Outdrive gearlube

Author
dakotab
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 358
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/20 17:16:22 (permalink)

Outdrive gearlube

i have an alpha one mercruiser and I'm about to winterize it so I bought 2 quarts of quick silver from Chet Alex and it was $21.99/quart. I looked on the net a little and noticed some people used regular gear lube. I took the quick silver back and picked up some synthetic 75-90wt at walmart and I'm going to use that. What does everybody else use? Anybody here use regular oil over quick silver ?

4 Replies Related Threads

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re:Outdrive gearlube 2012/10/20 21:23:50 (permalink)
    been running Amsoil synthetic gear lube in my Honda since it was new.  Looks as good coming out as if did going in.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Outdrive gearlube 2012/10/22 06:56:44 (permalink)
    I use Pennzoil Marine gear lube, I get it at Advanced Auto Supply. (usually about $6 - $7 a quart.)

I believe the big difference between "marine" lube and "regular" gear lube is that the marine stuff has an anti-emulsifing agent added that helps keep the oil from breaking down in the event that water enters the lower unit.
    Marine oil also has additives that prevents reaction with brass, bronze and copper metals that are common in lower units.
    post edited by Erie Mako - 2012/10/22 09:51:00

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Outdrive gearlube 2012/10/22 10:56:13 (permalink)
    When it comes to my outdrive and/or engine, I don't cheap out on supplies. Royal Purple oil in the engine and Mercury or Yamaha lube in the outdrive (might give the Amsoil a try).

Repairing either of the two is not cheap and good lubrication is most important...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Outdrive gearlube 2012/10/27 07:26:54 (permalink)
    Erie Mako

I believe the big difference between "marine" lube and "regular" gear lube is that the marine stuff has an anti-emulsifing agent added that helps keep the oil from breaking down in the event that water enters the lower unit.

agreed, the oil viscosity is the same but without the additives as you said you gear lube turns to mush. sad to say i go cheap on my truck, but never on the boat or bike. the differance (for me) stuck in the middle of a lake or river on a boat or launched into a tree or guardrail on a bike is way worse than being stuck on the side of the road in a truck.
    Royal purple is great stuff i use it at work,its only downside is if you do have a leak, it leaks more.
    never used the amsoil i have heard all good stuff about it though

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    Jump to: