What is Center Pin Fishing

????? Been bugging me for a while now.

Ronnie

9 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2007/11/18 21:54:27 (permalink)
    Its a form of drift fishing in which you use a centerpin reel.  Centerpin reels look alot like a giant fly reel only they spin on precision bearings and the reels have no drag.  With these reels you incorporate a fairly long rod to keep a drag free drift in which you can keep your presentation in the fishes face for maximum amount of time.  The centerpin reel aids you for long drifts with no slack as the reel spins freely with the float as it rides through the current and when a fish strikes you can be right on top of the strike.  Canadian Fishernan use these for their larger streams and England these set ups are very popular.  They can be used anywhere you need to drift from large rivers to streams. 
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2007/12/08 00:59:27 (permalink)
    I'm really interested in this new method of fishing to me, whats the cost of a good setup run around and what can you use with it bait wise, live bait or flies or both ? I have seen them before but i'm wondering how you cast them, the guy i seen using it was what appeared to be roll casting it like a fly rod in a small stream i was fishing but if you say its used in a large rivers then idk how that works, unless you stand upstream and let the current take your line downstream, thats my only guess.

Ronnie
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2007/12/08 14:32:22 (permalink)
    Cost can range anywhere from 300 range up to as much as you want to spend.  Its best to start out with a good setup at first cause once you have one you dont want to be trying to upgrade cause costs r alot more than a traditional fly rod or spinning rig setup.  As far as baits it up to you what you use.  Alot of guys fish sacs, I prefer minnows and jigs and single eggs as my baits of choice.  I also carry 2 boxes loaded with flies mostly egg patterns and nymphs.  Casting is the hardest part about fishing a pin, it takes time and practice to get it down to science.  I spin the reel and lay it on its side so the line spins and comes off.  Its what works for me and i have good accuracy and casting distance with it.  You basically fish it the same as a spinning rig only you have alot more leeway to let it drift further downstream as the reel will take your presentation at the speed of the current and a drag free drift which is crucial for trout and lake runs in colder temps where hitting them in the face is part of the game.   It by no means is only used on large rivers, it just comes into its own on larger streams.  I fish an 11' 6 rod and anymore I hardly ever fish any stream other than elk creek, and mostly the upper reaches so it can be used successfully on smaller rivers just as well as big rivers.  I used to fish the Cat in new york alot but fuel cost and to much travel time have limited me back to my PA, which is the most terrific fishery in the world(in my opinion). 
    brokeinNYS
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2008/01/06 08:19:57 (permalink)
    avid angler thanks for your comments - was wondering how to fish a 13 center pin on narrow streams like Canadiaway creek -(may not be spelled right) but have fished the Cat with a bobber thirteen footer and appreciate your comments on that piece of water.  Gas prices may kill many trips for me, up a dollar a gallon since this time last year is beyond robbery and sure will reduce the numbers enjoying this sport.  Good luck with the next thaw.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2008/01/06 18:25:08 (permalink)
    No problem.  I know when I started centerpinning there wasn't alot of info on the internet and not to many guys in erie doing it so most of what i know i figured out for myself. Always willing to lend some info from what i know about pinning.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    venomous grin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2008/01/07 01:37:15 (permalink)
    went back to the ole site to dig this up, hope it helps someone it helped me
    http://www.fishsalmonriver.com/LOSA/Techniques/centerpin.htm

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your****tomorrow.
    brokeinNYS
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2008/01/07 05:57:14 (permalink)
    Thanks venomous for the info on rigging a center pin - I'm at the stage of using a bobber and 13 foot noodle rod desiring to make the quatum leap to a center pin.  Viewed the LOSA site however it lacked the picture of the rig found in your post - again thanks.
    deathroe
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2008/01/07 14:08:11 (permalink)
    venomous grin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: What is Center Pin Fishing 2008/01/09 05:57:18 (permalink)
    nice links man, I was wondering what some of those casts were, I gotta try some of those

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your****tomorrow.
    Jump to: