How to catch more fish?

Author
achilles1911
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/29 14:48:31 (permalink)

How to catch more fish?

so im not much of a fisherman, but i recently bought a crappy rod because here at my girlfriends house there are some ponds out back with lots of fish in them. before i bought a fishing rod i was using like a bamboo stick with a tiny hook on it and using bread ive been catching little tiny fish, which actually kept me entertained for quite a while.  But i decided that i hate using bread because it doesnt stick very well to my hook and the fish always grabbed it and took off or sometimes even the water current would rip it off my hook.  so i bought a cheap rod and reel and ive been using like a rubber worm and i just put a fish hook through it.  i only caught one fish the whole day (fairly decent size), and i was outside fishing for almost 2 1/2 hours.  I know there are fish in there because i can see them jumping up catching food on the surface, and i can see big ripples appear suddenly every once in a while.  But they completely left my hook alone! does anyone have any recommendations as to a universal lure that i can use that will draw all the fish in to it? or some other type of bait i can use that sticks better to my hook? (i really liked using worms but they are a little hard to find and i dont know where they sell them around here). i prefer using a lure because that way i dont have to spend money on bait or i dont have to keep putting bait back on the hook everytime a wave knocks it off my hook!

thanks to anyone who replies! -danny

17 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/29 15:00:17 (permalink)
    Berkley Gulp Alive 1" minnows in either chartruese or black/silver shad.

Fish them on a 1/64oz jig head with cast and slow retrieve, or under a bobber.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    KingKool
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/29 17:46:32 (permalink)
    hard to beat these guys....................

what fish doesn't like these??? Comes in all sizes and colors.............
      Rebel Crawfish

4 out of 3 people don't understand fractions.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/29 18:37:33 (permalink)
    I also recommend The Berkley Gulp Alive 2 inch or 2.5 inch in black or silver shad, fire tiger and chartreuse. I use the 2" or 2.5" to weed out the smaller fish, fished under a slip bobber or regular bobber your choice.  
    I just started panfishing more often this fall. I was never a believer in the gulp minnows until I gave them a shot, Now I prefer them over live bait. Cheaper, and just as effective especially in cold weather.  
    I've never fished with the 1" they look so small to be effective, but I may have to give them a shot.  ~ slab do you find yourself catching more dinks using the 1" ??
    if you're fishing a pond I would reccomend a floating rapala, anything that dives will prob get caught up in weeds to much.

Got Walleye???
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/29 18:43:46 (permalink)
    KingKool

hard to beat these guys....................

what fish doesn't like these??? Comes in all sizes and colors.............
    Rebel Crawfish

+ 1 ... love this lure on rocky bottoms, great for walleye and smallies. Used them alot on the upper allegheny.

Got Walleye???
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/29 19:55:26 (permalink)
    Try a small rooster tail spinner in blue/white color. It's very effective. Cast it out and retrieve it slowly.  You can use spinners most of the year, even in the winter.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/29 20:40:49 (permalink)
    TheBlueLagoon

I also recommend The Berkley Gulp Alive 2 inch or 2.5 inch in black or silver shad, fire tiger and chartreuse. I use the 2" or 2.5" to weed out the smaller fish, fished under a slip bobber or regular bobber your choice.  
    I just started panfishing more often this fall. I was never a believer in the gulp minnows until I gave them a shot, Now I prefer them over live bait. Cheaper, and just as effective especially in cold weather.  
    I've never fished with the 1" they look so small to be effective, but I may have to give them a shot.  ~ slab do you find yourself catching more dinks using the 1" ??
    if you're fishing a pond I would reccomend a floating rapala, anything that dives will prob get caught up in weeds to much.

I'll use the 2-2.5" during the late spring and into the summer when the crappie seem to be looking for a bigger bait. When the water drops down to below 50 degrees though, I'll start switching back to smaller baits. Late fall, winter, and early spring are all times when I will only use the 1". I don't really catch that many dinks on them. The dinks are usually looking for something even smaller than the 1" minnows in the colder water. At least, that has been my experience. I do have all of the sizes and colors that you mentioned though. My Gulp Minnows are like American Express to me. I don't leave home without them! And I've caught walleye, catfish, largemouth, and smallmouth on them too. On the 1" I've caught crappie, gills, punkinseed, perch, a 32" channel cat, white bass, walleye, largemouth, smallmouth, steelhead, pelletheads, giant brown trout in NY, and sheephead. Love those things.

Those Rebel Craws are great for rocky bottoms like in streams, creeks, and rivers, but I think this dude is fishing a pond. The pond is probably full of panfish and largemouth. Go with rubber worms, Gulp minnows, and floating Rapalas. This time of year, fish slowly.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/30 07:32:11 (permalink)
    worms under a bobber will catch everything in the pond.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/30 07:53:02 (permalink)
    Mr.Slickfish

worms under a bobber will catch everything in the pond.

very true, but he says they are " a little hard to find" LOL. And he doesn't know where they sell them around there.

Look under a big rock- use anything found under big rock. You will catch some fish.

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/11/30 10:27:56 (permalink)
    Worms under a bobber will definitely work. They sell worms in the sporting goods dept at Walmart. Any sporting goods store will have bait and some gas stations have them.

fishink
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/01 03:04:45 (permalink)
    Depending on the size and species, Berkley gulp maggots often do as well as, or better than, live bait. And they're more durable. You can pick up a jar at most places that have a decent supply of fishing equipment (bait shops, Gander Mountain, Wal-Mart) or online (FishUSA, Amazon, etc). Fish them on a small hook or jig head under a float. Twitch the line occasionally. I've used these with a lot of new anglers to great success.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/03 11:07:36 (permalink)
    So did you try any of these ideas out Achillies ? interested in hearing what you pulled out of the ponds!

Got Walleye???
    fishink
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/03 22:34:53 (permalink)
    Yeah, me too.
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/05 20:04:21 (permalink)
    Especially the rooster tail 
    MossyOakD
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/06 14:42:09 (permalink)
    Most of all patience... I give +1 to the Rebel Craw though
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/06 20:09:39 (permalink)
    One of these in 1/16th oz. with a minnow head on the hook.. Fish under a slip bobber.

post edited by Mikastorm - 2012/12/06 20:11:02

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/07 09:32:53 (permalink)
    ^^ Those roadrunner jigs crush the crappie!!

Got Walleye???
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    Re:How to catch more fish? 2012/12/09 20:08:42 (permalink)
    MossyOakD

Most of all patience... I give +1 to the Rebel Craw though

I can't fish those things without snagging up and losing them.  If there's a trick to it, please let me know. It's diffidently one not on my list.  
    Jump to: