hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/25 19:20:08 (permalink)

Ice Fishing News

I got this info from another site dedicated to ice fishing
it's getting real close and the weather is being kind
...........................................................................................
 own the baitshop on Lake Lonely,near saratoga lake and according to one of my main bait suppliers,emerald shiners are a NO GO for this season.Something to do with shipping them into NY is a no no now.Same goes for spottail minnows-can't transport them into ny.Still waiting to hear from my other guy but i'm expecting to hear the same news from him.On a better note it's looking like early ice,been seeing ice on the creek edges behind the shop for a week now,maybe cutting my vacation short to reopen the shop in a week.Will keep you posted on the emeralds.

................................................................................................
                                     Also:
this is the first report of a catch through the ice in NY

well boys it happened today, first outing of the year and first fish of the year. a nice looking 23inch northern nothing to brag about in size gut im sure there is some people out there who would just love to be on the ice. i wish i could tell the spot but all im sayin is north of ol stoney creek lol. it was a nice day hope the weather this week doesn't kill the ice. when i left today there was between 3 and 4 inch's

..............................................................................................................................                                           ANDhere is a pretty picture of what's happening:

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

14 Replies Related Threads

prtrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/11/26 13:13:40 (permalink)
    Lake Durant was all froze over on Sunday and a Buddy of mine fished a pond up in Thurman and got a couple pike.  It is upon us.
    kdubbz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/11/27 00:45:21 (permalink)
    Looking foward to trying some ice fishing this year on saratoga lake/lake lonely. I hope its not like last year when it took forever for the ice to form.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/11/30 21:31:26 (permalink)
    I bet berkley is happy about no more live bait or just the hassle knowing you can not transport far hold it  only 7 days must have reciept.. I am jigging most the time anyway ..going to try that gulp alive this season  just for  just to see for myself if berkley lives up to its expectations.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/01 11:18:40 (permalink)
    My local bait dealer isn't having any problems supplying live bait, and says it won't be a problem at all this winter. As for the 7 day reciept rule, there are ways around that. I'll be ****ed if I have to dump perfectly good bait.

I've heard alot about berkley live also, Back. I may give it a try this winter just for giggles. I had moderate success with it, the few times I used it in the open water.

I'll extend another invitation to you this winter. I'll be on top of the 'eyes and pike.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/01 22:09:29 (permalink)
    hook, I hear yahs! lol, hope homeland security isn't post data collecting/tracking your ipadress! lol just kidding, as far as live bait goes, I usally just get what I need for the trip and give them away or let them go! woops! did I say let them go? I...i MEAN umm I feed the crows and gulls! ....Ummm no i didn't mean to type that osifer! look I drove here a long ways from home to enjoy  some peace and quiet and some great american outdoor serenity! lol sheesh! can you imagine how fast and bad things are changing? As for the berkley stuff, I will experiment them side by side with real natural mousies or spikes.  If they do prove worthy for fish gulping,  it will be convenient artifical indeed. Got those baby 1" from fishusa also got that crystal 2lb.test fireline for my 750 sedona. 1/16 oz. castmasters and pimples in gold or silver/silver blue ..chartruese  1/4 jigs twisters what lures you guys like to use ? never used the rapalas yet because they are expensive and not sure what size/color if I should stock up on them.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/01 22:43:42 (permalink)
    Back, I've got a bunch of rapalas from last winter. Honestly, I didn't keep them wet long enough to know how they work. Pimples are always nice. This year, gonna try something different for perch. Take the treble off the pimple, and attach an 8-10 inch leader to it. Tie on a small hook, and throw on some mousies. The pimp should attract. When I see the fish on the flasher (just received the accu-vu vertical pixel from cabelas), slow down the jigging and let them take the hook with the mousies. I think I read that in "In-Fisherman". I also just received some new salmo chubby darters from cabelas. Cost about $7 each, ugh. I'll let you know if I have any success with these as well.

I think it'll be below 10 degrees tonight. Shouldn't be long now.

browntrout25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/02 11:31:31 (permalink)
    hey 79, O&H bait in Chester went O.O.B. this past week. dont know if you ever stopped there for ice fishing bait.
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/02 11:40:14 (permalink)
    Hook....  I got the same idea for my pimples and kastmasters from Doug Stange's article.  However he says the drop line should be no more than 4" long because otherwise they seem confused and won't strike as often (according to him). Hali makes some tiny spoons with a little chain, they have them at Saratoga Bait and Tackle but don't know how they work.  I picked up a bunch of marmooskas and plan on hanging those off the spoons too. I already have some Rapalas and I'm raring to go.
     I've got one of those cheap Fish TVs on my Christmas wish list. Has anyone heard if they work well?  The idea of using 10 C Cells doesn't thrill me but for $99 its worth a shot.
    Maybe we can hook up on the Hannock this year, it can't be as bad as it was last year.  I have some new spots to try.  Anyone else that wants to go out let me know, I'll have lots of mornings open. Shouldnt be too long now.        
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/02 13:36:50 (permalink)
    hook good point , Been using double rigs year using the castmaster and tippet no more than 12'' with a teardrop or small jighead. I would tip both lures with a mousie or spike whichever I had available for bait. But knowing how these fish can be fussy and bite very light on some days, I do think your rig system  is better assuring the sometimes much needed softer presentation. No doubt some days the fish are in fact very spooked and hit very light as I am sure we all experienced.  So that method I will consider when the bite is soft. As for that bait store brown, no I am from northern new jersey and zip up thruway and usually head up rt 17 towards sullivan or colchester counties, but all honesty, the icefishing is very limited.You guys have tons more to icefishing.
    cooldude546
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/02 17:59:05 (permalink)
    what lake is that in the picture?
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/02 22:48:55 (permalink)
    You're right Yank. 8 inches sounded a bit long to me. I like the idea of the chain  to weigh it down. Otherwise, I think you stand the chance of tangling some. I'll have to check out 'toga bait.

Let's definitely meet up this year on Hannock. I've only fished the western shore, and don't know it too well. If you're into pike, I've got a great spot which is a sure thing on every visit. I also plan on hitting Ballston and Round Lakes pretty hard this year. I'd love to find the pike there. I've got some good ideas. Pulled an 8lb Ballston bass thru the ice last year.

Very dissappointed with Dunham last year. I've got a few hunches for that lake. But I'm not going to put in nearly as many hours there as last year.

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/04 03:20:25 (permalink)
    Hook
    I'm not sure if Dunham is worth bothering with anymore myself. I caught just as many fish out of my toilet this year...pathetic.  I usually ply the northern end of Hannock so we can try both spots. Sure I'd love to get into some pike, I'm into anything either toothy or tasty.  I'll talk to you when the ice gets on.
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/05 17:24:37 (permalink)
    Hook & Backin:

I too am looking forward to getting out on Lake Lonely and Saratoga Lake.  Best Rapala lures are Size 5 Perch Color or Size 5 Black Back w/Silver underneath.  I have always caught perch on these.  However, if you want something cheaper try the Perch Eyes in Green or Gold tipped with a mousy/perch eye.  Can pick them up at****s Sporting Goods in Saratoga and they usually come two to a package.
    Look forward to seeing you guys out on the ice.  I went by Lake Lonely and Saratoga Lake today and they are starting to set up along the shoreline.

Eagle Ed
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing News 2007/12/05 20:04:18 (permalink)
    hey Ed and everybody! earlier I was in the garage sorting my terminal tackle for ice fishing season. Ed thanks for the reply and all you guys! Really wish I were a hop skip and jump from up there but I will certainly let you all know if and when we come up the thurway. Figure 3hrs from where I live here in nnj. Anyway was also pondering the idea of getting me a lightweight sled shanti..I've seen a few last few seasons and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions much appreciated. I have a tundra p/u with a cap . Many years I just use a hard plastic 5' tabogan sled and I would bungie a milk crate and fit gas auger to it too. But seen some nice ones (forget the brand name) at gander mt in monticello ny... Thinking about a one or two person design, something that quickly folds down into a built in sled but ligt enough to pull it over snow banks if you get my drift.  hope you all safe fun filled season ahead!
    Jump to: