Tionesta - River

Author
keneyeam
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/13 18:40:36 (permalink)

Tionesta - River

I see folks fish both rivers in tionesta every time temp moves above 33.  Lets see some reports.    I truly dont expect a report but would like to know where to catch some blue dots when the waters cold?

5 Replies Related Threads

aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Tionesta - River 2008/01/14 08:38:49 (permalink)
    Not sure what a blue dot is.  Never heard that term before.  Also there is only one river in Tionesta.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Tionesta - River 2008/01/14 14:02:47 (permalink)
    Actually if you count the one coming from the dam to the Allegeny as one and then the Allegeny there are indeed two.
    Jester
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Tionesta - River 2008/01/14 16:06:11 (permalink)
    Why do we need a 'report'?  To add another 4-5 boats to an already over crowded and over fished stretch of river?

It's not rocket science . . . take a look off of the bridge on your way into town.  The places you see boats up and down the river are the places the Walleye hold.  If they're hitting what you've got, you'll get them.  If they're not, you won't.  They may or may not be biting on a given day like anyplace else.  Unlike French Ck. where certain holding spots almost ALWAYS hold fish, the Allegheny in the winter can be tricky.  It's a big, deep river there . . . as deep as 27 feet in a couple of spots (very deep for the upper Allegheny) . . . and on any given day they could be from 4 ft of water to 20 ft.  Conditions dictate what they're eating . . . could be hitting jig n' twister, bucktail and minnow/scent, or a good old fashioned minnow on a hook.  

Weather/Barometric pressure seem to be biggest triggers, although until recently we could always catch a couple each, even on a bad day, when the water was any shade less than choc milk brown.  When water's on the way up or down, or too brown, they get lockjaw and you literally need to bounce it off of their nose to raise them.  If you like winter Walleye fishing, then get off your PC, and instead of READING ABOUT OTHERS FISHING . . .actually hit the water:-)

"Blue Dots" are a riffle runner type minnow found in the Allegheny, best collected by 'fishing' for them in riffles with maggots and SMALL hooks.  Takes skill and patience to get your 50 in the bucket, but if you have a good cold water source in which to store them, worth it during the summer months.  They seem to disappear during the cold months (November-Late April) for watever reason. 

Having said all of that, you don't need them for winter Walleye fishing.  I'll take a nice, hardy 3-4" creek chub over them at this time of year.  Even the 'shad' type shiner or suckers sold at the local bait shops will work when the Eye's are biting.  

AND FINALLY . . . enjoy your time on the water and preserve the fishery.  Take only what you KNOW YOU'LL EAT and release the others to fight another day.  Earn your bragging rights with a camera so they live to fight again and most importantly, reproduce. 
    Jetboater
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Tionesta - River 2008/01/14 18:41:34 (permalink)
    Amen, Jester.  Can't catch 'em from the couch.  Your post does make me want to take a drive up there, though.
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Tionesta - River 2008/01/15 07:34:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Jester.  I never heard the term  before.  I have not fished the river in winter in a couple of years.  Pita with my little one now.  I miss it. 

Also jakotab from the dam down is Tionesta creek still not the river, but still nice water.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    Jump to: