Segar line twists?

Author
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/21 12:49:08 (permalink)

Segar line twists?

Any body else on here use the Segar flourocarbon line?  I have never had line twist issues untill i started fishing the erie tribs and they told me this is the line that i need to be fishing with.  I am a diehard Berkely trilene fan and will probably switch to the vanish.  Do you guys think that the flourocarbon line is completely neccesary ?

Thanks guys and excuse the horrible spelling

6 Replies Related Threads

Big Indian
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Segar line twists? 2008/01/21 13:42:56 (permalink)
    Seagar or Pline fluorocarbon is what you want. If your spinnning use about 8 feet of it.  I used Vanish once to try to save a couple of dollars and it was junk.  Spend the extra money and buy 100% fluorocarbon.  You will be happy you did.  4lb works well on the tribs.  
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Segar line twists? 2008/01/21 13:44:39 (permalink)
    All i use is Seaguar lines.Had no problum on fly rod.Started using the centerpin and had a problum the Grand Max 5x tippet notting up,fixed that went to4x and no problum.Have straight 8lb. Seaguar on noodle rod,no problum.If you donot use a swivel,put a microswivel between your mainline and your tippet,this should solve the problum.
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Segar line twists? 2008/01/21 14:22:41 (permalink)
    Interesting i use a centerpin and i use Siglon f is my main line and i use fluorocarbon line made by Rio and have no problems with
    line twist and i use no swivel all.

Centerpin_drift!
    post edited by centerpin_drift - 2008/01/21 14:23:09

Get the Drift !!!!!
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Segar line twists? 2008/01/21 16:09:45 (permalink)
    I don't think a swivel is gonna help you......

When you put the line on the reel, this is how I do it and don't have any problems.

Flouro is differant than mono.
    When you are spooling the line, lay the spool flat on the ground. Reel in a few feet and check for twists'.
    If it is starting to twist, flip the spool over and crank some more. You will find out that it lays differantly on the factory spool. THis works...

Second, if you are reeling agianst your drag this will twist your line like crazy.

Last, manually flip your bail over after each cast. By using the reel to flip the bail over puts a loop everytime you do it.

If none of these things work, buy a larger spool reel. This will help, also. Some people use too small of a reel and the line gets twisted quickly.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Segar line twists? 2008/01/21 16:12:11 (permalink)
    To answer your main question...NO flouro for your main line is not needed. Use regular mono and a flouro leader. Tied togther with a uni to uni knot.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Segar line twists? 2008/01/21 18:07:57 (permalink)
    It doesn't really matter which way you put the fluro on its more than likely going to twist.  Save yourself the hassle and tie a chunk of fluro on the end of your regular mono either with a blood knot or a small micro swivel.  Its alot less of pain and saves you money when you can make 4' leaders out of a 200 yard spool... my 2 cents

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: