worse, each mfr. comes out with several of each.

Good suggestion regarding the Navi App, that would be much nicer tapping the phone screen and seeing one's location versus digging in a boat compartment and pulling out 18" x 24" maps of all the lakes.  Yes, ()  I continue to be old school and still have my "official PFBC" lake maps from the 70s but hey, they are laminated.  Still have one of Lake Arthur and, Justice Lake too!

I know this isn't the first time I posed this question and I do appreciate the opinions, advice and, personal suggestions I received the first time around.  Being a 'gear-grinding double-clutching son of an electrician' I've been out of sorts regarding the fishing electronics.  Heck, the DX200 I bought (still using) back in 2003 was state of the art at the time.  Ummmm, according to the salesperson. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2015/12/31 21:57:46 (permalink)
Wellllllllll I dood it and now you will have to be vewy, vewy quite; I will be hunting fish........ heh hehhhhhh!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your views and insight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO............  MEEEEE!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/01 09:49:17

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/01/02 10:30:18 (permalink)
OK......  question number two!    

Location of a transducer, transom mounting vs trolling motor mount?  I'm thinking of relocating the (existing) DX 200 head unit to the driver's console, leaving the transducer as is on the transom, just to use the DX as a general purpose (high speed) depth finder.

The new unit will be located in the bow of the boat with the transducer mounted to the trolling motor which can, remain in the water at slow speeds while under way with the main engine.

So once again I am asking for, any and all, suggestions from those of you that have tried the trolling motor mount.

Your input shall be appreciated.

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/01/03 21:54:57 (permalink)
Stop being lazy and change out that back transducer. Running your big motor with your trolling motor in the water is not recommended. Some thing about burning up the brushes and even bending the shaft. If you want the new one on the front, put your mount up their and put the transducer on your trolling motor. Leave the old one on the console. The one in the front will be real time as what you see under you won't be 10 ft away by the time it registers as with the back one. I always put the best one up front as that's where I do almost all my fishing from there.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/01/03 22:59:09 (permalink)
Mounting everything upfront with the transducer on the trolling motor is the way I'm leaning.  I like the "real time" advantage yet, I don't want to sacrifice other options such as side scanning at speeds faster than the trolling motor will go.  The new unit has capability to build it's own maps and I would think faster speeds would make that chore a bit easier.  I thought about two transducers until I saw the price  and that shot that idea in a hurry.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to sacrifice one option for another, for the time being at least. 

Thanks for your input Chauncy I appreciate you taking the time.

Walleye jigs
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1231
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/01/04 08:11:04 (permalink)
Have you considered seeing a doctor? A little couch time might,I know it did me!!!!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/01/04 10:10:18 (permalink)
I'm tellin ya Jigs it's rough on on an ole guy like me when it comes to lookin at electronics and trying to figure out what the hell all this new technology is about.  Was tough enough in the old days trying to decide whether to buy a fish finder using graph or LCD readout.  Now days, we got side views, down views, fishy pictures, GPS, maps, this MHz, that MHz, CHIRP and, where should I mount stuff!!!  

It's never ending, I tell ya just relentless, what ever happened to "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"?  Maybe it's me, maybe I'm 'keeping it stupid, it's  simple'!!

Maybe I need a vacation, yeah that's it a vacation, where I can go relax and fish all day on a boat and let somebody else wonder if they; bought the best fish finding technology, should be using arches instead of fishy pictures or, mounted the device in the right dam place.

Right now I'm somewhere between 'lost and found' and to make matters worse, I have one of those "ear worms" repeating music in my head and the lyrics are something about "they're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha".

Sure is nice to have friends willing to help and make recommendations, I think I'm feeling better already, thanks for your input.

Your friend and mine,

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/01/26 23:15:44 (permalink)
Well I dooded it, un-dooded it and re-dooded it.  Just when ya think ya got the situation under control something comes along and screws it.

After much conversation, mainly between myself and me, I chose to purchase a certain brand of sonar/GPS.  Now this sonar/GPS is a brand new never been seen unit and according to the advertisement is available beginning Jan. 15 2016.  Well heck, it was Dec.30 2015 and I wouldn't need the thing until 'spring has sprung' 2016 so, I placed an order.  Not being able to find but 30 sec promo's on YouTube, I emailed the retailer requesting any information they may have on the sonar/GPS.  I was eager to learn as much as I could before the actual arrival of the device plus give me something to kill time and help keep me from writing stupid stuff on the forums.  Unfortunately, the retailer had responded to  my request stating they had not had time to operate the, new never been seen before, sonar/GPS and could not answer any questions.

Sooooo, I fired off the same request to the manufacturer who in turn, reaffirmed the new model would not be shipped until Jan 15, 2016 and no information would be available at this time but, I was to watch a web sight where the manuals for the sonar/GPS would be available to download.  Which pretty much verified why the retailer had not had time to test the unit because it was obvious they didn't have a unit to test.  Had I been advised that was the situation, I probably wouldn't have canceled my order.  Not because they didn't have one of the new models but, I now had questions regarding the retailers return policy and credibility based on the answer to my initial request.

Jan 4th placed an order for the same 'brand new never been seen before' sonar/GPS unit with a second retailer who also advised shipping would not occur until Jan 15, 2016.  This retailer also had a sight where one could check the tracking of their purchase once shipping has been confirmed.  Wellllllllllll, Jan 15 arrives, a quick check with the tracking site and nothing, notta, not, nope or, ain't shipped.  Played this game until Jan 24 when I emailed the retailer and learned the new shipping dates would be the first of Feb, so they thought.

Seeing a red flag, I sent a email to the mfg asking that they confirm the shipping date and was told the new model I ordered would be shipped, hopefully, sometime the last two weeks of Feb.  They were sure I'd be happy with my new purchase and please contact them should I need further assistance.

I am now excitedly awaiting the arrival of my new 'been around, proof tested , highly rated, made by another mfg, sonar/GPS on Jan 28, 2016.

And yes, yinz will hear about it!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/27 06:45:28

Trout About
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1048
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/02/14 11:51:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rob_fisherman 2017/03/22 20:59:59
I used to be a die hard Garmin guy.  Absolutely LOVE the GPS in my old Garmin 178C, but their sonar imaging was really lacking.  I switched over to Lowrance HDS units but HATED their GPS.  So, now I have my old Garmin at the console with a HDS 7 next to it and a HDS 10 at the bow.  I think Garmin has finally caught up in the sonar game, so when it comes time it replace my units, I will be going back to Garmin.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/02/14 15:05:38 (permalink)
You may wish to investigate the Garmin Striker 7 Series if Garmin has shipped the things yet.  That's the unit I was babbling about in my previous rant.  However, Garmin has cut ties with several map makers so use of maps by any competitors will not be possible.  The Striker, while capable of recording tracks and waypoints does not come with any maps nor, does it accept SD Cards for additional storage.

I had the the Striker 7 with side and down view ordered from two different vendors and got cold feet when the shipping dates were continuously moved back by Garmin.

As far as I know, the Strikers still have not hit the market.

The Helix 7 SI now adorns the console of the Fish Hawk.

*********************************************************************************************

Update:  Shipment of the Striker 7SV as with other Garmin models has been delayed until the first of March.  

**********************************************************************************************
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/02/14 15:39:03

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/02/15 08:35:03 (permalink)
All I'll say is good luck. Seems like it's taking a lot of time to get the bugs worked out of their new unit. Don't want to send them out and have everybody shipping them back like Marcum had to do with so many of their ice units a couple years ago. I hope your new unit is worth the wait. I'd like to get one of their 12" models eventually.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3348
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM ;-] 2016/02/15 10:13:35 (permalink)
  Kinda like the Hunninbird 1198c. Haven't had any problems & have pet names for objets under the sea.

crappy
Jump to: