Advice on a 2 in 1 rod!

Author
StooB
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2014/06/12 03:53:50 (permalink)

Advice on a 2 in 1 rod!

I am looking to buy a fishing rod that can handle both long casting for trout in freshwater lakes from the water’s edge and cod from a boat or casting out reasonably heavy lures from a pier and as I am relatively new to the sport (and not yet buying my 2nd, 3rd, 4th rod etc yet…J   ) I want to get a 2 in 1 one does all type rod that can handle this!

I feel I would like a 10ft/3m rod for long distance casting but the weighting I am a little uncertain about.
I want to get long distances in my casting for trout and from the lakeside and the cod from the shore or pier but also use the rod for casting heavier lures to get cod.
I was think maybe would a medium light rod with a casting weight of 7-28 kgs be too light for the heavier lures and alternatively would a 15-35g cw rod be heavy for long casting for trout?

Confused!  :/
I know this situation isn’t ideal but I really need to buy just one rod.
If anyone can suggest a good rod for my dilemma, that would be most appreciated!!
Cheers

4 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Advice on a 2 in 1 rod! 2014/06/12 11:33:50 (permalink)
    Guessing you are not in the States, using metric weight in your description.  I was looking for what I think is a similar rod, able to cast 1-3oz. lures for surf fishing, but also use for some lighter fishing (free lining bait fish).  There are a ton more options in Europe, that I noticed on Ebay if that is where you are (and multi piece for easier transport).  I ended up settling with the following in 9' H.  http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Okuma-Celilo-Salmon--Steelhead-Spinning-Rods  It casts 2 oz. with no issue, but a bit lighter at the tip than I expected.  I gave it the acid test, whipping 2 oz. lead and fly, after a dozen casts, it proved that it could handle it.  The largest fish caught on it, was a 22" hybrid striped bass, maybe 5-7lbs.  I have read of guys having no problems with 15-20lb salmon.  Not the 10' that you want, or what I wanted, but close.  They do offer a 10', but longer butt section was not what I wanted.  Many others recommended the St. Croix (not sure of name), but also listed as a salmon rod.  Probably a much nicer rod, but I only use this rod about 10 days per year, so didn't feel the need to pay the premium.  I am happy with the rod myself.  If in the USA, ordering from FishUSA is the way to go.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Advice on a 2 in 1 rod! 2014/06/12 11:40:55 (permalink)
    Letting us know the lightest and heaviest lures you plan on throwing with it would help, but pt has you on the right track. I don't imagine you'd get much fight out of a small trout on a heavy action rod though.
    StooB
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Advice on a 2 in 1 rod! 2014/06/12 12:57:19 (permalink)
    I'm english but living/fishing in Norway. I understand what i need doesnt exist but im now going for a 9 foot 7-20 kg rod as i want to get trout mainly and that's a kind of strength limit recommendation and ill swap the spare spool out with a 15 lb line for the cod, that's a compromise but im sure it'll work :)
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Advice on a 2 in 1 rod! 2014/06/13 11:18:45 (permalink)
    To be honest with you, I was a little shocked at how light the tip of the heavy action rod is.  I was expecting much more back bone through the tip.  It is there in the lower portion, but could likely be used for 12" trout.  It cast a live alewife with no weight pretty easily.  I was pretty scared to toss 2oz. with it, after about a dozen not so hard casts, I started casting as hard as I could, and was doing just fine.  Now, I didn't try pendulum or ground casting.  A much different "Heavy" than my surf rod, which is about 2-3 times thicker at the tip.
    Jump to: