What was the worst weather you ever fished in?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
  • Reward points: 0
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 13:37:01 (permalink)
If I have to delete anymore posts' from this thread, I will just lock or delete the whole topic. If you have a problem with another poster on this forum, that's your business. So keep it YOUR business and PM each other about it..

And enough with the foul language..
It's getting old!
post edited by mikeg - 2007/12/17 13:46:21

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 14:27:02 (permalink)
couple years ago out of Connie (about 7-8 miles) we were hitiin em pretty hard & could see the storm coming. got a call from afriend in Bula wanting to know where we were. He was at the dock and said stay put it was worse in shore. In a matter of minutes we were in it. Black as night, lightning,downpour, couldn't see my brother sittin next to me!! or the white cooler on the bow....and couldn't get the big engine started. after doing doughnuts and getting pounded I crawled to the back and the engine finally kicked in. I had to crawl beside my bro to tell him we had power cause the noise from the storm was so loud. After riding it out for 20 minutes with lightning like a picket fence around us, soaking wet, it was over. Didn't shake till back on the trailer. Had to quit with only 8 eyes in the box. water was too choppy to finish our tickets. tomorrow was another day.  Dave
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 14:29:21 (permalink)
what did I miss, what did I miss Mike????? Dave
*commander*
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2647
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 14:58:17 (permalink)
sorry you had to get involved mike.

i did tell him to PM me.
scud
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 15:47:47 (permalink)
I have ice fishing trips were it is so cold that everything is frozen. Drill holes and before you can get the tip up out it is iced up.

Below zero wind chill at night, open lake, no shelter and fishing for walleye. I dont know why i do it. What fish do to me is amazing. lol

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/17 21:42:09 (permalink)
Mikeg, sorry can't help getting cursed at....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
Salty
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/18 09:18:15 (permalink)
I have fished the Massacusetts coast after many big storms.Its when Striped Bass fishing is at its best and you dont have to contend with "googans". I call it "extreme Fishing" because theres nothing like standing on the edge of the world with 20' rollers coming in or fishing from a rock thats usualy 30 feet in from the shore line. 1 word of caution if you try it tho. That is be very careful, every year 1 or 2 in experienced fishermen are lost to the sea after storms because they were un-prepared for all the different elements that are out there after a big storm. This holds especialy true forcloudy moonles nights. I will miss not being able to truck down to the local jetty before,during or after an impending storm but alass, I found another type of extreme fishing here. Fishing when theres wind chill factors is completely new but extreme none the less 

Hear My Train A Comin
steelhead4ever
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/18 10:32:08 (permalink)
Commercial fishing for lobsters of the coast of Chincoteague Island VA. In 2003. We were out on a 3 day trip. On night two it was DEAD calm, 80 miles off-shore and completely dead flat, not a ripple on the water. The captain knew what was going on though with the storm system. Although we made it back to the bay by dawn, we experienced 9-13 footers on the return trip. Lets just say it gives a new meaning to hearing those guys in the Bering Sea experiences 20-30 footers... Phewwwww
mxdad66
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/18 21:47:45 (permalink)
Drove to Moosehead lake in Maine for a week of Lake trout fishing.It was early April,half the lake was still frozen,temp's in the 30's rained non stop,camp ground had no running,pipes still frozen,had to bath in the lake.Had to pump the water out of the boat every couple of hours.Every piece of clothing ended up soaked.Did manage to catch some nice fish,worthwhile for me,it was the last fishing trip my wife asked to go on.
keneyeam
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/18 22:08:18 (permalink)
Once fished the Bass Tx at the Nanticoke River in Delaware.  Fished in a deluge and lightning storm.  Bad lightning.  That day a dam broke up stream after 7 inches of rain in 4 hours.  My boat swamped twice that day.  A fish drop in the parking lot at the weighin  swam the parking area back the the river.  Yes all the way cross the lot while being chased by the guy who droped it.  On the way home, I had to swerve to miss water-mellons that had washed from adjacent fields on to the road.  Oh and to top it off, a helecopter was rescuing folks from car tops in a wallmart parking lot. 
post edited by keneyeam - 2007/12/18 22:11:39
HardCore Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/18 23:53:00 (permalink)
When i was like 5 or 6, me and my family were visiting friends from near Johnstown and they have a boat on Raystown Lake, we was like caught out in the middle of the lake and a thunderstorm and it was pretty rough but i was young and having fun catching small bluegills on salami since we had no worms.

Ronnie
treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/19 19:39:03 (permalink)
My brother & i were fishing Oil Creek in the rain & the trout were really turned on. Where we were the road was right beside us & we were soaked- pre Gore Tex & no rain gear. A lady stoped on the road right beside us and watched us for a bit. Then she rolled down her window & calmly told us the suckers were on the wrong ends of the poles and drove off.
  I was camped on an Island on the Georgian Bay Of Lake Huron with a friend and two youngsters. My friend and I were ~20 yrs old and the youngsters ~14 yrs old. It was one of those poverty trips, you guys understand, 4 cans of beans bag of potatoes& we were going to live on fish for the rest. We had one canoe and were~ 8-10 miles from small town by boat. The first two days we had great fishing, but didn,t save any fish. Then Huricane Agnes hit & for the next three days we attempted to keep the tent over our heads. We would venture out at times and re secure the tent. We ate cold beans and bet on whose fly would cross a seam first. You see it was sleet hail and 40 ~ 60 mile per hr gusts, and we only had summer clothes. So all we did was lie on our backs in our sleeping bags & stare at them flies on the ceiling
  I used to Commercial fish on and off for years and I have seen some
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/20 11:13:38 (permalink)
not as bad as some but worth the trouble. the worst best day of fishing was on kettle the 3rd weekend of may. the wind howled and was so strong there were white caps, and made the water look like it was flowing upstream. we weren't prepared but got stuck in it in the middle of the stream. green drakes were being blown across the water and the rainbows were attacking them. missing most. we tied on #10 green drakes and #12 march browns. the wind would skip the dry flies across the waves and the rainbow would grab them. we were wet, from the rain, cold and had to hold our hats on from the wind. we could only cast in between the gusts of wind. people were blowing horns at us, a guy in a winter coat came out and watched us, but we kept catching trout and it was worth it. no doubt the craziest weather is sometimes  the best fishing....

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

TB
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/20 12:26:33 (permalink)
Tippy, you just get cursed at b/c everyone is a Tippy hater - It is human nature to have hate for someone that is all knowning and one of the best fishermen to ever walk the tribs...:)

Worst fishing weather - it was cool, but we were out in MT this past summer and a nice day turned into 50-60 mph winds.  We had our own drift boats and were in the wide open - it just made me feel uneasy.  Looking back it was a cool experience though, and it led to one of the most interesting stories ever - revolving around who else, but Tippy...:)
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/20 12:31:20 (permalink)
Last January, when the long winter cold snap started, I wanted to get in one more trip to Erie for a few months.  I think it was January 26th.  High in Erie was SUPPOSED to get up into the mid 20's that day, but the warmest I saw on my truck thermometer was 16.  As soon as I hit Sandy Lake on 79, the snow was just flying everywhere.  Took me almost 3 hours to reach PR East from Butler Co.  I walked in to get some bait and Brian said I was the only fisherman he'd seen all day, and that was about 10:00.  Found some small pockets of open water on various streams, but my line kept freezing.  It was like casting bull rope.  Saw about a dozen crashes on 79 on the way home.  Took me about 3 1/2 hours.  Had one hook up all day.  Stupid. 
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/20 18:00:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: TB

Tippy, you just get cursed at b/c everyone is a Tippy hater - It is human nature to have hate for someone that is all knowning and one of the best fishermen to ever walk the tribs...:)

Worst fishing weather - it was cool, but we were out in MT this past summer and a nice day turned into 50-60 mph winds.  We had our own drift boats and were in the wide open - it just made me feel uneasy.  Looking back it was a cool experience though, and it led to one of the most interesting stories ever - revolving around who else, but Tippy...:)

Clark Canyon reservoir was angry that day my friends....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
TB
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/20 19:43:43 (permalink)
you did your best though buddy.  That is funny that I'd say a 60 degree day was the worst ever, but that wind was spooky..:)  I'd take a 20 degree snow squalled day in Erie over that.
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2007/12/23 15:41:50 (permalink)
Worst day I ever had was on my first ever trip to erie.  On day one there was a howling north wind so we decided to fish in the bay...good decision cause I heard that some boats from a bass tournament sank that day.  Day 2 was the bad one...we overslept and didnt get on the water till about noon under clear skies and no wind. 

As we left the bay I noticed that alot of boats coming back in but we dismissed it as pleasure boaters going in for lunch (bad mistake!)  We went to the cribs and started slaying the smallies. Big fish bigger then I had ever even seen at home...but then  it started getting windy.  We ignored it since the fishing was so great but when a wave came over the transom we decided to head back.  3-5 footers are especially terrifying when youve hardly seen much more then ripples before!  About halfway back it really picked up and the bilge pump died!  When I looked over and saw my buddy bucketing water for his life and puking his guts out at the same time was when it really set in. That was the most terrified i have ever been on the water. Took us an hour to make a journey that took us 10 minutes the first time. Once we made it behind the point we actually stayed out and caught several more fish that day.  That evening I drove to gander mtn and purchased the marine radio that i had refused to buy the day before because it was an "unnessary expense."

Ive actually been in worse since then but it was nowhere near as bad since I had a new boat that was built for it and had gained some experience on erie.

chipmunk
steel city
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2008/01/17 14:35:57 (permalink)
DID THE RAIN WIND COLD SNOW BUT WHEN TIME WAS LIMITED YOU GO WHEN YOU HAD TO.
matsif
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: What was the worst weather you ever fished in? 2008/01/17 15:12:14 (permalink)
fishing off the stones into the lake at walnut creek access one night...then came the waterspout...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: