Transducer mounting question

Author
tigercat
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/16 16:28:18 (permalink)

Transducer mounting question

This is an age old question or theory. I have an outbound on my boat and a transom mount trolling mother. The so called rule of thumb is to mount your transducers on the starboard side. This is to get a better image on your sonar because of the the prop wash because the outboard prop is turning clockwise. I am adding another unit to my boat,and mt starboard is way to crowded. Always having to be careful with the trolling motor around the transducers. I have mounted transducers on the port side before but that was way before all this hi-tech stuff. My theory is that the transducers are in front of the outboard so it really shouldn't make a difference.because the water being scanned has not reached the outboard. Any thoughts????

7 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/16 18:23:21 (permalink)
    Port vs Starboard.............?

Been playing with sounders, flashers, graphs and, underwater T.V since they hit the market for sports fisherman.  (probably the reason I fish but, don't catch ( beat ya to it Walcat))    Never heard of the Port thing but, here's some info ya might find interesting and hopefully useful.  Good luck.   https://www.google.com/ur...hQd5IbYq86Ga-Upd1q7CIA
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/09/16 18:26:17

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Bare
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/16 18:56:44 (permalink)
    I used to lay the transducer on the boat bottom in the sump so it stayed wet. It seemed to work ok.
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/16 21:02:49 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Port vs Starboard.............? Been playing with sounders, flashers, graphs and, underwater T.V since they hit the market for sports fisherman.  (probably the reason I fish but, don't catch ( beat ya to it Walcat))    Never heard of the Port thing but, here's some info ya might find interesting and hopefully useful.  Good luck.   https://www.google.com/ur...hQd5IbYq86Ga-Upd1q7CIA

Good link! Thanks!
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/16 21:06:32 (permalink)
    Bare
    I used to lay the transducer on the boat bottom in the sump so it stayed wet. It seemed to work ok.

I've seen where you can Epoxy them to the sump. Mine is a skimmer ducker and Lowrance actually tells you that's an option. The luck I have I'm half afraid to epoxy it down and not be right and cost me a $150 to get another transducer.
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/16 21:15:14 (permalink)
    The sternmate link pretty much explains every option and why.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/20 13:03:55 (permalink)
    got myself a portable transducer mount.  i can move the transducer and clamp it anywhere i want on my boat.
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re: Transducer mounting question 2015/09/23 09:05:17 (permalink)
    I run my fishhawk transducer on my kicker side, no issues at all running the kicker and using the fishhawk. The transducer is in front of the motor so shouldnt really matter.
    I would be more worried about interference from your other transducers.  Even though they are on the other side of the boat if you are running the same, or similar frequency you could run into issues.
    Jump to: