New Addition to the family coming on Wed

Author
Toad
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/20 12:48:28 (permalink)

New Addition to the family coming on Wed

Had this little guy picked up in Iowa and he will be home on Wednesday evening.  With the old male going to be 15 in April it was time to get a new one started.

10 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/22 02:34:17 (permalink)
    And in the ringneck and grouse community, there was a collective shudder.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/27 10:06:58 (permalink)
    Toad,

It looks like you have a new hunting companion in the house.  Do you have a name yet?

What is the age of the pup in the photo?

May your training go well and you always find the feathers.

We finally decided on our new pup and he will be coming home after deer season.  I have attached a photo of 3-week-old Dyson.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    Toad
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/27 12:53:00 (permalink)
    Duncsdad,

He arrived safe and sound Wednesday evening around 9:30PM.  He is 12 weeks old I think given his age the breedere gave me quite a break on the price.  My wife wanted to name him so I let her and she picked out Lenny Briscoe.  She thought it would be a cool name for a dog.  The other dogs are finally starting to warm up to him a bit and he is doing well with house training and some obedience.  I will start him on bird scents and such after deer season.  Good luck to you as well on your new training endevor.  Looks like some big paws on that pup.  Should be a large dog if he grows into them. 

How has the bird hunting been going for you so far this year?
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/27 13:16:10 (permalink)
    Toad,

Hunting has been great, killing has been not so great.  It just seemed that almost every point ended up with cover between the shooter and the shootee.  Also, the pheasant stocking program in our area was pretty limited this season.

I have only been to the club once this year (Saturday) so far and will hit it after deer season settles down.

You are right about the paws.  The grandfathers on both sides were very large pointers -- one the dame,s side the father is about a 80 pounder (great grandfather was also huge) and on the sire's side, the grandfather was at a hunting weight of about 90 pounds.  The mother of the pup is about 55 pounds and the father (which I own) hunts at a trim 75.

And this pup was about the 3rd biggest.  The monster of the litter is about 1/2 again as big. 

How was your bird season?

Duncsdad

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/28 11:02:48 (permalink)
    great looking dog!!  but lenny briscoe is the guy on L&O,  in real life he was a stanch librel and anti-gun nut.  hope the name doesn't rub off on the dog.
    Toad
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/28 13:19:21 (permalink)
    The year here started very slow way to many people not enough birds.  We ended up going home early on the first day because no matter which way you turned someone cut you off.  One the crowds cleared off we did a little better.  A few Friday's ago me and a few buddies took off of work to run the dog's we hunted all morning and got a few, where on our way back truck about a mile away and the stocking truck pulled in must have released 50 birds or so.  To our amazment no one was following the truck.  so half an hour later we get to the field and just let the dogs work my one buddy has two young dogs that are learning.  I think we only shot 2 more birds but flushed 20 some.  Went to lunch and then to another spot that had no one there and must have had 30 some flushes.  We spent the next week hunting the birds that we broke up a little bit.  You don't run into those days very often.  Got alot of looks from the doges when birds went up and we didn't shoot. 

I was supposed to go to Iowa to hunt when this little guy got picked up but I had to cancel becasue of work obligations.  The guys I go with did well.

Looks like you will have a nice pup on your hands soon.
    Toad
    Avid Angler
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/11/28 13:21:16 (permalink)
    Thanks.  You are correct from L&O.  Have no idea what he was like in real life to her he is a gun toting detective on TV.  So far so good on not being anti gun.  The only thing he is anti of is my sheltie who keeps kicking his butt.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/12/24 07:17:36 (permalink)
    Dyson has been home for two weeks now.  He has about doubled in size and has definitely doubled in energy.

Darty is happy with him on occasion and at other times he growls at him when he gets within a couple of feet.  He has no intention of hurting him, he is just pestered by the little nipper (literally a nipper).  I suspect, however, once he gets physically big enough, Darty will run him over a time or two and that will be that.

Darty,when he was a pup, had the habit of hip checking Duncan in the head.  Duncan didn't like it, but he put up with it until Darty got to the size where it would almost take Duncan off his feet.  One day Darty had a good head start and when he threw the hip, Duncan side stepped it and Darty flew into a concrete garden bench.  The result was a partially dislocated tail which to this day has a little "S" shape to it.  It also solved the hip check problem.

We have had two field training sessions, with yesterday's being the best so far.  On the 1st trip, it was just to get Dyson accustomed to having grass under his feet.  He wanted to be under mine.

Yesterday he ventured out in front at a distance of about 10 yards or so for most of the trip.  I let Darty range at about 75 yards so that he got to enjoy the walk as well.  On the way back I whistled Darty into a 20 yard quartering pattern and Dyson, because he had a line of sight on him, tried to keep up.

Both of them seemed to strike up a different relationship at that point -- one of hunting buddies.  Darty even shared a mouse hole dig with Dyson without much bother.  I think that he has switched from a "keep away from my stuff" mode to teacher mode.  Now if the weather would just cooperate and I could keep getting them out together on a regular basis we can move this relationship along.

We actually covered about a mile on the trip, so that is pretty good for a pup that isn't up to 10 pounds yet.

As can be seen in the photo below, Dyson, even at eight weeks, has that Pointer attitude.

Duncsdad

Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/12/24 13:34:55 (permalink)
    i dont recall reading it but what kind of dog is that? english pointer?
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: New Addition to the family coming on Wed 2007/12/24 15:57:37 (permalink)
    Yes, Dyson is an English Pointer.

Duncsdad

Jump to: