2007/11/11 21:20:36 (permalink)

How do you catch them Steal?

To all you Vets , how do you do it?

12 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/11 21:22:23 (permalink)
    hU uks

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/11 21:23:16 (permalink)
    This long thingy called a Rod............

killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/12 10:07:47 (permalink)
    take a big magnet and tie it to a rope...
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/12 10:31:23 (permalink)
    To give the short answer, you get a feel for it over time.  If you are using flies, you may have to change quite a few times until to you find one they want to hit.  Also, you need to find active fish.  Throwing bait or flies to a bunch of fish that are sitting in a pool with their noses down and tails up is a recipe for disappointment.  Find the riffles, small pockets and tails or heads of pools where the fish are moving around and more likely to bite.

Try to put the bait or fly right in front of the fish.  The presentation is very important.  If you are using a float, don't let the float drag the bait or fly around.  Same with the floating fly line.  Keep the fly line off the water as much as possible and work to get a natural drift.  You want the bait or fly out in front of the line, not behind dragging along.

Don't use large hooks and big goobs of bait.  I saw some guys the other day with #6 or larger trebble hooks with huge chucks of skein on them.  They were having little or no luck outside of snagging fish.  #12 hooks are about as large as you need, #14's are fine.  A reasonably good, inexpensive hook is a Mustad 3399.  These hooks are pretty good for single eggs, egg sacks, minnows, meal or wax worms or even God forbid PowerBait.

As for flies, #14 sucker spawn and glo bugs are usually pretty good for average water conditions, along with #14 olive, brown and black pheasant tails.  I will often use woolly buggers, usually #8 or #12 in a wide variety of colors depending on the water conditions.  Blue and white buggers the other day seemed to be working well.  Purple, black and olive are good choices as well.

Another good bait are mini foos tipped with maggots.  These things can be dynamite sometimes.  Simply drift they under a float near the bottom.  When the fish are biting, they gooble these up.

The last thing to keep in mind, is practice your drift.  A good drift is critical.  You can have the right fly or bait, but if you are not getting it to the fish correctly, they will refuse it.  Watch your depth and amount of weight as well.  Change these if you are not catching fish.  Some times just a little more weight or less as the case may be, and a few inches of adjustment in where your float is can mean the difference between no hits and catching fish.

Good luck next time on the stream.

pax vobiscum +
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/12 10:33:57 (permalink)
    A crane and a large box trap. Wait for them to swim upstream then lift the trap. You'll get all the fish you need for patties, fish loaves and fertilizer. Not to mention a few fines!

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/12 12:30:35 (permalink)
    i fished saturday in good conditions at walnut and elk, and caught nothing!  arrrrghhhh!
    I had fun, the streams and woods are beautiful, but boy it would have been nice to at least catch ONE!  I used the fly rod with all the usual flies, then a noodle rod with minnies, eggs, etc.  Had one hookup with a fun 2 minute fight that took me for a ride.  BUT, none landed.  I watched other people catch em, but i am obviously doing something wrong.  I changed my weight, sometimes used a float, sometimes didn't, changed the level the float was at, etc.  Nothing.  I hope that someday I will be more successful.  UNtil then, I will keep pluggin away. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/12 12:44:42 (permalink)
    Really, the answer is no ONE way, but EVERY way. Being able to adapt to water conditions, pressure, and the mood of the fish is key. There is no method that WON'T work, and no method that ALWAYS works. One suggestion, is to avoid the temptation to drift through the middle of a pod of fish. Fishing the edge of the pod, will find more active fish, and result in less foul hooks.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/12 21:42:31 (permalink)
    I think its called a weighted treble with about 60lb test they fight hard likeidk maybe a tuna so i would use about a 5 foot ugly stick with a thickness of about 5 inches
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/14 09:34:28 (permalink)
    Ya , adapting to a changing situation can be rewarding. I love fly fishing but am not above going to a spinning outfit. Lures only.
    I sometimes will just watch others to see how they fish. There are some very good fishers out there and I like to learn when ever I see them.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/14 22:01:55 (permalink)
    mikastorm, after reading your report about watching others fish. isn't it stange someone in a crowd will be fishing for a few hours and not be catching a thing, then when he finally hooks into one, after 3-4hours, all of a sudden he's an expert and talks loudly how he caught the fish like he's been catching them all day....

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/14 23:47:02 (permalink)
    . Ya, there are alot of instant experts out there.lol Some darn good fishermen too!

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: How do you catch them Steal? 2007/11/15 00:00:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: killdeer19

take a big magnet and tie it to a rope...

Thats what I plan to do.
    By now they should be filled with flys,hooks and treble hooks.

PS Skip:

IS ANNOYING AT FIRST.
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/11/15 00:02:48
    Jump to: