hand held gps for plotting points

Author
bbrown
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/17 11:33:12 (permalink)

hand held gps for plotting points

jusy woundering if anyone uses a hand held gps unit for plotting holes they find and can go back to the following year . Im currently looking for one an would like some input from anyone that has them an what they think of them an if any model is better then another. What one do you get the most for your buck.

6 Replies Related Threads

Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re:hand held gps for plotting points 2012/10/17 11:41:34 (permalink)
    I have a eTrex Legend I use as a back up now. My boat know has a gps unit on it but before I had a unit on my boat used the hand held. Got me back to the ramp a few times when the fog rolled in. Used it from Mass. to Nc got me to all spots I had progamed.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re:hand held gps for plotting points 2012/10/17 16:01:03 (permalink)
    I use a hand held all the time to watch speed and location. Many a morning I'm out on the lake trolling while everyone else is waiting for day light or the fog to lift. When I first got mine I use to drop something in the morning than go hunting for the rest of the day. At the end of the day I'd back track pick up what I dropped and go home. Only bad thing is don't forget extra batteries,its useless if the batteries go dead!
    bbrown
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:hand held gps for plotting points 2012/10/23 16:06:19 (permalink)
    Thank yall for the input , i should have specified what i plan to do with it a little better  but i walk the streams rather then run the lake .
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re:hand held gps for plotting points 2012/10/24 19:59:12 (permalink)
    I have a Rino 110 and somewhat tough to figure out but then again I haven,t spent much time with it.

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:hand held gps for plotting points 2012/10/30 10:47:04 (permalink)
    I used a etrex vista for a few years then got a Dakota 20 for my birthday both have their advantages and disadvantages. What I do is mark the spots I want to save then call up my Topo map program on my computer and transfer the cords. to that map. Everytime I get a new spot I can call up the map I want and update it. It is possible to make a map note on a place that has something I need to know about that spot. I also found out after I've been to a good spot I don't need a map to tell me where it is. I guess it helps when you haven't been to a place in a long time and want to check it out. I also print the maps and file them in a folder in case my computer crashes!!!

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:hand held gps for plotting points 2012/10/31 18:31:18 (permalink)
    I have an Lowrance Endura Out n Back.  I think they sell for ~150$.  I have used it thoroughly for years with only one problem.  It was left in the truck during a sub zero night.  When I went to fire it up in the morning the on button must have been weakened by the cold and I could hear it and feel it crack.  Lowrance replaced the button free of charge.

I find it easy to use and not bad on batteries.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

Jump to: