Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2015/03/12 14:03:04 (permalink)

DT'S Ant

Aunt Vis

For the past few years I’ve been looking for an ant pattern that was easy to tie, fit the profile and was easy to see. I’ve tried my hand at tying something up but failed for some time. I finally came up with this and after showing it on a fly tying sight people liked it so I decided to do a tutorial on it.

Material; Not much. Trim a narrow piece of black closed cell foam, a good grade of black hackle 1 size undersize, a good pair of scissors and Zap a Gap is important.

Hook; #16 94840 Mustad
Thread; Black 8/0
Underbody; Closed cell foam, mid hook shank to back to bend
Abdomen; Black closed cell foam
Legs; black hackle to fit size #18 hook
Wing; white poly
Thorax; black closed cell foam

1. Thread base hook shank and bring thread about mid point on hook shank. Add Zap a Gap glue on top of thread. (this will hold foam in place)

2. Tie down closed cell foam towards back of hook to bend. Bring thread back to tie in point.

3. Abdomen. Fold cell foam over underbody and tie down.

4. Thread over a small section of the cell foam forming a narrow section between abdomen and thorax.
Tie in black hackle up against abdomen with hackle extending over hook bend.

5. Legs. Usually one or two wraps of good grade hackle is all you need for legs.

6. Wing post. Bring thread just behind loose cell foam and tie in wing post angling back through legs.

7. Bring thread just in front of loose foam and wrap thread to just shy of hook eye.

8. Thorax. Fold foam towards hook eye and tie down behind hook eye.

10; Finished ant

Here you can trim wing post to the length you want. Take a black permanent marker and cover wing post ends on thorax. Trim any excess to get a good profile of the ant. I always add a dab of head cement on finished head thread.

~doubletaper

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

2 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: DT'S Ant 2015/03/12 21:02:45 (permalink)
    Interesting and nicely done.  If your interested with fly tying and tying techniques by others, I find this guy informative and easy to follow.  Just getting the tools and a list of other materials to try my hand at tying.  I've had a fly fishing outfit for three years and it's still in the box.  I'm looking forward to trying my hand with pan fish this year.  I figured I can't hurt anybody if I'm in the boat out in the middle of the lake. (lol).  Tried casting with an old bamboo rod this past winter, certainly drew some strange looks from my Amish neighbors, as I stood in the snow whipping a fly rod.  I remember an old timer telling me there was nothing like an "ant" for catching crappie and gills.  Needless to say your board caught my eye.

Hope you find this guy and his tutorials interesting and helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/w...re=player_embedded#t=9

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re: DT'S Ant 2015/04/16 13:02:06 (permalink)
    I like it DT.  How does it ride?  Summertime trout are gonna love it.
    Jump to: