The first day. How'd it go?

Author
redneck steel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 300
  • Reward points: 0
2011/04/30 11:34:41 (permalink)

The first day. How'd it go?

Set up in a field corner at 5:15. One by one the gobblers woke up in their roost. A total of 4 were gobbling pretty good. About an hour after a couple flew down a jake came in and proceeded to practice his gobbling at about 15 yards. He started to putt a little bit and as he went back into the woods the flock came out. 5 hens 2 jakes and 2 big strutters. Watched them for almost 2 hours at 100 yards. Hopefully monday I can make it happen.

Hope all who went out had fun and made it back safe.
post edited by redneck steel - 2011/04/30 11:35:24

23 Replies Related Threads

frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 12:26:56 (permalink)
    I didn't make it out this morning because of a final at school, but my buddy and his dad both connected and his dad even got a banded one!!!  First one we have seen with a band...

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 13:00:09 (permalink)
    We had a great day but no kills.Here is how the day satrted i called a true trophy gobbler into 39 yards at 6:20 but my daughter isn't able to shoot that far so instead of wounded him we left him walk.About an half hour later i called 2 jakes into less then ten yards.They came to the side of the blind with the window closed.She wasn't shooting a jake but the old man was with his bow i didn't even take a weapon.Then about 8:15 we got out of the blind to stretch i made a series of yelps gobbles everywhere.We hurried up an got back into the blind yelp again here came 6 jakes to the struter decoy.I still don't know what the old man was doing?He should of killed one he said the window was in the wrong spot.So about an half hour later i backed out of the blind about 50 yards behind them.Made a series of yelps called them 6 jakes back to me they saw me and started to putt.Then a minute later i yelped again i heard a hen yelp back next thing i know me and her are in a heated discussion at 6 yards apart.After that i called 2 guys in so we left.We worked birds at two more spots but they just wouldn't budge.Then about 11:30 we went on the back side of the valley we hunted in the a.m.We walked out the road made a series of clucks and yelps heard one double gobble and a hen yelped we sat up on them i called the hen into 5 yards but no gobbler with her.It was a great day to be in the spring even though we didn't kill we had one hell of a time.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 14:47:25 (permalink)
    Hey Chicken- Thats more birds that I see in a year here. Good hunting hope they all get a bird  - you too.
    chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 15:18:06 (permalink)
    had three hammerin hard early...set up about 100 yds away between the birds and water...heard them come out of roost and not a single sound after that...had six deer come by about a half hour later and hang out around us for nearly an hour...after the deer left we packed it in...hopefully this week will provide a nice shooter

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 15:37:26 (permalink)
    Took a kid out this a.m. Was running and gunnin' and hadnt heard a bird till around 9. Had 2 birds fired up, one was hot and on the way in, got my little buddy ready, and set up but spot was low visibility and the bird got right on top of us pretty quick. He was on his first turkey hunt and just didnt realize how VERY still you must be even though i tried to explain that often lol. The gobbler was just coming into view the second my buddy was moving a little and that was all she wrote. That birds probably still flyin'.

Did find a nice big bag full of morels.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 19:30:23 (permalink)
    No dice.  Was traveling for work all week so didn't make the drive home to Potter Co like I usually do for the opener.  Decided to hunt local on open private land.  Was there before anyone else, but soon the woods were crowded.  Heard a few on roost, but too far to go after knowing how many others were in the woods.  Just took it easy and sat mostly.  Got up from my spot about 9:00 walked, 50 yards and heard gobble ring out less than 100 yds away.  Quickly grabbed a tree and thought the game was on.  Only heard him talk a couple more times.  About 15 minutes goes by then ka-bang!  So I was kinda bummed.  He wasn't my bird for sure, I think it must have walked right by the other guy him b/c I didn't hear another call at all.  Guess that's how it goes on open land.  I guess I'll only go there before work on the weekdays from now on.  Friend from work got a nice tom though.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 20:33:16 (permalink)
    Very little gobbing in the area I was hunting and surrounding area. Did hear 2 different groups of birds gobbling, but they shut up by 6:15, Didn't hear another gobble after that. Couldn't stay past 9:00 but I have all week off so I will be back at it Monday.

My father killed a bruiser in Greene Co., double beard, 22 lbs, and at 8:30. His hunting partner killed one at 9:30, they were hunting out of the same blind.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1071
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 21:52:49 (permalink)
    I set up at 5:15 and at 5:45 heard my first gobble, then a second, third and fourth. At times they almost gobbled in unison. They were in the field in front of me at 6:10 @ about 350 yards. They proceeded to criss cross that field twice with little to no attention paid to my calling so I resorted to trying to talk to the hens, soft purrs, feeding noises and soon had them on the way toward me with the longbeards following. The first hen crossed about 25 yards from me and continued to scratch and feed off to my right at about 40 yards with the "big birds" continuously calling for her attention. Soon a nice mature bird walked across in front of me at 20 yards and me with my gun by my side. Do you know how difficult it is to sit calmly(for almost 20 minutes) with a bird that close and gobbling. That bird took one step at a time about every minute and was within 20 yards but with a little brush between us. My heart was pounding so hard and fast I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
    By now I have the gun up and ready to pop him, he just needed to move six inches to an opening for a clean shot when a second longbeard coming again from my left came into the same area just a few feet from the first bird. It stood there behind a small sapling with it's head directly in line with the tree. Almost like clockwork they both ran directly away from me as the hen off to my right saw me and started running. Sweating, breathing hard and feeling like my chest was going to explode I picked up my decoy and headed for the car only to run into another hen and longbeard standing there watching me. At 7:30 I was back home eating breakfast wondering if I could ever screw up a turkey hunt any worse than I did today.

At least I'll get to go hunting for them again.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 21:57:50 (permalink)
    Dont wanna sound like I know all bout Turkey- who does? but those guys with hened up birds that don't come in for a couple of hours when not far off ought to wait it out. Can be frustrating trying to work a hened up guy but WAIT- unless of course they move far off.
      It can make ya nuts but when they are done with business with those other hens they WILL look you up. If they answered you a couple of times they got ya marked and will come by =sometimes a longer wait than ya want and sometimes you aren't the only hen clucking away so they go elsewhere - but quite often long after ya think you made a mistake and you have been making that occasional call for naught-=here they come-Often  with a hen coming in first- She got ya spotted too, and in her territory.
      Good luck guys.
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/04/30 22:16:56 (permalink)
    Took my brother and dad out, I like playin guide haha... we got in early but there was somebody already set up where I wanted to be, oh well I backed out a few hundred yds up the field and set up on a little green patch in the woods I like. Heard one hammering for that guy he was set up close, I got a different one gobbling but we were set up facing the open patch and he was gobbling behind us. My brother I got to turn around but couldnt get my dads attention and he didnt realize there was one coming in. He didnt gobble much so I dont think my dad knew what was going on and was scared to turn around so he didnt see but as soon as me and my brother turned around I could see him.

He walked right up to my brother and I was getting ready to stop him when my brother shot, 23yds laid him out.
    Now, about my brother... cant kill a deer to save his life but the luckiest son of a gun ever for turkeys... I took him out three times total ever, first time youth day had jakes come right up to him, I told him to shoot because I thought he was on em but when I told him to shoot he had to swing a bit and missed, second trip I called him in a longbeard, 10.5" killed him (where the other guy was), this trip he killed another magnum at 6:30... I mean if i had the money Id have it mounted for him...

21 pounds, 1" spurs, FOUR BEARDS! 9" main beard, 6.5",6",6" Total 27.5"!!!

I cant lie Im jealous

chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/01 10:22:53 (permalink)
    nice........

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/01 10:47:26 (permalink)
    I cant lie Im jealous

Me too.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/01 11:17:16 (permalink)
    Great bird.Retired guy we had the best day we ever had in the spring woods.The old man found this spot while coyote hunting this winter.I went down there 2 mornings and 3 evenings to make sure that the birds where there.I just enjoy my time hunting with the old man he aint getting no younger and my daughter just turnt 13 so how much longer will she went to hunt with her dad?I hope for the rest of her life but time will tell.
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/01 16:40:28 (permalink)
    My buddy and I headed to the mountains Friday night and put 3 chickens to bed to the hoot owl call. We got in the woods at 525 Saturday morning and the gobbling started at 20 till 6. I decided to leave the gun behind and call for my buddy since i wanted to get him his first turkey. It was one of the most exciting turkeys I have called in. He came down off the roost about 100 plus yards away and when I saw him he was hauling the mail towards us. At about 20 yards he gobbled and gobbled to make both our hearts race. Once the bird cleared this down tree in front of us, my friend shot and it did a back flip. This week its my turn to shoot.

Beard = 8 inch
    Spurs = 3/4 inch
    weight = 17 lbs   

I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/02 18:59:19 (permalink)
    Second day of turkey hunting was just a little bit wet out. But this time it was my turn to shoot since I let my buddy shoot his Saturday. He took me to his spot this time, we were not sure where the birds would be roosted so we went in one spot and at about 550 hit a hoot owl and they were about on top of us so we backed up to about 150 yards away. I put out the B-Mobile and the hen decoy. It didn't take long at all, they never answered our calls on the roost but on the ground they hammered to us 30 plus times and at 630 i had a long beard down. Hopefully taken my other buddy out in the morning to press his luck to some birds.

Beard= 8 inches
    Spurs = 1 inch
    weight = 22 pounds

chrishinesg
    Expert Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/02 20:06:18 (permalink)
    sweet...two in two days...good luck on the trifecta

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/03 08:11:24 (permalink)
    The daughter skip school yesterday to go chase Mr.Longbeard again.The birds gobble ok on the limb and for about an half hour after they hit the ground.They both took a littlt nap in the blind.Then there it was a gobble super close in front of us.I picked up the zink crystal call clucked two times and got the $hit scared out of me two gobble right beside the blind.I looked through the mesh an there was two jakes with in 5 feet of the blind.I told the old man to get ready with the bow he did but when they circled the blind they where walking straight away.It took him a long time to shoot for some reason by that time they where to far and he shoot right under him.So we been out 3 times and she could of killed everytime but she is she insisted on killing a longbeard.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/03 10:34:55 (permalink)
    first day was no dice for me, but my father had 2 jakes in his decoy spread and several others gobbling within 100 yards of him all morning that wouldn't come in.  monday, i had a long beard on the roost about 75 yards out strutting back and forth on the limb it was on and called in 2 long beards and a jake.  The three that came in walked on the wrong side of me so i didnt get the shot because by the chance i got to switch from shooting lefty to shooting righty they were already heading over the hill.  Looked like they had about 7"-9" beards, I'll get after them next week when I get the chance to go out thursday - saturday

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/03 20:07:31 (permalink)
    My dad and sister both got one so far.. I only seen some hens not much gobbling coming from my neck of the woods. can't hunt again until school gets out on friday. Ed
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/03 20:49:49 (permalink)
    Good luck Eman -
      Hey any of you guys doing that PM turkey hunting -like to know how that working out.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/05/03 20:50:28
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/03 21:01:08 (permalink)
    Can't hunt all day till the second half of the season i believe its may 16th don't quote me on that date though.

Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/06 23:32:00 (permalink)
    Do to my business,to busy to go but did slip out Weds.morning till 7:30 had the safty off but 50 plus was a little too far.Went Thurs. morning,a little different set up same woods,Bang 6:15 ,made some soft yelps two hens pitch down 15 yards in front of me.Huge butterball followed .Stutted into 25 yards I gave him a putt with my mouth to make him brake strutt and he  looked  right at me to late, bang 22 lbs 10 inch beard 1nch plus spurs,home by 6:40 and to work by 7:30. It was great morning in the turkey woods.
    blaze16412
    Avid Angler
    RE: The first day. How'd it go? 2011/05/14 12:22:51 (permalink)
    After a long week of hunting and getting hosed by the hens, the gobblers were on the move last night searching for new girls. This morning we got set up about 5 and they started gobbling late with cloud cover and rain. I hit the old Primos freak call and 4 birds cut me off 2 jakes and 2 long beards. It wasn't long I put 1 of the toms in front of my cousin, at 25 yards and the 3 1/2 Winchester supreme plowed him over. Its already at the taxidermy.

Beard: 10 inch
    Spurs: 1 inch
    weight: 21 lbs      

Jump to: