equipment poll

Author
joebaker79
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 805
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/25 19:43:03 (permalink)

equipment poll

the thread posted about a good reel for 30.00 got me thinking when i thought about all the cheaper equipment i used growing up...

what was your first true trophy fish, and what did you land it on?  reel, rod, line, etc.  since most of us were probably younger and using whatever we could afford or whatever showed up under the tree that year i though this would be interesting.

mine was a large tiger musky on a lake near philly in high school.  6' shakespeare rod that was part of a combo, with a shakespeare reel i had bought seperately.  8 lb trilene line, norman crankbait in sparkle white, no leader, trolled behind a boat that me and a friend were freaking ROWING.  fishing for whatever would bite that lure. 

27 Replies Related Threads

Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 20:15:02 (permalink)
    About a 40lb. cow striped bass caught in the surf near Jones Beach N.Y. in 1965.
    Caught it on a no-name surf rod w/ 17 lb test Ande line, an old Penn level wind reel and a diamond jig w/ a tail of cut squid.
    My high school buddies and I used to fish or go surfing every morning before class, when the weather was decent.
    We didn't know how good we had it, back then.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 20:21:40 (permalink)
    Thats a cool story Joe.  The first nice fish I caught was a 20" palomino trout that I got while fishing with my brothers and dad at a local lake on the first day of trout.  I remember getting up early to go fishing for trout at Herford Manor Lake with my dad and brothers, it was quite the tradition for us for years when I was a kid.  I think I was about 14 or 15 then.  I caught the fish on a Mitchell 300 reel on a Garcia Conolon rod which I still have.  Many fish were caught on that old combo, and I'm sure it would still work, but I've since retired it just for memory's sake.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 20:21:58 (permalink)
    I have a similar story..lol.  When I was about 10(12years ago) my brother and I were fishing lake arthur.  We basically were putting in a half-arse attempt to catch anything that would bite while trolling.  At the time the only decent rod I owned was a 5' fenwick UL.  But, my uncle gave me a bunch of rods he used in the 70's.  I think they were abu glass rods with rusty steel guides and some type of cheap plastic reel.  Probably about 6' ML if I had to guess.  We rigged up 4 rods, my bro was controlling the motor and holding on to 2 of the rods and I was in the front chair hanging on to the other 2. After trolling for what seemed like hours my rod was nearly ripped out of my hand.  The best part of it was the madness that ensued trying to clear 3 other rods with this musky going nuts putting on a great arial show.  Well, I ended up landing my first musky ever, at the time I would have sworn it was 60".  After boating quite a few more since then I now realize high 30's was more accurate.  So I landed a 15lb musky on a 25 year old rusted up glass rod, a plastic reel of some sort which had the same line on it when it was given to me (not likely it was less than 10 years old) probably about 8lb test, no leader of any kind, and the smallest wiggle wart (trout size) they make with rusty #10 trebles.  How I managed to land that fish still remains a mystery.  Looking back on it I can honestly say that it was a story that I will never forget.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 20:28:09 (permalink)
    Thats funny....It seems the more serious we get about catching a specific species of fish, the more serious we get about the equipment we use.  There is still something to be said about good equipment though, especially when you're in search of that "big one".  I'd hate to loose a big fish because the equipment I'm using is either junk or faulty.  And there is a fine line between both!  Tight Lines!

Forgot to mention my first big muskie on the Pickerel River in the early 80s with my uncle.  Caught on a 5" prototype Wiley jerk bait, chartruese, Fenwick rod and Abu Garcia 6500.  49", 30 pound muskie....released.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/01/26 09:22:03

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 22:00:00 (permalink)
      Hasn't happened yet, still waitin for a big one

That's why my oldest son said I'm the crappiest fisherman ever.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 23:24:46 (permalink)
    Night Fishing in Canada when I was about 12.  I was usinf an old shakespeare spinning rod with a mitchell 300 (I think) reel, and a 3" daredevil.  I had made a poor cast and had a huge birds' nest in the line but I was determined to untangle it so the lure stayed in the water as I tried to untangle the line.  When I finally got it untangled I started to reel it in and the line just stopped.  I figured that I had hooked a stone or a stump and I was about as angry as a 12 year old can get because I had just purchased that lure before coming to Canada.  I jerked on the line to try to work the lure loose  (or break the line free) when, suddenly, the line jerked back and almost took the rod out of my hands.  An older gentleman standing next to me said: "You must have a fish on boy, looks like a nice big catfish by the way it's pulling>"  Well I fought the catfish for about 20 minutes till I got it to the surface and another man netted it for me.  My "catfish" turned out to be a 30" Walleye.  Which is still the biggest 'eye' I have ever caught. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 23:42:09 (permalink)
    Mine is a tie.....When I was 10 my dad took me to a kids trout derby on the slippery rock creek.  I had known how to fish minnows for a couple of years, but the other 60 kids obvously didn't I was driftin minnies in between them and mauling the trout, that nobody else could catch.  I had a mitchell 308 reel and an old abu glass rod that was so old you couldn't tell what it was if you wanted to........ I won a new rod and reel  (that was a big deal for a 10 year old)

However when i was 14 I was fishing the annual conneaut spring musky tourney (bout 150 guys in it) with my grandfather.  I had an old wonder rod, with a ambassador 6500 reel.  Caught a 46 1/2 incher won all the money (which I bought the rifle I hunt with to this day with) and left with a bunch of confused guys asking each other how you get a 14 year old kid to buy you beer........that was funny

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/25 23:55:18 (permalink)
    2.5 pound largemouth on a garcia medium action rod, mitchell 304 spinning reel, economy 8 pound test (shakesphere) and a frog finished flatfish.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 00:36:02 (permalink)
    In 1967, my dad took me on a trip to the Goergan Bay area. Moon Island if my memory serves me right. In the first morning we caught fish everywhere we went. I liked this one spot that had a large boulder island a few feet from shore. Dad drops me off on it and leaves with the guide. I caught a bunch of lm on night crawlers. Dad showed up once to check on me and I showed off the nice stringer of bass. A wave and off they went, saying something as they were leave.? It ias getting late and I,m waiting for my ride back to camp ,when my shakespear rod was heading off the rock. There was a long battle, the fish would head to the bottom , then I would pull him back up. The mosquito,s were eating me alive. I lit a green , curly repellant, while fighting this fish. I shinnied down that rock and landed a huge cat. Now it is dark and I,m bit up really bad. I drag these fish and my tackle box off this island and have to stay in the water to keep those blood suckers off me. Long story short , the guides wife happened to hear me screaming for help and rescued me.

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 09:08:36 (permalink)
    Camping on a lake in Texas when I was 6......

I had a potato sack that I was going to make into a fish trap...lol. My Dad was laughing when I set the trap in about 2 feet of water that night. When we woke that morning, my dad and I walked down to the water and saw the stick that I had tied to it going crazy. My dad ran into the water and grabed the line, and pulled out the 32 lb blue cat that was tangled in the sack. Twenty eight years later and my dad still talks about that day.
    I'll NEVER forget it!
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/01/26 09:19:34

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 09:18:48 (permalink)
    No offense Mikah, but in 1967 I was in my pop's left testicle!

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 10:09:11 (permalink)
    lol! Your day will come.Lol

lhazlett
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 10:34:04 (permalink)
    about 10 years old i caught a 15 pound snapping tutle on a stringer and a stick. had caught a bull head put it on the stringer and before ya know it the **** thing  was trying to steel my fish never let go untill it was on shore  and  i hit it  with  a stick 
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 15:45:07 (permalink)
    I remember stopping at the bait store in Laceyville on the way to a pond my father use to take us camping and fishing at.  He use to buy dozens of red-n-white bobbers.  Most never made it home as we would shoot them with the BB gun.  My dad never complained and he would shoot his share too.  Wish he was still here as he would love the place my family and friends use for camping, riding and fishing today.

By the way my kids and the other kids we camp and ride with shoot the floats today.   The floats they shoot are the balsa floats I turn so they last a whole lot longer.  I guess it just plain old bad upbringing... 
    post edited by CR500 - 2008/01/26 15:46:40
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 18:32:48 (permalink)
    Good stories all.

flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 19:36:53 (permalink)
    When I was 12 I was fishing at my local park just up the road. I was using a 5ft. lightning rod ultralight. With a shimano 10dollar reel with some 6 pound test. I was using a 3'' green curly tail jig fishing for crappie when I thought I had a snag. 10 minutes later that snag was in the net in the form of a 10lb channel cat. Pretty sure that was my first fish over 12 ounces
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/26 20:53:23 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
          The following didn't happen to me but I witnessed it.  On the first day of trout season a few years ago quite a few of us were fishing a local pond because there had been some palaminos stocked in it.  There was a man there with his daughter who was about 4 years old and she was using one of those zebco princess rods that you buy at Wal-Mart for about 9 bucks.  The little girl wasn't catching anything so I went over and asked her father if I could put some bait on her hook (she was using bread) so I rigged her little rod with a #12 hook and a couple of salmon eggs and a smalll float and told her to give it a real heave into the pond.  She cast the new bait out real far and I turned to walk away.  I hadn't even made it back to my friends when the little ones' bobber went under and her dad told her to set the hook.  The fish almost took the rod out of her hands and her dad had to help her fight the fish.  When the fish came up we saw that it was a beautiful palimino.  I hurried over with my net and netted her fish for her:  a 24 inch palamino.  I hope that memory will stay with her forever because her smile still shines in my memory.  The little ones are the future of our sport.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    waspman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/27 15:57:22 (permalink)
    I was 8 or 9 At the mouth of Horse Creek in Rockmeir.(up river from Oil City,PA) I had a 9 inch black plastic worm on a Zebco 202, the result was a 25 inch Northern. It was march and the rising water from a thaw broke the ice at the mouth. I was board and wanted to fish. That year a kid also caught the muskie that is hanging in the Oil City boat club.It was 5 foot plus.I think it's still there on the wall. That was 25 years ago...J.T. 

There's room for all gods creatures....right next to the taters and gravy.
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/27 17:11:44 (permalink)
    Years ago fishing the Allegheny River I caught a nice sized musky.  I was just messing around with one of those old zebco push buttoned reels with 8 or 10 pound line and a little size 4 hook.  No liter and used the smallest shiner in the bucket.  Turned out to be a 3 foot 14 lb musky.
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/27 17:21:15 (permalink)
    back in 1968 my mom would take me fishing to city island in the bronx, we'd fish off the pier with a dop-line and sinker I caught my first flounder maybe three pounds but to me it felt like 10lbs, I remember we'd get back on the bus and go home with a bag of stinky fish LOL I've been fishing ever since and now it only took 30 years later to catch my first 22 lb. salmon on a fly rod... I wouldn't trade that day in 68 for anything. Thanks MOM...
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/27 22:21:04 (permalink)
    My dad took me to Canada lake nippassing when i was 10 i had a hand me down Mitchell 300 and a Garcia rod..
    i was fishing from the dock catching 6&7inch perch when something grabed the perch and started to run and did not stop till the spool was empty!!!
    I have had that reel for 40yrs and it still runs very smooth...I dont use it...it sits on a shelf on my wall of fame...
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/28 08:32:41 (permalink)
    I can remember my first trout.  My dad took me to Queen creek in Forest county.  I got 2 trout before my dad had is line in.  I must of been about 8.  I dragged those fish everywhere showing them off.  I still have the rod and reel. I do not know the brands.  The reel had a push button face on it.  The best thing about all these stories are they start with my dad.  I have a 5 year old that been fishing for 2 years now.  I hope his stories start the same way and his kids stories start the same way.  Keep passing it on guys.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/28 08:40:05 (permalink)
    When I was 6 or 7 years old in about 1954 or 55 my dad
    took me to the paradise on spring creek & I caught a 20
    inch brown on a wright McGill fly rod & a south bend automatic
    fly reel & a brown hackle peacock nymph. that was some great
    times fishing at that age with my dad & all of the big trout in
    the paradise will never forget them.
    TBS
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/28 10:37:27 (permalink)
    How many of you remember the Popeil Pocket Fisherman??? I got one for Christmas when I was five or so. Along with my only two lures, An ABU Reflex spinner & a #7 silver/black Rapala, I terrorized countless bass in the many farm ponds I had available. That was about 1970. Well my mother finally sold her house about 4 years ago & in the attic I found my old green creel I carried as a kid.In the bottom of than creel was that old spinner with the hook about rusted off. I just sat there and remembered all my my childhood friends I fished with and wondered if they still have the love for the sport that I still do now. Anyhow, I was at an action last year and a Pocket Fisherman still in the clear plastic holster came up. I got it for $3 & couldn't wait to get to my buddys pond with a rapala.  
    GreeneGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/28 12:10:23 (permalink)
    When I was about 12 or 13 my dad took me to the Anawana Club to trout fish.  They never stocked anything less the 12" and there wre always some bruisers cruising the edge that no one could catch.  Well, My late uncle Kenny was with us, and I was using some spinners, and I think i had caught a few by this point.  He let me borrow his Kastmaster spoon, (Metallic Blue and Silver) and that thing wieghed a ton.  I was using the Mitchell 300 I beleive(old metal green?)  I casted clean across the lake and within about 2 reels I hooked onto a 20 inch rainbow.  He put on a show jumping close to 4 feet in the air at one point.  When I got him close to the bank, a fellow right to the left of us brought over a net and my dad netted it for me.  as soon as we pulled it ashore the spoon popped out of his mouth.  Well, I decided right there it was going on the wall, and my uncle gave me his spoon to put in its mouth.  Pretty much the most special moment of fishing I've ever had.
    parker31
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/28 23:53:19 (permalink)
    when i was about 7 or 8 years old my dad took me to shenago river and i was just messing around while my dad was sitting talking to the old timers that used to have fires there my rod doubled over and i reeled in a 28 inch walleye. i lost my dad back in december and i will never forget the look on his face when i get the thing in
    Salty
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: equipment poll 2008/01/29 11:23:01 (permalink)
    This past summer I landed a 18.5 lb Blue Fish which is by all acounts a Trophy blue. It was worth being up all night fishing with nothing but a handful of schoolie and barely legal stripers. Best fight Ive had with a fish in ten years.caught him using (and dont laugh)a 13 year old '7 BWS heavy action Ugly Stick #15-#40, 10 year old 6500ss Penn Reel (made in USA) 10/0 Owner hook,3.5 oz Bank Sinker #50 Sufix Performace Braid and a big chunk of herring. big fish, sunrise, aint that what its all about? First time in my life people who where strangers wanted pictures of my fish when we got back to the dock. It wouldnt have happened if I were in a tourny!
    post edited by Salty - 2008/01/29 11:34:48

Hear My Train A Comin
    Jump to: