No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl

Author
bcain
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/22 00:40:43 (permalink)

No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl

Does anyone use No Knots Quick Snaps or Quick Swirl lure connectors? If so, what are your opinions on them. I would like to start using them because when I am trying a lot of different lures, I hate to have to keep tying on new lures. 

17 Replies Related Threads

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/06/22 18:56:59 (permalink)
      Use to 'bout 15 - 20 yrs ago most ov the time for Byrd fishin'. loved 'em but were a little hard to find 'round home.

I used the No-Knots Fas Snaps Wilson-Allen Corp or maybe it was Norman's or something along those lines??
    Since then I just spend the extra minute & tie the Palomar knot to the lure.

crappy
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/06/22 19:30:46 (permalink)
    Maybe you can answer another question then. The palomar knot is my favorite because it is the easiest one for me to tie. It seems like I have ten thumbs sometimes. My question or problem is if I am trying a bunch of different lures, I seem to go through a lot of line. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the nature of the beast?
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/06/22 20:48:44 (permalink)
    There a nothing wrong with a pain old snap. If I'm tying a Palomar to a lure I'll probably use 6-10"of line depending on lure size. I usually use a trilene knot to tie to a split ring of a lure (flouro). It does use less line to tie, with some practice but that's not why I use it.
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/06/22 23:33:31 (permalink)
    That is what I am saying. When I tie a Palomar knot, I use a lot of line. I absolutely stink at tying knots. I do find it easier to tie knots in heavier line than say 4lb test. I think I am gonna try the No Knots. I just wondered if using them messes up the action of the lure?
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/06/23 02:14:36 (permalink)
     I had another brain fart again. The Norman Lures SPEED CLIPS are the ticket for you if you are after strong fightin' fishes. I always took the O Ring off the lure ( if they came with one from stock ) when using Normans. Still like to tie straight to the lure without any snaps for top water Byrd action. Helps to keep the lure from diving & less crap hangin' up on the nose ov the lure. The Speed clips weren't too bad if you defiantly want to take the short cut.

crappy
    BeaverCoangler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/21 19:16:10 (permalink)
    I have a question, I too was a direct tie to lure fisherman, but I fish 3-4 times a week & was re-spooling my rods about twice a year. I've been  trying to use more snap swivels this year rather than direct tie ( which I'm very confident in), now some lures come with a recommendation to use a snap swivel, but other fisherman have told me that  fish can see that swivel, even the really tiny ones, so most should be direct tied. SO my question is, what are others experiences direct tie V snap swivel??  I'm very curious...
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/21 21:38:57 (permalink)
    Beaver, there comes a time when you have to stop thinking about it and just make a decision.  I too fish 3-4 times a week but respool my reels every 2 to 3 YEARS.  Line twist is not an option for me and does not justify the expense of respooling twice a year.  I NEVER tie direct to lure or direct to hook.  Always have a swivel snap.  Can the fish see it?  Who knows.  All I know is that I catch plenty of fish, all with a swivel snap on: steelhead in the streams, trout in the streams, northerns with a steel leader attached, and just this passed week, numerous walleye on Reef Runners attached with a huge****snap because that's all I had in my box because I forgot to restock on some smaller ones.  And think about all the types of fish you catch while perch fishing with a big****crappie rig that for sure can be seen by the fish.  If you want to keep your line on for several seasons just go with the swivel snap.  They're not preventing you from catching fish.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/21 21:44:05 (permalink)
    bcain,  I think it just comes with practice.  I too have alot of tag end left to clip off after the knot is secured.  I am getting better with some knots.  My worst is that rapala knot when tying on a larger steelhead fly when I have the 8 wt out in the creeks.  That loop is just huge on the finished knot and looks like a real ortho tied it.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/22 08:51:23 (permalink)
    I use the Kwik Klips ? (whichever brands looks like the letter R) for 90% of my fishing.  Always for panfish, steelhead and ice fishing and often for the others.  You do have to make sure they are strong enough for steelhead if you want to try them for that,  as some will break or bend right away. 

If I plan on using them for steelhead I will test them beforehand.  I just tie one to my line and use another long piece of heavy line threaded through the opening where the lure should go.  Jerk and pull as hard as you can to see if it will bend or break.  If I find a batch that is strong  enough I go buy more of the same and stock up for steelhead season.  The weaker ones are still ok for panfish etc.

They save a ton of time if you don't mind using them.  One thing I am lax on however is retieing them after a couple of fish.  Also occasionally a fish will manage to twist the hook or lure out of the klip but to me they are still worth using.
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/22 23:18:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't had the chance to fish in over a month. I have to take a trip out to Cabelas because none of my local mom and pop shops or Wally World have them. When I was young, I always used a snap swivel but I was always fishing with live bait and snelled hooks. I would just snap asnelled hook on with a couple split shots about 18" up under a float. I always caught fish. Now that I would like to be a better artificial bait fisherman, I always wondered if the snap swivels were affecting my catch rate. 
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/23 07:33:08 (permalink)
    IMO, if they can see the snap, they can definitely see the big A treble hooks too. if your worried about visibility, just tie a few feet of flouro leader on the end of your main line and use the leader to retie new baits on. Should at least cut your main line loss from knots by like 75%. As you should be able to tie 4 or so baits per one leader knot.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/23 07:41:36 (permalink)
    Non-slip mono loop, yo.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/23 07:56:53 (permalink)
    Werd
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/24 20:46:30 (permalink)
    I think it really depends on the lure to if you lose any action from a swivel..  I myself tie on every lure I throw now and seem to have slightly better results.  I would actually say use a black fine wire leader if throwing jerkbaits, or cranks mostly for the extra protection from toothy critters.  I don't like the silver ones at all I fell some fish that rely on sight notice them more than the black ones (which they notice also) but not as much.  As for "wasting line" to me I notice I use more line tying on 4"-6" baits than I do straight tying hooks and finesse rigs or smaller ultra-light lures...
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/25 23:22:58 (permalink)
    I use a Palomar knot for almost anything. It may not be the correct knot for everything I use it for but it works for me. I even use it to tie on small hooks while fishing for panfish. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to what knot is best for this or that. My only complaint is I use a lot of line with it. I also stink at tying any other knot. It may sound stupid but I have a hell of a time tying my line to my spools with an arbor knot. I know how to tie it. It just seems like my fingers don't do what I want them to do. As for the Quick Snaps or quick swivel, I think I am gonna try them just for the quickness in changing lures. I have never been a lure fisherman but, as I get older, I find myself wanting a little more challenge rather than just lobbing a crawler out there. I haven't fished in a month. It has been too hot lately. The weather is pretty nice now so I will be getting back out.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/26 00:39:01 (permalink)
    http://www.google.com/url...;bvm=bv.49784469,d.aWM
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2013/07/26 00:43:52
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re:No Knots Quick Snaps pr Quick Swirl 2013/07/29 00:41:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link to the video. I am definitely gonna try them. Saves a bunch of time and line.
    Jump to: