WHEN THE WATERS MURKY?

Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/12 14:45:24 (permalink)

WHEN THE WATERS MURKY?

i have no problem catching steelies in clear of off color water when i can still see their football shadows. when the waters running faster, like last weekend and stained, like rods shorts, do the steelhead hug the bottom more or stay suspended as on slower clearer days days??

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

9 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/12 16:30:43 (permalink)
    anadrom, that's all i needed to know to give me more confidence in murky water. thanks ~doubletaper

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/12 18:08:52 (permalink)
    If the water is real high try closer to the banks first. They will stay closer to the bottom at the slower current. You have to remember that they want to spend the least amt of energy to stay put. W/ the murky water you can go to a larger dark fly. I've used tall atlantic salmon flies for them and have had great success in stained water. The taller profile gives just that a larger offering.
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

i have no problem catching steelies in clear of off color water when i can still see their football shadows. when the waters running faster, like last weekend and stained, like rods shorts, do the steelhead hug the bottom more or stay suspended as on slower clearer days days??
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/13 10:21:17 (permalink)
    saltfly, thanks for your input.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/13 18:42:00 (permalink)
    anadr. you say highly visible but you say to use black?? i understand evening fishing for trout with dries in contrast with the evening sky but i'm trying to understand nymphs and such in murky water. so when you say visible and then are suggesting black nymphs or black sucker spawn i guess i don't understand..

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/14 18:14:46 (permalink)
    How are ya D.T....Yea black shows up good in murky water...it's a color spectrum thing. I've done real good on chartreuse estaz eggs in murky water. I think the main thing is to have confidence in your presentation. Don't forget they can see a size 22 midge and be picky about the color.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/14 21:29:23 (permalink)
    rippinlip, just waiten to got up this weekend. brrrr, sounds like it will be cold. thanks for the info. murky water is the only time i lack confidence. with all you guys input i'll try something different and hang on. if you see me this weekend give me a hollar!!! FISH ON!!!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/15 19:26:05 (permalink)
    You got it D.T....I think for this weekend I will pack away the breathables and get out the neoprenes.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/15 22:24:01 (permalink)
    rippinlip, I may decide to wait 'till next saturday to go up. i'm not all that crazy about fish'n in freezen weather or driven icy roads yet. if i had a 4wheel drive might be a different story. my sis, from the east side of erie, suppose to e-mail me on the weather tomorrow. also a friend of mine is going up tomorrow morning and suppose to give me a call on the way back on where and how he did. i'll give you a pm with the results.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    RE: WHEN THE WATERS MURKY? 2007/11/16 17:40:28 (permalink)
    I sometimes get flustered when they are that selective. I'll drive myself bonkers and tie and retie different flies trying to figure em out. It can be rewarding when you do. Then there are the days when you tie on a fly,get a hit, then they ignore it....you keep changing and keep connecting. I like the days when they hit anything you put in front of them but those days are few and far between for me.

Jump to: