Things are looking up....

Author
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/14 13:05:26 (permalink)

Things are looking up....

Things look like they are changing for the better on the Erie tribs. There seems to be A LOT less trash lying around. People also seem more curtious.

Just this morning, I was fishing a run by myself and was unhooking a fish just down from where I caught her. A guy came around the corner and asked if I was fishing there. I told him yes but he was welcome to join in and he said great and we both hooked a few more.

That has happend a few times more than normal this year.

Things just seem a lot more friendly out there with less people arguing and hoging spots.

I've been seeing more and more people helping each other out as well. One guy gave up a perfect drift postion to another guy that was from out of town and got him hooked up with his first steelhead.

I saw a young man helping some elderly man down the creek bed while his friends raced ahead of him to fish.

Is it just me or do people seem to be catching on, and just enjoying their time on the water more?

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/

27 Replies Related Threads

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 13:38:47 (permalink)
    its not just you, i noticed it also...even though this is only my fourth year on the tribs for steel, this year people have been a lot more curtious and helpful. Two weeks ago a man was fishing a stacked up pool and was hooking up constantly with mini-foos, i didnt pick up any mini-foos yet and he offered me one i said thank you and tossed it to me and i started hooking up and then when he left i offered to give it back and he said that one wasnt his and it was ok because a man a few days ago gave it to him when he wasnt catching anything..
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 13:57:08 (permalink)
    Yeah .... Banner year for manners . Many good experiences this year on the tribs thank you all for being respectful and treating eachother with respect . More to you from where I sit.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 14:16:55 (permalink)
    Definitely agree Mike.  3 trips to Erie from Butler Co. so far this year = only 1 or 2 knuckleheads.  Gotta say too, that the friendliest people I've encountered on the streams this year - and in past years - have been guys from Erie too.  Not sure where all this goofy stuff about "locals" comes from, but most of the knucklheads I encounter seem to be from other places. 

Definitely have noticed far less trash along the streams too.  Should go without saying, but thanks to the guys who take time to pick up after themselves and others. 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 14:30:56 (permalink)
    Life is Good!

LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 15:22:41 (permalink)
    and all is right with the world...next thing ya know gas prices will be dropping, the Bills will win the superbowl and politicians will have kids in the military...crazy world we live in...

seriously though, that's great to hear.  I don't fish the tribs much anymore but I'm glad that people are catching on.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 15:29:14 (permalink)
    "the bills will win a superbowl"

I wouldn't take it that far. Kids in the military has a better chance of happening.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 15:47:19 (permalink)
    Most people I have talked to have been polite with the exception of a fellow who was lining fish and got rather snippy with me when I told him what he was doing could get him a ticket if the WCO caught him.  Outside of that, most everyone has been friendly or at least not hostile.  I have noticed a big increase in people who seem to be wondering around the streams pretty clueless.  I believe as the popularity of steelhead fishing increases, more people who have never fished for them are on the streams, especially the lower sections and they really don't know what to do.  A few have wanted help, others seem to be oblivious.

I have seen a few snaggers this fall and called them for keeping snagged fish.  One fellow said he did not know you cannot keep snagged fish and one fellow argued with me about calling out another person for roping a snagged fish.  His take on it was, the fish are put here for people to catch and it really does not matter how you catch them and I should just keep my mouth shut. 

Outside of those couple of unpleasant encounters, I have had a pretty good time fishing this fall.

pax vobiscum +
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 16:38:22 (permalink)
    A skilled angler catches 30 fish a day and keeps the three largest.  An unskilled angler catches two by snagging and keeps them even though they are small.  Who has harmed the fishery more?

I'm not advocated snagging or breaking the law, but I am wondering where the moral high road is in confronting the ignorant unskilled angler to the point of a verbal altercation.  Seems a simple "You aren't supposed to keep snagged fish," should be all that is required and all that should be offered.  Just my humble opinion.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 17:06:44 (permalink)
    MackJ,

All I said was you are not supposed to keep snagged fish and this other guy jumped in my face.  Part of the reason I spoke to the guy who was snagging and keeping fish is that it is wrong and illegal, but also to be helpful.  I honestly did not want him to get a ticket.  The guy who got in my face for talking to the guy who was snagging fish was not the one doing the snagging and he was the one who took an offensive tone wtih me.  I did not get in a fight with him about it.

I do not have a problem with people keeping fish, all I ask is that they catch them fairly and only take what they can use and leave the rest for others to enjoy.  You don't have to keep every fish you catch, especially if you really are not planning to eat the fish or give it to someone who will.

As for different skill levels, there are always people more skilled than we are and less skilled.  That is a fact, but not being skilled is no excuse for breaking the law.  If you don't know how to fish for these fish, or fish in general, take some time to learn.  If you care about the sport, it is not too much to ask to try to improve your skills.  It is quite simple, just watch the guys who are catching fish, and see what they are doing.  Ask them and most will tell you.  I know I have asked people what they were using, how much weight they had on, what type of hooks or flies they used, how to get a good drift, etc... With just a little time your skill level can jump tremendously.  Besides, as we learn from each other, we all improve and at the same time get to meet some interesting people.

To give you an example, a few years ago I was fishing the project waters and was having pretty good luck hooking steelies on a black woolly bugger.  I landed about a dozen or so fish and then had to leave to go to work or a meeting... On the way back to my truck, I crossed the stream and headed out.  A guy who was fishing across from me called to me and said he would give me $1000 if I could show him how to catch fish like I did.  I figured he was joking and I had no plan of taking any of his money, I simply pointed out that the fish were litterlly right at his feet along the shelf he was standing on.  I gave him a couple of flies and had him change his drift and he hooked up.  He was happy and I left feeling good as well.  All I am saying is if you want to know what to do, ask.

pax vobiscum +
    FishBurgh
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 178
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 18:14:44 (permalink)
    you didnt want the guy to get a ticket buggy?

I would have called Tolbert and volunteered to be a witness at the court hearing.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 18:34:59 (permalink)
    post edited by T.T. - 2007/11/30 10:33:37
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 18:51:46 (permalink)
    The guy did not seem like he really knew what he was doing and my yelling at him was a warning he should not put a snagged fish on a stringer.  I honestly would rather help educate someone than see them get busted.  If he had been a jerk about it, and kept the fish, then yes, I might have called the WCO.  Sometimes a word to the wise is better than a kick in the teeth.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/11/15 13:00:23

pax vobiscum +
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 19:12:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mikeg

Things look like they are changing for the better on the Erie tribs. There seems to be A LOT less trash lying around. People also seem more curtious.

Just this morning, I was fishing a run by myself and was unhooking a fish just down from where I caught her. A guy came around the corner and asked if I was fishing there. I told him yes but he was welcome to join in and he said great and we both hooked a few more.

That has happend a few times more than normal this year.

Things just seem a lot more friendly out there with less people arguing and hoging spots.

I've been seeing more and more people helping each other out as well. One guy gave up a perfect drift postion to another guy that was from out of town and got him hooked up with his first steelhead.

I saw a young man helping some elderly man down the creek bed while his friends raced ahead of him to fish.

Is it just me or do people seem to be catching on, and just enjoying their time on the water more?

Somebody must have forgot to tell the Amish guys over at 12 Mile the other day, without a doubt the rudest anglers I have seen on the tribs yet!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 21:03:02 (permalink)
    The Amish, without disrespect, are very focused on catching fish.  They tend to not have the same sense of common courtesy we would afford most people.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2007/11/15 08:02:51

pax vobiscum +
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/14 21:06:26 (permalink)
    Thats good
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 07:22:08 (permalink)
    You have to understand the amish. They are getting groceries and you fishermen are interfeering...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 08:04:31 (permalink)
    I believe you are correct about the Amish and fishing for them is about food. 

pax vobiscum +
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 08:20:18 (permalink)
    The dutchies don't mess around when in "harvest mode"
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 08:33:24 (permalink)
    "harvest mode"  

pax vobiscum +
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 11:27:35 (permalink)
    That's what needs to happen on this board. Don't need the smart**** remarks when some asks a question. Or don't need to hear about the doughnut club, Dr. Phil or Opra,or snipping of someone you don't even know.This is board is about fishing. Just my $.02.......
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 11:51:07 (permalink)
    Whats wrong with the dougnut club??????

I have also noticed a slight increase in streamside ediquette

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 11:52:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

Whats wrong with the dougnut club??????

I have also noticed a slight increase in streamside ediquette

Someone's just mad they weren't invited
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 15:44:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LDD

The dutchies don't mess around when in "harvest mode"

..I just laughed out loud
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 18:38:35 (permalink)
    Oh believe me it was pretty obvious that Amos and Jedediah weren't leaving the creek without a limit and that they were pretty serious about it. I do agree though it seems like everybody has been pretty courteous this year, except for the few times I've fished 12 when the water was high and a few guys at 20 that I wanted to clock.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 19:40:41 (permalink)
    I don't have a problem with them ,but you should see them hunting ,they look like some kind of ninja death squad.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 19:44:26 (permalink)
    No thanks, you got to be kidding.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Things are looking up.... 2007/11/15 19:51:47 (permalink)
    I have to admit it. When fishing the flood control lakes in Ohio I have to take my straw hat off to them. they can catch saugeye. And believe it or not had one offer to give me one (which I declined) . I'll have to say though they're boats look like centipedes on the water with all the rods poking out. No offense intended. Not meaning to get off track - yes I've noticed an improvment on the streams for the most part.  Dave
    post edited by elephanthead - 2007/11/15 19:53:28
    Jump to: