Hunting in the ANF

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/18 17:23:13 (permalink)

Hunting in the ANF

Took a 7 mile hike through some of the ANF today when I moved my log skidder in. Had to hike out seven miles because the trucker wouldn't go up the road. So I drove the skidder in and walked out.
Any of you fellas that hunt up in that country got my admiration. That is some tough country to get around in. And not a heck of a lot of game either..Saw 3 deer.. Not alot of tracks..Think I'll stick to the farms and creek bottoms where I'm at.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

17 Replies Related Threads

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/18 19:09:44 (permalink)
    Bing, I use to hunt the ANF in the 90s. I would see 50 deer before noon,never a buck. Now there is no food(nothing but mature trees and ferns) in the area I use to hunt.  NO FOOD=NO DEER. My buddy hunted the same spot 2 years ago. In 3 days he saw 3 deer.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/18 19:44:33 (permalink)
    Bings--Where on the ANF are you cutting? I did most of my hunting there in the 60's-70's.  
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/19 12:47:06 (permalink)
    NW of sheffield..FSR 259...

worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/19 16:30:10 (permalink)
    I got my bear near there Bings.  The "secret" to finding game around that area is to hunt the thicker cover.  Every year we see legal bucks in bear season.  More than a few rear their heads in gun season.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/19 17:52:19 (permalink)
    I popped a bear there in the 80's that a relative finished off a hundred yards away. There were a few good bucks around back then. Haven't hunted it in quite awhile now. You doing a clear cut or select?
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/19 19:13:56 (permalink)
    26 acre clear cut. Have to see what happens they plan on sending semis hauling 50ft trees off the hill on the snowmobile trail.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/19 19:26:49 (permalink)
    I've always been of the opinion that a clear cut in the middle of the forest less than 30 acres is no more than a deer magnet. I believe the reason there is so much deer damage is it draws whatever deer are in  a 1 mile or so radius ( approx 4 sq mi.) to a relatively small area where the sunlight promotes the growth they need. My position is if the clearcuts were 100 acres or so you could feed the deer in the area and still get suitable regeneration. You probably have more experience in this area and talk to more people involved in this arena than me.  I would be interested in your opinion.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/19 20:02:48 (permalink)
    S 10, I am a Forester and I feel the same way you do. They should be making 2-300 acre holes in the ANF. Small clearcuts get devastated by what few deer there are around. In the 80s I was buck hunting the last few days of buck around Sinnamahoning. The first couple days I was seing one or two deer/day. Then I came upon ~30-40 acre clearcut and the whole thing erupted with deer. ANF is similar and I have 50+ acres that borders it. The Gipsy Moths devastated it in the late 80s. We did a salvage+ cut a year when the oak trees left had a terrific mast. That winter we had long snow cover protecting those acorns. The next year the woods were carpeted with Oak Seedlings. That winter the deer must have camped there as the next summer on the 50 acres I could only find a couple seedlings in amongst the tops. They didn,t make the next winter. At a conference I asked a ANF Forester if they were planning on any cuts close enough to take the pressure off our property. He said as long as the deer were so numerous they had no plans of cutting. Well the deer are not plentyfull, what few are present  have nothing to eat in that mature forest. If there is food they will come from a long way. To the Foresters defence, they have to legally fight for any cutting they do on the ANF. If the organizations that fight the management policys on the federal land were held monetarily responsible for "our" lost revenue perhaps the Foresters could truely show the public multiple use management. Plus we could all benifit from the revenue.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 07:43:00 (permalink)
    Well said. I did notice on my walk that there were 4 big clearcuts in the area. Three of them were enclosed in deer fence..

I do feel sorry for an ANF forester. They have a tough job. They have to fight tooth and nail for every tree that gets cut. The stewards of the forest have to ask government officials if they can cut the trees that the stewards are responsible for.. Really silly..

I think larger clear cuts would help. As you say 30 acres of green in the ANF is nothing but a deer magnet.

One thing I wish they would change are their utilization clause. They make us take the wood down to an 8" diameter 8' long. On some private lands where we didn't take the wood and just felled it. It created a tangled mess that the deer had trouble browsing through and really helped the regeneration.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 09:06:01 (permalink)
    bingsbaits, I have never cared if all the wood and lowgrade was taken out. However in select cut situations I do require that the trees that are not cut do not get pinned by tops, and the trees that are marked to be cut I want droped. I had a Job recently that a horse crew worked. They must have decided that some sections were to long of a skid and merely girdled all the painted trees. Half the trees were perfectly healthy trees I was merely releasing some others. I didn't realize what he did untill the job was done and he wanted his bond back. He must have spent a day girdeling trees at the end of job when he gave up cutting. I would have told him to just leave that timber alone and I would include it in the next sale. Now I have ~6000ft of dead standing sawlogs in the woodlot. I was going to cut them but never got to it. Three years standing dead and soft maples to boot, they are dangerous cutting now.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 10:05:24 (permalink)
    I don't like girdling. Makes for a dangerous woods for a few years.

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 12:17:42 (permalink)
    bingsbaits, I agree completely , girdling does create a safety  problem.! And I hate trying to drop standing dead trees that are rotten, it really gives me the creaps. I don't climb trees with my climber around dead trees,as I have witnessed to many fall even on still days. A big dead oak fell close to me second day of buck last year, it was quite impressive.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 12:27:03 (permalink)
    I've always wondered what that was.  Why is it done?  There are a few dozen in a gamelands I hunt, and several on the private lot I hunt as well. 

You mean to tell me those things can drop at any moment?  
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 13:15:09 (permalink)
    T.T.
    Girdling can be a valuable tool for cavity dwelling birds and mammals.  As far as the hunting goes in the ANF, I saw 4 legal buck, shot the 3rd one which was a nice 8 point.  However, I have a good spot.
    post edited by scaremypsu - 2008/01/20 13:17:17
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/20 23:48:40 (permalink)
       scaremypsu, I know that girdling helps cavity nesters for awhile, and I have girdled many trees. However if you read what I was complaining about you would realize I was talking about a lot of trees in a small area. I intend to use girdling very little in the future. From now on I intend to just leave those hollow trees in the woods alive if I feel they are valuable to cavity dwellers why kill them. They will stand much longer alive.
       T.T. It is a tool to let some dead trees stand in the forest as den trees. They die the next summer because the only live tissue on the trunk of a tree is the cambian layer just under the bark. When that layer of cells is cut all the way around the tree it has no way to circulate between its roots and canopy. Most of the time when a dead tree comes down it is because the roots have rotted and it topples. Just take a look at the trees that have fallen and you will see that to be the norm. Four to seven years from now most of the 50 trees that cutter girdled on my property will fall, granted the trunks will break on some. Lets say 40 fall in that time period of 365*4=1460days,the probability is that one of those trees is going to fall on average every ~`36 days. Do you really want to stand in that corner of my woodlot on a windy day. Also the wind will drop a tree many times into good trees, where a good cutter will snake it down between the good trees the majority of times.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/24 04:12:38 (permalink)
    Everyone is so paranoid about clearcutting after the whole turn of the century thing here that we are neglecting it as our second best management tool........If you want to grow a really nice forest burn 5-600 acre parcels...it sweetens the soil and all kinds of things will pop up.....fire has been suppresed for too long....Talked to a few ANF employees who says they have started burning in some places but they have to be very quiet about it as you can imagine the stink it causes.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Hunting in the ANF 2008/01/24 23:35:17 (permalink)
    me and my boss went coyote hunting in the ANF last weekened. in the evening (pretty much dark) driving the back roads to our spot we saw 14 and in the early morning we saw 5, we had no problem finding deer tracks. but we also found 7 diffrent sets of coyotie tracks, with an average of 2 dogs per group.

saw 1 coyote.
    Jump to: