soon ice fishing!

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/30 21:24:20 (permalink)

soon ice fishing!

SR is simply too far the trout nov catskill season closed in the reses.and it is time to get ready for the ice fishing season. Wonder where I can try luck for walleye in the albany region?

18 Replies Related Threads

MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: soon ice fishing! 2007/12/01 09:46:35 (permalink)
    Saratoga or Great Sacandaga lake would be a good start or even better PM Hot Tuna he's a guide and does ice fishing around here. 
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: soon ice fishing! 2007/12/01 21:43:13 (permalink)
    Both those lakes are huge and probably offer alot of potential. I remember fishing Saratogo a few times late 80s through the ice caught a few humpbacks but no bucket of fish  think It was south beach I just followed car tracks and drove right out on the lake to other vehicles also, those long ago trips summer time in 96 remember driving by Great sacandago going adirondack camping nice lake but huge,I think it would be certainly worth affording a local guide . As I said in the past, I'm catskill s is pretty much my story. Icefishing improving since those many years or the same up and down? Is ny F&G management keeping up with the stocking programs?  thank you too for advice and will surely keep guide service in mind. Also you guys ever fish Ostego goodyear or shulyer? never yet made it to those places.
    post edited by backin79 - 2007/12/01 21:46:48
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: soon ice fishing! 2007/12/01 22:48:53 (permalink)
    Sacandaga, from what I hear, has a lot of walleye. But not good size. I planned on Goodyear last year, but never made it. It's a small and manageable lake, but I forget the acreage. I'll kick myself in the****if I don't go this year.

post edited by HookLineSinker - 2007/12/01 22:50:10
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: soon ice fishing! 2007/12/02 08:40:11 (permalink)
    Goodyear is a great little lake for walleye
    i have 800 acres i hunt 3 miles from there and stay here http://www.knottsmotel.com/
    it is right on the lake
    also Otsego Lake is very good
    around the captial district , your best bet would be Saratoga Lake (altho it has declined ) and north would be Sacandaga Lake
    farther north would be Lake Pleasant , Oneida Lake , Honeoye Lake, Conesus Lake, Union Falls Pond

do a little homework and you'll find fish
    or you can always hire a guide who ice fishes ;)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    Cossayuna 2007/12/04 03:27:22 (permalink)
    Have any of you guys ever ice-fished Cossayuna Lake ?  My wife's mom lives about 15 minutes from there and I've always wanted to check it out. I hear it used to be a good Muskie fishery... don't know if thats changed.  Muskies through the ice... sounds nice.  If so...any tips on what part of the lake they might hold in?
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/05 20:34:14 (permalink)
    not me yank,does it have walleye perch?  Yank how did you make out last year at tohamanock*? (no spell ck)
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/06 00:36:39 (permalink)
    What do you all think of doing an ice fishing get together ?

I'm no ice fisherman but I'll buy some tip-ups for this...

post edited by MohawkRiverDan - 2007/12/06 15:38:09
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/06 17:30:07 (permalink)
    Dan:
    over @ fishwithafly we are having a get together 2nd weekend in feb (i'll have to see if that conflicts with the wife & my annual Daytona 500 trip to Oswego)
    adk forum is a poll as to where
    my suggestion is LG

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/06 17:33:10 (permalink)
    P.S.
    i'm down for anytime ice gathering but the lake, pond, has to have trout
    which i know of many......
    btw: no need to buy tip-ups i have plenty

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/07 13:42:38 (permalink)
    Sure I would be up for a ice-get together. We'll have em surrounded. Sundays and mondays work for me.

They have some nice tipups at walmart for $10, I just bought my brother some.

Back... 
          Tomhannock has walleye, perch, bass, carp and seeds. I didn't have much luck there last year, it was dreadful, the ice came late and then it got covered in wet snow and as a result I didnt get out many times.
             Cossayuna has Tiger Muskies, walleye, bass, pike, perch, crappie, and seeds according to DEC site.  25 foot maximum depth, about 440 acres i believe. I'ts in the town of Argyle. 

Anybody hear of any ice within an hours drive of albany?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/07 16:36:52 (permalink)
    co worker was out on Coxsackie res weds.and perched em up.
    i am going to look Queechy over tomorrow.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2007/12/07 16:37:14

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/07 21:17:14 (permalink)
    Yes yank, now I recall, remember the old posts and I too mentioned icefishing that place many moons ago (over tens years) got the free pass at the town municipal and started just before noon, was so **** windy freezing cold ! Think I was the only one icefishing that half day! Remember snow drifts and having to circle from hole to hole ice skimming the tipups and just keeping warm..lol not a flag sep for windflags and jigging zero, but I know they are in there. Bring me to those natural setting state parks with the good old fashion adirondack mts and the shoreline full of hemlocks vacant of development,I'll bring the henikens lol 
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: ICE 2007/12/09 11:41:13 (permalink)
    Back-
    Yes the permit thing is a pain... theyre good for 2 years, and I think they're up to $5   now, mine expires in January so i'll let you know for sure when i pick up mine.  Those windy days are killer... you have to drink your Heinekens faster or else theyll freeze.
      I drove around Tomhannock 12/8. South side of Rte 7 causeway frozen over, one of the little bays on the west side is also. Overall, its about 98% open water on the main lake.  Can't fish til January 1, but it's coming along nice.

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: ICE 2007/12/09 22:23:28 (permalink)
    Last year, the 2 year permit for 'hannock was up to $10. Not that it's a lot of money, but it's ridiculous that the city of Troy makes you pay anything. I mean, how much income are they generating? I'd take a wild guess and say 300 people get the permit. That generates $3000 every 2 years. Why go through the hassle?

Anyway, I'm definitely up for a get together.

Yank, are you sure Cossayuna has walleye? "The Sportmen's Connection" book doesn't say it does, but I've never fished there. I'm up for a short ride up there if you want. That lake should freeze before 'hannock. I'm getting my **** together tomorrow. Can't use my new flasher until Christmas
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    RE: ICE 2007/12/10 10:59:10 (permalink)
    Hook-
    You got a flasher coming for Christmas...dude I have an Aqua-vu ice cam coming... you can find where to put the holes and I'll set up a tripod and we can have a good look around all our favorite spots, checking the structure etc.  It'll be a blast to watch what really triggers a strike.  I am psyched, bring on a deep freeze.
    Cossayuna Lake has walleye according to DEC. You can find it here-  Lake Contour Maps - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation, but I think it's known more for their muskie and lunker largemouths.
    $10 for permit is a joke... typical City of Troy extortion. Don't even get me started on those idiots. I pay taxes here and they still hose me. They also completely mess up the Striper/Shad run, not promoting it or making it easier for fishermen to ply the shores. Take a look at Pulaski NY or Roscoe NY.... they embrace their fishing and realize the economic boom it is. Troy just doesn't get it.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: ICE 2007/12/10 21:53:14 (permalink)
    Done deal Yank. I've got to wait till next x-mas for the ice cam. I took a walk onto Round Lake today. Solid 3 inches. Last year, in early January, I got out there for the 1st time with just over 2 inches. I'm working midnights for the next 7 days, so I'll probably hit it up right after work (if I don't get overtime).

I went up to the 'toga bait shop today. Not much on the shelves right now. They are getting their 1st big shipment on Wednesday. As far as bait, they had medium fatheads and medium shiners. I forgot to ask when/if the pike shiners were coming.

Let me know when 'hannock has safe ice. And also, let me know if you want to join me on Round in the mean time. My next full days off are Tues and Wed the 18th and 19th. Hopefully Lonely will be good by then.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/10 21:53:25 (permalink)
    Dan you don't need to buy tips ,just a 5 gal. bucket and 30.00 jigging rod combo few lures and spade for reopening froze over holes or on weekends shouldn't have to chop any .. but if you do try it and enjoy it, you'll want a lazer hand auger 5" is good all around unless ice is over 18" thick or fishing pike muskie water, than you want a 10" gas power auger.  prefer jigging and covering alot using a handheld polar sonar to map bottom structure while moving until i find fish. If I know the water worthy enough , I do setup tipups and jig too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Cossayuna 2007/12/14 20:23:51 (permalink)
    I still have my very first hand auger, the  8" blue hand auger , it was okay but  get the lazer 6" and blow right through that ice! lol To be honest, I am not that big for northerns, even pickerel, I remember caughter pickerel well over 4 lbs in greenwood lk. and many nearby lakes years ago..they always were boney no matter how I cut em.. even tried the patty recipe.  Pickerel meat is sweet  but what a pain in the A to prepare. I suppose some can debone them using pliers but just put me over those jumbo humpback perch and crappie!!
    post edited by backin79 - 2007/12/14 20:26:43
    Jump to: