Why ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 13:11:00 (permalink)
Joe,

Go back, and re-read it. Active duty personnel on leave are not required to have a license, or the stamps.

Also a 1 day tourist license, INCLUDES all stamps.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 13:17:30 (permalink)
"Someone CHOSE to settle for a job making that kind of money. Which is why I said give me the job and I would do it. You better believe it"

And YOU chose to go into busimess rather than seek employment from a company, or agency that might provide a pension, and insurance. Secondly, nobody GAVE them that job, they went out and GOT it.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 15:03:51 (permalink)
I think everbody missed my point. I want to know why it cost me the same to fish my own state as I can Ohio & NY ? I have no problem paying the $37 for my license, I used to fish at least 150 days a year, now I have two little kids and that has changed some. I still get my monies worth out of it, but it just seems weird that I can fish as a non resident in state for $3 more than my home state, also were I pay a lot of taxes. That is my point ! Not saying our $37 is not worth it.
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 15:09:22 (permalink)
Jeb  I guess I for one did miss your point sorry about that 

As far as your question WHY?   I have no idea Wish I had an answer for you

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 17:28:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I worked as a Park Ranger while going to college and made $18,000.00 a year and NO health benefits, but the hours were good...every weekend and every holiday.

So lets get this strait... you made $18,000 a year while in college working every weekend and every holiday. Id say you did pretty well.

No, not just weekends and holidays, I worked full time including weekends and holidays and went to school at night for 8 years.

I'm not saying it's all that bad but when I hear someone say; the benefits are GREAT and the pay is GREAT and they DO nothing for it, I feel the need to set the record straight..

I'm not saying everyone that works for the state is a model employee, but there are allot of dedicated people who do a tough job with little respect or pay..

Ill agree with you here. I did the same thing working a crappy job while I went to school. And yes there are people who work for the state who deserve everything they get and then some. Unfortunately they are not the ones in the eyes of the public.
Muddogaug
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 18:32:46 (permalink)
For me the price of a license is like any hobby of mine its costly but I can afford it. What I think is bad in the cost is for my 16 year old nephew. I dont think he has even $37 dollars in fishing equipment. Let alone be able to afford $37 for a license. Here is a kid that lives outside of Wattsburg and might fish 5 times a year and does not have a job. It should be cheaper for the junior fishermen. (just my thoughts).
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 20:05:20 (permalink)
Hope nobody from Ohio or NY reads this or we may see an increase in Non-res lisc. fees before too long. I say that tongue in cheek. I think both the Pa res lisc. and Ohio and NY Non-res are a bargain. Jeb, as to why ? Who knows. I sure don't and am very content with things the way they are.  Dave
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 22:32:23 (permalink)
Because Ohio and NY do not stock 10000000000  steelhead smolts every
year.
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 22:35:48 (permalink)
Pete,

Think you are right on the money with that one. 

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
centerpin_drift
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 01:45:17 (permalink)
It's like anything you wanna play you have too pay. Case of beer Coors light $ 20  gas to Erie around trip Dodge Durango $85  P.A fishing lic, $37  Catching 1 steelhead or 50 steelhead PRICELESS!

Centerpin_Drift!

Get the Drift !!!!!
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 09:35:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: centerpin_drift

It's like anything you wanna play you have too pay. Case of beer Coors light $ 20  gas to Erie around trip Dodge Durango $85  P.A fishing lic, $37  Catching 1 steelhead or 50 steelhead PRICELESS!

Centerpin_Drift!

a case of coors light $20.00. why don't you save some money. buy a case of real regular coors beer, bring a 12oz.
mug and 288oz. of water. mix a 1/2 of glass of regular beer in with 1/2 glass of water. you'll save the price of another case and still be drinking coors light.
post edited by doubletaper - 2008/01/21 09:45:59

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 09:57:51 (permalink)
JEB, i believe we stock more trout than the other states is what the pgc will most likely say. the lake erie tax stamp is to help pay for the steelhead stocking and the trout tax stamp supplements the trout stockings and hatchery improvements is what i was told. if they start stocking browns in the erie tribs i'm sure the fish commision will have another reason to raise the permits to fish lisc.
i'm a person who will pay more for a lisc. but am against the increase. i believe the more the lisc. fee goes up the lisc. sales will go down. less money revenue= less fish stocking.
i'm also against the junior lisc. also which is another story!!  

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 10:33:11 (permalink)
DT,

A couple of corrections. The lake Erie stamp revenues are dedicated to access, NONE of those monies go toward stocking. Second, the PF&BC does not recieve general fund monies for their operating budget. Most, if not all others state's agencies do. That is the main reason. Also it is not just the number of Trout. The PF&BC stocks both trout, and warm water species in more water than any other state. The increase in Brown stockings at this point will be done by volunteer organizations, with little or no cost to the PF&BC.

Prior to the last increase ( the first in over 10 years ), Penna. licenses were among the lowest in the nation. They are now average, or slightly higher, and were set at a rate that will allow several years without additional increase. Keep in mind that the PF&BC can not simply increase fees. It takes legislative approval, which is not always easily forthcoming no matter how needed, or warranted. Many other states will no doubt see increases to a level equal to, or higher than our own before the next Penna. increase.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 10:43:22 (permalink)
License sales did indeed fall in the year following the increase, but increased the next year. Revenues did NOT fall.

2004 ( prior to the increase ) 
$15,373,000

2005 ( first year of the increase )
$18,627,000

$18,924,000

The numbers for 2007 are not up yet.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 12:06:55 (permalink)
spoonchucker, thanks for the info, i wasn't sure and glad you were able to clear that up...

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 15:24:02 (permalink)
We don't stock Kings, cohos & browns either. Browns are comming back but not from the PFBC.
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Why ? 2008/01/21 16:20:19 (permalink)
Doc,

I was being a little fishetious.

P
mxdad66
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: Why ? 2008/01/22 12:58:07 (permalink)
If anybody think's PA is too expensive,take some time and look into some of the western states,who have world class fishing,like PA & NY,I'll just say for steelhead,you will get a good reality check,wether resident or non. As far as the active duty military,a free ride to hunt & fish in whatever state they are stationed in.If they want to go into another state then give it too them at the resident fee.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Why ? 2008/01/22 13:11:30 (permalink)
Jeb,

Number of fish stocked and number of places to fish for them is why.  We got more stocked trout waters than a most states.  More water creates more need for regulation as well.

Whatever the case, I don't mind the price, personally.
HappyHookerHidi
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Why ? 2008/01/23 19:12:03 (permalink)

Tippy, you can bark all you want but when I see 8 guys doing the job of one guy, they shouldnt get a paycheck at all. So you can get mad about my comment all you want. Yeah yeah, state pay isnt great. But Ill tell you what... hand me $32,000 a year to be a fish culturist and give me a pension and you wont hear any complaining. If I could raise fish and get paid for it all the while doing very little you bet I would do it. As for my english... sorry, didnt major in that one.

Better yet, take over my business. Develop websites day in and day out, make decent money and watch the govt take 30%. Have absolutely 0 for a pension and no medical insurance.

Keep dreaming!  Quite apparent your not intelligent enough, nor will you ever be, to work for the state!
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Why ? 2008/01/24 10:31:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: HappyHookerHidi

Tippy, you can bark all you want but when I see 8 guys doing the job of one guy, they shouldnt get a paycheck at all. So you can get mad about my comment all you want. Yeah yeah, state pay isnt great. But Ill tell you what... hand me $32,000 a year to be a fish culturist and give me a pension and you wont hear any complaining. If I could raise fish and get paid for it all the while doing very little you bet I would do it. As for my english... sorry, didnt major in that one.

Better yet, take over my business. Develop websites day in and day out, make decent money and watch the govt take 30%. Have absolutely 0 for a pension and no medical insurance.

Keep dreaming!  Quite apparent your not intelligent enough, nor will you ever be, to work for the state!

I guess I should point out that your not that intelligent either.  Don't ya hate that when you quote someone for lack of intelligence then pull a bonehead comprehension move like that.  That's why you shouldn't do it!!!
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Why ? 2008/01/24 10:36:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I guess I should point out that your not that intelligent either.  Don't ya hate that when you quote someone for lack of intelligence then pull a bonehead comprehension move like that.  That's why you shouldn't do it!!!

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Why ? 2008/01/24 11:04:57 (permalink)

u're a dik\
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Why ? 2008/01/24 15:44:47 (permalink)

HappyHookerHidi

titleAndStar(5,0,0,false,"","")
New Angler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Katty

They dug it straight out along the wall. Made it nice for the fish and the fishermen. I do not see any problems with it.

Thank you, that is exactly what happened!  Why would I have made a story like that up?  We were upset that fisherman would try to get the people, who are providing them with their fishery, in trouble.  It happened mid-last week and my husband and friends said TR went from several hundred fish to well over 1000 After clearing about 20 ft.  As a follow up, they (the hatchery guys) were able to produce their valid permit to do this.  My husband warned me that this forum has greatly changed over the past several years with a whole lot of imature and uninformed posters.  He was most correct!
No duud we are the rude ones ..... Remember the last famous quote (above)we must have been the ones that narked as well guilty , judge , jury , executioner .
HappyHookerHidi
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Why ? 2008/01/24 17:36:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Not at all, it just proved my point.  He didn't catch that, "you're" the one that did.  He was only capable of name calling, the true sign of intelligence. 
FreshSteelfeel
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Why ? 2008/01/24 22:55:06 (permalink)
 Stop cryin get the license for christmas and somebody else pays for the **** thing..... go fishing
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: