Blew it on Saturday Morning

Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/12 12:13:51 (permalink)

Blew it on Saturday Morning

Missed a really nice, high, heavy 8 point on Saturday morning.  Was getting ready to leave to head on a shopping trip with the family at 9:45 am, had my fanny pack on, hooked my quiver back up to my bow and was getting ready to lower it when I hear crunch, crunch coming from behind me.  He got to within 20 yds but knew something wasn't right and looped around a little thicket/grape vine tangle and came out in an opening 30 yds out.  I drew when he was behind the thicket but tunnel vision got the best of me and I did not see a small branch midway between me and the deer.  Arrow kicked sideways and dove as the deer snorted at me and ran off.  I couldn't find the arrow but I searched the opening where he was and followed the trail he was on for as long as I saw him (about 75-80 yds) and did not see one sign of a hit.  No hair, no blood, nothing.  Kicking myself for not seeing that branch and attempting the shot, just glad it didn't end up worse.  It would have been an 8 pt for the wall; bigger than the two others I have up there now.  

5 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    Re:Blew it on Saturday Morning 2012/11/12 12:33:11 (permalink)
    That stinks for sure. I dread the getting the gear ready and the climb down. As soon as I lower the bow, things usually start happening.  Maybe we should get our stuff together more often throughout the morning just to get some deer moving. Seems that happens frequently.

My rifle is a black rifle
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re:Blew it on Saturday Morning 2012/11/12 14:06:55 (permalink)
    Eyes,
    I feel your pain. I blew it last monday morn. on a 130-140 class 8/10 with kickers at 15yds. I saw him out about a 80-90yds tipped the can twice and grunted 3 times, it was like I was reeling him in. From 50 yds in he never put a tree between us. At 15 he saw me with my bow up and at half draw( had hard time drawing straight back slowly in the 30 degree morning), turned broadside and when I released he managed to jump the arrow. it went about 4" under his chest. To add insult to my already hurt pride. He then went another 10-15 yds to the right and stood there while I got another arrow out of the quiver on the string,release on, to full draw and just as I put the pin on his chest he finally took off never really knowing what in the hades had just happened. 
    As I sat back down on my stool and took it all in. I decided that if I gonna continue to handicap myself by staying out of the trees then I may break down and go over to the dark side(crossgun). Then I realized the best part about it was it was clean miss, the only thing wounded was my pride and that will heal in no time.
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Blew it on Saturday Morning 2012/11/12 18:08:33 (permalink)
    I can sympathize with the both of you since I blew it...twice...

Saturday morning around 9:00 I heard crunch....nothing for 5 minutes....crunch...nothing for 5 minutes and he finally appeared.  I quckly recognized him as the big 10 pt we have been getting on camera since mid summer.  He continued to come in closer and closer ever so slowly and finally I saw my opportunity at about 25 yards, settled the pin on him and let it fly.  My arrow hit a small limb that I never saw and went sailing over his back.  He never really spooked but more just wandered off.

I was back in the same stand this morning thinking what are the odds that he comes back again, but I had to see for myself.  Sure enough, here he comes again around 7:30 but this time he was locked up with a doe.  After 3 painful hours of watching him just out of range here comes the doe in to 15 yards and she looks around and decides that this was a good place to bed and sure enough he follows suit and beds about 10 yards from here in a thicket.  Another hour passes and the buck finally had enough of the waiting and got up and started pushing the doe around.  She goes flying by my stand and he follows...20 yards this time and I put the pin on him and let it rip.  He takes off and stops about 30 yards away for 5 minutes and I can see that I hit him dead square in the shoulder and the arrow has fallen out.  I later recovered my arrow and it went in a total of 2 inches, tops.  We found about a half dozen drops of blood the size of a quarter and that was it.  4 Hours later after circling last blood and essentially grid searching the entire property, we called it quits. 

2 chances at the same P&Y buck, 2 epic fails.  I am confident in myself and my equipment and I really don't even know what went wrong.  Words cannot describe the devastation I am feeling right now.  I feel like I want to hang the bow up for good after this debacle.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re:Blew it on Saturday Morning 2012/11/12 18:42:38 (permalink)
    Wow, sorry about the bad luck. I don't feel quite so depressed right now so thanks for that! Still got rifle and late season. I'll take the gun out the first day but it might be the bow after that.
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    Re:Blew it on Saturday Morning 2012/11/13 04:44:18 (permalink)
    Sat morning was slow for us. But the afternoon was pretty good. somewhere near 5:00pm the woods just was jumping. deer were running all over.2 little bucks bedded down right behind my stand for about 5 mins,then the rest ran over to me and WOW nelly a monster 12 point in the 180/185 range just standing 5 yards out. Already took a 8 point so could not shoot just couldn't stop looking at this buck and never got to take a doe.Although my buddy took the biggest doe I ever seen taken with a bow.

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    Jump to: