EHD deer

Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/12 09:30:54 (permalink)

EHD deer

Has anyone came across a deer with the disease?   One in the process of dying ? 

Two weeks ago, we put on a mini-drive.  I was the sitter and I noticed a belly in the distance.  I walked up to 4 point.  Suddenly, its left front leg started moving.   I went around to the front side to find the deer still alive, foaming at the mouth, and wheezing heavily.  No entry or exit holes, no apparent gore marks.  No blood.  It had its neck wrapped around a blow down trying to sufficate itself.  The blow down was originally about 6-7 inches thick but was almost completely worn through to the ground from the deer rubbing its neck around it.  Lots of leaves kicked up and the bare ground was showing close to the deer.  There was no case of a struggle in the surrounding area except where the deer was.  Figuring that this disease would need to be tested within 24 hours of death, I let the deer go.  It couldn't even lift its head to look at me. It was stiff the next morning when we took the game warden down.  We got the deer to the lab within 18 hours since I found it. Overnight, something tore a hole in its back.  The warden noticed maggots on the hole and said that some of the them were second stage and had been there for at least 3 days.  The hair on the deer pulled out with ease.  It's currently at the lab for testing.

We have had no confirmed cases of EHD and was curious if anyone has witnessed a dying animal.
post edited by SilverKype - 2007/11/12 09:43:21

5 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: EHD deer 2007/11/12 12:11:55 (permalink)
    2 weeks ago a friend of mine noticed something similar on his property.  He owns a nice chunk of property and as he walked out to check on a food plot in the evening he noticed a small buck stumbling around.  He was able to walk right up to the 6 point and grab it, he said it was really weak and out of breath. Sounds awfully similar to your story.  Im not sure what he did to the deer because this story is secondhand as I havent spoken to the property owner firsthand yet.  Also im lacking a few more details but im sure i will find out the rest soon.  The property is in Armstrong county, and as far as I know there havent been any confirmed cases there yet.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: EHD deer 2007/11/12 20:50:47 (permalink)
    What with the frosts we've had, I think the disease will die down now.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: EHD deer 2007/11/21 12:14:24 (permalink)
    This deer was shot.  Broadhead stuck in the spine.  I didn't see the hole until the next day.  It was getting dark that night and I didn't want to get too close as it was still alive.  Deer must have been right underneath the hunter as the hole was right on top.   No exit hole.  The spine was broken.  Pretty hard to imagine it was shot anywhere else but there; just can't see it making it far with a broken back.  Pretty hard to imagine someone walking up to a deer they just shot, found it to not have 3 pts. on a side, UNSCREW the arrow, and leave the animal to die.  Man oh man, I know of three vehicles that were hunting there.  I gotta get that broadhead to find out what type it was.  Sorry, just venting. 
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: EHD deer 2007/11/22 12:50:02 (permalink)
    thats just disrespectful and wrong....why would someone do that.. my buddys dad shot a buck that wasnt legal, he got a 25 dollar fine  and he got to keep the deer just not the antlers.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: EHD deer 2007/11/25 19:07:15 (permalink)
    It is passed on through mites, w/ the frost that has happened it would have killed the mites already. In NJ here we had a large amt of deer found w/ ehd. Most of the deer are found around water. I shot a deer a week ago and no problem w/ it and its hide was very clean, no ticks. The cooler weather has killed down any pests.
    Jump to: