snagging

Author
mick2222
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2013/12/03 13:34:07 (permalink)

snagging

Fishing at the legion hole on 12/2/13 and a guy was snagging fish with a huge rooster tail lure so I called him on what he was doing and he said he hooked it in the mouth when it was hooked in the side of head so her only threw it back because he was caught and then he cast out and does it again. You know who u are old man. Fish the right way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Replies Related Threads

spawnbag
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: snagging 2014/01/23 17:26:57 (permalink)
    I'm from MI, but used to fish PA at times.  I remember one Sept when I went to PA, and started out at Walnut Creek.  There was a crowd of people lined up, just upstream from the marina (near the mouth), and they were ALL trying to snag Steelhead with 2# line, and tiny little hooks.  Many of them didn't even put a bait on their hooks.  They would just toss their rig into these shallow dips in the river bottom, wait til they felt a fish hit the line, then yank to stick a hook in the fish.  And, of course, they just broke all the fish off, because they were using 2# line.  It disgusted me, so I moved up to the "M" hole, which had about 10 fish in it.   I could tell because it was low and clear, and I could see everything.   I tossed out a pink spawnbag, and just let it lie on the bottom.  Eventually I saw a fish swim over to it, and suck it up.   I caught that fish, and 5 others;  and hardly anyone wandered by.  When I walked back to my vehicle, the snaggers were still at it, full force.   I haven't gone back.  

When the fish won't bite, I still have a great day of fishing.   Just a bad day of catching.   I can live with that.  

Every single time I have been to Walnut, and have gone up to the run just past the "M" hole (it is a chute), there were people trying to snag fish out of that fast flow.  It never fails.   I don't for one second believe all the fish I have seen caught there bit.   But when they are stacked in a chute that is 2 feet wide, and 2 feet deep, it is pretty easy to line them.   Whatever floats your boat, I guess.   I fish for biters.  
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: snagging 2014/02/19 13:55:47 (permalink)
    Always have a few that ruin the experience for us normal people.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: snagging 2014/02/20 19:34:27 (permalink)
    There used to be this guy in the late 80s that would use a humongous treble hook 30# line and he would take a piece of a balloon for visual purposes. I would see him there ( above Legion holes ) standing for hours just trying to rip fish. I asked him about his rig and all,and i asked him if he realized it was much easier to just catch them legal. I would catch 10 fish to his 1. I don't think he even understood what I was saying to him? 
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    Re: snagging 2014/02/25 19:29:11 (permalink)
    Unless your an expert, I think snagging is waaaay harder than catchin em on the natural.

BH
    Jump to: