Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended

Author
fishink
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 217
  • Reward points: 0
2012/12/01 04:43:07 (permalink)

Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended

I've written about Iceland on my site and elsewhere. I continue to recommend the place to anyone who is able to visit. In my opinion, it's one of the best fisheries on earth.

For those of you in the Eastern US, Iceland is a short trip offering great fishing for native fish in a pristine environment. There is an abundance of landlocked and sea run fish -- arctic char, brown trout, and Atlantic salmon. In less than 6 hours, depending where exactly you're coming from, you can be on the ground at Keflavik International. Flights are of course available from other parts of the the country too, with connections. You can find good deals at Kayak (if you can't find anything, try flying into JFK in New York, then taking a direct flight from there -- this can save you a lot of money). Long weekend trips are even possible if you plan ahead.

The weather is surprisingly mild for a large part of the year. During the fishing season (April - October) the weather is usually in the 50's to low 60's. Bright sun and clear skies is the norm. Angling is available all over. A number of volcanic lakes, rivers and streams are open to fishing, some even within the limits of Reykjavik. Fly and spin fishing is available, but many places do not allow the use of bait. You can pick up a fishing card that gives you access to close to 3 dozen waterways.

Most of the water is out in the open, often far from homes and roads, with few to no people anywhere in sight. The usual background is a mixture of green pastures and geological features. 

I fished with Heimir Bjarnason on my first visit to Iceland. He was very knowledgeable and had a good approach. He can take you out on guided trips (picking you up at your hotel and supplying all the equipment) or simply give you the info you need to fish on your own (permits, regulations, info, directions, etc.). Iceland's road are in great condition and easy to navigate. Car rental is pretty cheap, and maps and GPS are readily available.

It's not too difficult to set up your own trip if you're so inclined. There's a lot of info available online, and much of it is in English (Icelanders speak English in addition to their native tongue).

In addition to the fishing, there's a lot to see and do. I think a lot of anglers would be especially interested in visiting places like the massive Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir (which all geysirs in the world get their name from). Thingvellir national park, Vatnajökull glacier and Kerith crater. The Wikitravel entry on Iceland has a lot of good information: http://wikitravel.org/en/Iceland

If you have a chance, you should really check the place out at least once in your life. I truly doubt you'll regret it.

post edited by fishink - 2012/12/01 04:44:39

8 Replies Related Threads

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 08:13:25 (permalink)
    I catch bigger fish 5mins from the haus.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 08:19:04 (permalink)
    Ps y u no use ur terryaKie Pol?

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 09:08:37 (permalink)
    If I get to wear one of those cool hats....I'm in.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    fishink
    Avid Angler
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 09:15:22 (permalink)
    The hat came from Peru. Just brought it along with me.

As to the size of the fish, they get much larger than what I was able to catch on that trip. Sure there are places where you can get them bigger. Oak Orchard in NY puts up tons of big browns every year (not so many arctic char however). It's not all about the size of the fish though, at least for me. The air is clean, the water is crystal clear, lots of native fish reproducing in the wild, tons of room/very few other anglers, etc. In my opinion, it's one of the really great places to fish, and it gets very little attention considering how easy it is to reach from the eastern US.
    fishink
    Avid Angler
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 09:19:56 (permalink)
    This was the biggest char. 

I caught another right around the same size in the River Holaa, but I didn't bring my camera along for that.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 10:29:56 (permalink)
    Not a lot of bulk to those fish.Lots of competition for food or lack of it?

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    fishink
    Avid Angler
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 21:29:43 (permalink)
    The brown was actually a lot fatter than it looks in the picture. By weight it was bigger than some other fish I've caught that look bigger in photos. I think it's because it was more streamlined. The lake there is fed by ground water. At the far end of the lake it becomes a river. There's no dam or anything like that, so the fish move back and forth. They spend a lot of time in moving water, dropping way downstream and then coming back up at other times. I think that has a lot to do with it.

And in general the wild/native trout I've caught almost always seem to be a lot sleeker than stocked fish, even when those have been in the river for a while. Sea-run trout are especially long and slender.

I'd say the char were right in the middle. About the same proportions you could expect from a hatchery rainbow of similar lengths. Those were what I came to catch. The brown was a bonus. There are other waters that are better for browns.

There's not a ton of competition, but the food is limited. The only food fish are the occasional 3-spine stickleback and juvenile trout/char. There are only 5 species of freshwater fish in the whole country. Insects are even limited. There are some midges, but not much else. Iceland doesn't have any mosquitoes for example. Snails make up a part of the diet. The fish that drop down into the sea can feed freely there though.

One of the most interesting environments in Iceland is Lake Thingvellir, the biggest body of water in the country. The char there have evolved into several different strains. There is a large piscivorous variety, a mid-sized opportunist variety, and another plankton-eating variety that stays very small (and serves as a food fish for the larger varieties).

And of course there are some real monsters in Iceland. I didn't get into any, but I was more pleased with the fish I got there than I have been with some much larger fish caught elsewhere. It's a place and an experience that is really difficult to capture with words and even photos. "You had to be there," really applies.

There are plenty of pictures online of big fish coming out of Iceland.

(This is Heimir Bjarnason, btw).

Atlantic salmon fishing is especially good:

post edited by fishink - 2012/12/01 21:36:56
    fishink
    Avid Angler
    Re:Fishing in Iceland: Very highly recommended 2012/12/01 21:38:29 (permalink)
    Here's a good report on some of the huge browns (up to 20 pounds that came out of Thingvallavatn early this year, with pictures: http://www.anglingiceland.is/FEATURES/nr/4228
    Jump to: