Skunked at Cossayuna

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/21 11:19:15 (permalink)

Skunked at Cossayuna

Finally got to this water yesterday at about 1pm.  I drove around for about a half hour trying to find a place to park. Finally a local told me you could park at "The Oaks" cottages on the east side without being bothered.  I found a small point nearby and set up my tipups with huge shiners hoping for muskies. A guy on a snowmobile stopped to chat and informed me the south end of the lake was where the muskies are (DOH!) Hence, I got no flags.  I tried jigging blindly hole to hole and also got diddly squat. The fishcam was useless, too dark to see anything under snowcover. Ice was solid and about 7".  Not very exciting buts that what it was.

6 Replies Related Threads

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Skunked at Cossayuna 2008/01/21 11:23:54 (permalink)
    The original plan was to fish Lake Lauderdale in Jackson.  I got misled by the current issue of NY Fish and Game. They claimed the muskie fishing through ice is great on this small lake and there was a parking lot for 200 cars.  They didnt mention that the gate was chained and there is no other access anywhere on the lake that isnt private property. Also no parking on the surrounding lake roads. Idiots should check their facts, gas is too expensive to waste a trip like that. So I went to Cossayuna for a skunking instead.  Then I went home to watch my Packers play like garbage to complete the trifecta.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Skunked at Cossayuna 2008/01/21 19:38:01 (permalink)
    Yank:

Where do you park when you fish Cossayuna??  I live nearby and may give it a try within the next week or so.  Have heard they have some large pike.

Eagle Ed
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Skunked at Cossayuna 2008/01/23 05:05:03 (permalink)
    Hiya Ed-    On the road that runs on west side of the lake, I believe its Cty rte 48 or 49, look on the right side for a wide dirt road at the sign for "THE OAKS".  This puts you a little bit north of the center of the lake. Its a very long walk to the south end where the muskies are supposed to be.  I have also heard guys like the west side of the lake about 1000 yards south of the big island. Again, its a long walk.  It gets windy there, bundle up!  Hope you have better luck than I.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Skunked at Cossayuna 2008/01/23 11:39:56 (permalink)
    Yank:

Going to try Great Sacandaga on Friday with Dakotaman if you are interested??  I would be willing to meet you at Saratoga Bait & Archery around 7:30am and then drive to meet Dakotaman at Stewarts in Mayfield at 9:00am.  We are planning on fishing until the afternoon for walleyes/pike/perch, so let me know.  You won't need your sled or an auger, as I have both. 

Eagle Ed
    dakota man
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Skunked at Cossayuna 2008/01/23 13:51:42 (permalink)
    Yank, hope you can make it. Lots of room, hope the fish show up also. Stewarts at 9am, seeya.

Dakota Man
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Skunked at Cossayuna 2008/01/23 19:11:03 (permalink)
    Dakotaman:

I've also invited a friend from Gloversville, who may meet us at Stewarts if his wife will let him go fishing (sort of like the Milwaukee Lite commercial for him).
    Also, another guy from Granville may come along, so hopefully we will have the ice covered with expert ice fishing anglers.
    See you on Friday.

Eagle Ed
    Jump to: