Jig question?

Author
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/18 12:09:31 (permalink)

Jig question?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question guys but i just want to know, i am pretty new as far as steelhead fishing goes, but have trout fished western PA my entire life.  I also have used jigs for quite some time sometimes with no float and sometimes under a float just leting the riffles in the water give it action.      alot of the guys i see fishing jigs in the erie tribs will work ther bober ever so slightly to give it action, and when in roam do as the romans do so thats what i did my last tirp up and it worked great.  My question is do any of you just put the jig on under the float and simply let it drift down through? or do you produce the most fish giving it a little bit of extra action?

I just started tying my own jigs and made a bunch of pink maribou and flashbou jigs for this weekend in the 1/32 size. 

any of you guys got any other favorite colors or sizes for jigs?

Thanks alot guys~!

7 Replies Related Threads

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/18 12:24:00 (permalink)
    Youll get so many answers to your questions.

Just do what works for you. I know for me I get best results floating it through the current. Some tip it with maggots or wax worms.

My favorite colors are chartruse thread with peach maribou and black thread with white and black maribou and sparkle flash in both.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/18 12:59:30 (permalink)
    If i am fishing min foo's i fish it under a float and let the current take it, if i am fishing frog water i twitch it and make it dance. If i am fishing straight flash jig i fish it no float and i am making it dance the whole time....Gotta love watching a big with cotton mouth come up and slam a jig!

Centerpin_drift!
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/18 14:35:23 (permalink)
    Yeah the factory hooks are garbage. If they don't straigten out on you, you catch about 4 fish on one jig and it's done for.
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/18 17:16:20 (permalink)
    Honestly i am not much for min foos this has been the first  in a long time i have used them i bought some the company name is P.A lures Jenna Boo jigs size 1/64 in white and had no trouble with them at all and i caught alot of fish off the jigs With only one hook breaking off and that was my fault getting the hook out.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/18 17:53:03 (permalink)
    In low water conditions i'll twitch the jig but 90% of the time just let it drift with the current and move and flutter on its own.  I tie and use only marabou jigs so as to have good movement created by the water currents.  With deer hair or other synthetics it may be a good idea to twitch em a little....

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    lilyutz710
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/18 18:07:59 (permalink)
    purple maribou on a #14 size hook with purple flash and its called alaskabou
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Jig question? 2008/01/20 14:56:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lilyutz710

purple maribou on a #14 size hook with purple flash and its called alaskabou

not quite an alaskabou is more complicated then that. Ive tied about 6 of them last week for someone going to ontario and they werent that simple but then its all how you tie them.

http://business.virgin.net/british.classic/winter-popsicle.html

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Jump to: