info an a good reel

Author
mxdad66
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 751
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/13 21:52:42 (permalink)

info an a good reel

Looking to get into the center pin scene.Does anybody recomend a good quality reel and ones to stay away from?I want quality and do not want to buy one today and find something better tommorow.Thanks
post edited by mxdad66 - 2007/11/13 21:53:17

8 Replies Related Threads

tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/11/14 15:32:30 (permalink)
    I would be curious about this too, and especialyl since setups tend to be a little more pricey. I'd like to get a dependable rig on the first shot.
    18andlife
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/11/14 16:24:38 (permalink)
    If you are looking for something that is an excellent all around durable reel that will handle any trib around here including niagara, Islander Steelheader is the best bang for the buck hands down. It has good startup,has low maintenance, holds a ton of line and is durable as hell. For a beginner not wanting to upgrade soon, this is the reel to get. I started with this reel and its an excellent runner. I recently acquired an Adcock Stanton that im falling in love with. And a new Milner is on its way. (Warning: Once you get into pinning, you will become a gear junky) I have heard mixed opinions on the less expensive Okumas and Ravens. Theres tons of reels out there and all are pretty much made with quality. You should also know that these reels are precision instruments and require extra care than you may use on a spinning reel or fly reel.

Rods: Probably the best bang for the buck here is the St. Croix wild river Series. Up from there you have Raven, Gloomis, Lamiglas..etc. It really all depends on what you like and dislike in a rod. I recently built a 13 ft rainshadow and am amazed at the power this rod has.

One other thing to remember(before you blow a ton of money) is your not going to catch more fish just by using a centerpin reel. Float fishing is an art in itself and mastering it takes realizing what your presentation is doing under the water. Once you understand the drag free drift, you will then know the importance of a centerpin and float rod.
    post edited by 18andlife - 2007/11/14 16:27:04
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/11/14 21:59:02 (permalink)
    I agree w 18andlife.  Drift fishing is an art much like fly fishing.  If your not catching fish with a noodle rod your probably going to have minimal luck with the centerpin.  I fish an 11 6 St Croix Wild river and loomis reel.  Although the loomis reel has been dependable I look back and realize I should've went with something else like an islander.  When I bought the reel the difference in price was fiarly substantial so I went with a dependable name that I knew more about.  Islander is probably the way I would go if your serious about getting into it and wanting to get a high quality set up of the start.  Rods are important but in pinning reels r probably just a little more important.  You have to remember that 13 foot of rod can be hard to get through the bushes and fish the smaller parts of Lake erie tribs.  The 11 to 12 foot range is all that you would need for PA tribs.  Get something you can hold all day also, these rigs tend to get alot more heavy than your traditional fly rod or favorite spinning rig.  As far as line that can in any direction, I like siglon in an 8 to 10lb mainline then running your basic fluro or mono lead.  Hope this helps you out!
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/11/18 12:15:41 (permalink)
    18andlife,

I've been looking into going to the centerpin and been reading all the past posts that you and other knowledgable pinners have posted. Thanks for all you insight and help.

Sounds like Islander is the way to go if it's affordable. Can you answer some questions concerning the issue with guides on the Raven, Loomis and Lamiglass rods. I've read that some pinners distinctly dislike some of these guides due to freeze up concerns. What have you found to be the best guides on the stock rods.

Thanks and tight lines,

OldSalt
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/11/18 15:33:44 (permalink)
    Very good advice, you sound like the professional centerpin fisherman I met at the trestle pool last week. He explained centerpin fishing much the same way you do here. I however last week was spin fishing sacks using the typical rigging, barrel to leader and somewhat a couple of large (hand grenade size) split shots if you get my drift?.. but by understanding and applying his helpful advice in using the float method,I had much better success from then on drifting more water with less snags and most importantly getting the best possible drift presentation... Using my okuma guide select IM8 9'6' 6 to 12 lb rated steelhead spinning rod outfitted with 8 lb test mono on my shimano stradic 2000, i used a small #12 barrel to a lenght of #6 or #8  to a bronze #10 egg hook or which ever bait/lure hook size desired( the pros go as light as 2lb.test for those line shy fish days) be it flouro or ultra green maxima mono, I want to try and make my tippet lenght proportionate for getting the lure or bait to drift just off bottom of that stretch of pool I'm fishing. The sizes and amount of splitshot wt. is also important to get that perfected drift. All it takes is getting the proper drift by using just enough wt and leader material under a float to get that lure drifting just off the bottom in those pools. Centerpin rod/reel combinations offer hands down the best float method. The float method is better for any rod/reel you intend to use on the SR, be it regular spinning outfits or even nymphing with a traditional flyrod, there are many advantages in using floats on the SR. Not only do floats increase your chances landing fish,but by using a float you are likely to avoid the many snags in the river.  The float allows you to drift with less main line current drag thus giving you better control over more water and offering more drift with the required presentation for these smart fish. The key is leader rigging, the leader should have just enough number of small/tiny  splitshots spread out to keep that egg sack drifting low near bottom.You will know to adjust the amount of splitshot needed after a few drifts.The float is a great tool in that it features as a sounder for finding depth for proper rigging, a fish indicator  ummm ahh yeah okay!...and what I discovered as an attractor when two different steelies smacked my float like they would a J-plug .. What you want to do is make wt. adjustment to get that nymph or sack right in front of their noses . Alot less time/money waisted  re-tying snagged breakoffs too.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/12/04 11:27:23 (permalink)
    Bought the Islander reel,St.Croix wild river series 13' rod,spooled with8'siglon.What a way to fish! My noodlerod found it's new home,the rod rack.Had a few ****ed of moments at first,but now I love it.I have hooked way more fish with this setup,what a difference it makes getting that line off the water.The rod is a little long for Erie,but like my son said"Suck it up".Thanks for the info.,I think 18andlife and everyone else steered me in the right direction,THANK YOU.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/12/04 16:46:15 (permalink)
    Good to hear you like the setup!!! If the 13 foot rods too much you can step down to the 11.5 in the wild river series, its got lots of backbone and still soft enough to fish lighter leads.  Good Luck!!!!
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: info an a good reel 2007/12/05 11:19:50 (permalink)
    Raven SST just my opinion very good reel had mine for 6 years now and very happy and i spend alot of time on the tribs and off season i am fishing the rives for smallies on it.....never a lick of trouble.
    Jump to: