Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff

Author
silverman47
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/04 13:53:00 (permalink)

Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff

First off for all you guides, I wish I could hire one but can't afford that.  Now to the point.  I keep hearing these great stories about the fly guys fishing the fast stuff or the skinny water with fantastic results.  I have never been able to figure out how to do this.  My best luck has been tailouts, the heads of pools etc.  I realize at this time of year the steelies are hanging out more in the pools and deeper stuff, but i would like to learn this technique for next fall.  i usually use a small strike indicator, and minumal shot, as heavier amounts of shot either lead to snags or snagging fish, which I am definately not a fan of.  i like hooking them fair.

Thanks for any help and good luck

8 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/04 16:00:33 (permalink)
    At one point, I was in that same boat. I never use to catch fish in the fast stuff. I later found out that it was just my confidence. One day I went out and commited a whole day to just the faster water. To my surprize, I started catching fish.

My biggest advice would be to NOT use an indicator. Bottom bounce with a good amount of lead.
    As far as snags go....Start with the heaviest and adjust until you don't snag anymore. With practice, you will learn to "read" the water to determine the amount of shot to use.

If you are snaggin' too many fish, try and adjust the distance between your fly and shot. That is the most common reason for snagging too many fish.

Also, don't spend too much time fishing over slate. Pick gravel areas with pockets.

Just my advice.....

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/04 16:10:25 (permalink)
    And just to add something....

When fishing the faster water, a drag-free drift is critical. Get right in there and high stick. What that means is....
    The longer the rod the better, but a standard 9 footer is fine. (if you have a young shoulder..lol) By extending your rod up as high as you can will eliminate any fly line to touch the water. This will give you better, drag-free drifts which is the MOST important.

The quicker you can mend that line or get it all out of the water, the quicker that fly will sink into the strike zone.

Hope this helps...Good luck!
    post edited by mikeg - 2008/01/04 16:11:11

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    silverman47
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/04 20:38:00 (permalink)
    Thank you mike for the good advice,  The longer flyrod i've got an 11' 1/2" 5/6 redington, just for that purpose.  I can't agree with you anymore on respecting the landowner, I am a firm believer in this also.  Maybe i'll catch you around sometime.  Hoping to fish the middle of next week!!!

Silverman47
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/04 22:05:45 (permalink)
    Fast water is simple when the fish are there.  You should be able to do just fine with a strike indicator, just shorten it up a bit as the fast water is usually shallower.  You want a drag free drift, but you also don't want to be dragging bottom. Just a nice steady drift just off the bottom.  Not all fast water is the same, you have to fish the cuts in the shale bottom streams we have and as mentioned above, it seems the gravel areas are always good holding spots even in the fall when the fish aren't spawning, the gravel creates current breaks where the fish will stop to hold on their way up. The easiest time to fish the fast water on PA tribs is the fall when the water is up but with just enough visibility that you can see the bottom, but not really the fish.  Usually the tan light colored bottom won't hold many fish(usually, not Always) but those darker green looking cuts are money, usually the first drift through, bam.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/05 16:41:46 (permalink)
    hey still hows it going been banging the steel up erie been trying to get john to go up
     but he has basketball games to take care of i am sure we will get there when his games slow down a bit

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/05 21:10:44 (permalink)
    Fishing fast water is fun but can take awhile to learn.  You need to learn how to read the fast water.  I taught a good friend of mine how to fish the fast water for steel this year.  He would see a fish holdin in the fast water and fish for just that fish.  Most times when fishin fast water, ignore the fish you see.  It's generally the fish you don't see that your gonna catch.  I use a float mainly to help keep the line from rolling under rocks.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/06 23:20:55 (permalink)
    If you do not like using extra weight,weight your flies with some wire on the hook before you make the fly.Try using a fast sink leader with a 4' tippet,will get the fly down with no additional weight.
    fishnabarrel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Need guidance on fishing the fast stuff 2008/01/15 20:04:46 (permalink)
    thats some good advice
    Jump to: