DAPPING - anyone ever done it?

Author
New York Yank
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/10 10:05:04 (permalink)

DAPPING - anyone ever done it?

I am going to try something new this year (dapping)- wondering if any of you guys ever did it. For those who haven't heard of it, it's an old fishing style from Ireland/Scotland that lets you fish flies with spinning gear.

The basic gist of it is, you use a very long rod, (I picked up a 10' crappie rod, others use much longer ones) and about 6' of special line that catches the wind and skips the dry fly along the surface. (Bob Church's Breeze Floss). You tie on a couple feet of mono and tie the fly onto that (I bought some of Fran Betters' flies, custom made for Adirondacks). The fly is the only thing that's supposed to hit the water so you can use a fairly strong mono. It's imperative to have a good breeze and water open enough to maneuver in.

In theory, it sounds pretty good,  I'm thinking this may work well on ponds for trout or bass. There are some articles on dapping online if you google it.  Anybody ever done this and could give advice?

6 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: DAPPING - anyone ever done it? 2007/04/11 07:10:30 (permalink)
    I've caught a couple of trout doing it. One was dropping the fly off a bank on a small stream. One was on a larger stream where the wind kept lifting my fly line. Both were on an elk hair caddis. Both were at short range. I've tried it on many occasions and can say that it is harder to do than it sounds. Heavily hackled, treated flies worked the best because they ride higher and don't pick up water.  

Gone Fishing
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: DAPPING - anyone ever done it? 2007/04/11 13:36:41 (permalink)
    Hiya Dano-

I'm admit I'm pretty ignorant about flies... is there a way to treat these flies I have, like with a special spray or something? I imagine silicone would turn off the fish bigtime. I imagine you want bigger flies just so you can see them, any types you would recommend? Mine are in the 12-14 size.  I'm sure I will need lots of practice to get anything close to the way it's supposed to be done, but what the hey, I'm up for it. 
    In the small streams, did you use the same setup but with a trout rod? Maybe I could try that this weekend.  
                                                      Thanks a lot!  - Yank
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: DAPPING - anyone ever done it? 2007/04/14 18:12:48 (permalink)
    I used well hackled elk hair caddis in 14. I was matching the bugs that the fish were rising to.
    Flies hackled front to back work because they ride higher and don't get water logged.
    Anything that waterproofs the fly will work.
    Adult caddis regularly dance, plop and skitter on the surface and it seems to get the fishes attention.

Gone Fishing
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: DAPPING - anyone ever done it? 2007/04/14 19:31:32 (permalink)
    NY Yank:
    why don't you just use a flyrod?
    i can understand spinning gear if you are nymphing or swinging flies sub-surface
    something i have and is done quite often

but you seem to be talking dry flies
    other than buying special equipment just for that purpose, what are you looking to gain
    if it having fun and being happy than i guess it's worth it

fly floantant such as Loon ,Gink or Muclin all work well
    apply before your fly gets wet.....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: DAPPING - anyone ever done it? 2007/04/15 11:42:10 (permalink)
    Thanks again you guys...  I think I have a fair idea of what I wanna do now.
     Tuna:  Just want to try something new out.  I got the rod for about $20 from Cabela's and the blowline for about $5 from England, and $15 worth of flies from Adirondack Sport Shop. So for $40, I can fiddlefart around with this and have a little fun like back in the old country.
    Being of Irish descent, and a fan of old stuff, it made it kind of appealing.
    Someday I'll try out flyfishing, but I've seen the prices on that stuff, plus I'd need to pay for lessons.  This way I'll have money for gas to get to the fishing holes.  I'm a low-budget fisherman.
                                                                  Happy fishing- Yank
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: DAPPING - anyone ever done it? 2007/04/15 15:33:58 (permalink)
    i guess april early hatch of quils/ hendriksons will be history once again for the most part.. in fact most flies will be tough fishing after such flooding. Every time i experienced bad hatches after these mt. floods rip and vaccum alot of the aquatic insects trout forage on.. Every major flood we had(i experienced three last 5 years, that were suppose to be 100 year floods ) everyone of those floods had serious impact on stream fishing conditions in all region 5 and this flood will certainly ruin another season if it melts and floods with rain. Just too many major 100 year floods in such short period of time. I'm hoping everyone is safe and prepared for these flood warnings.
    Jump to: