Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2011/03/06 00:43:22 (permalink)

Articulated fly

Hey all
I did a few articulated flys for a trip i have later this month. Havent deceided if i should clip the first hook or the back hook, Or if i should leave both hooks. Any thoughts on the subject?
Thanks
Trout Man

11 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/06 07:06:17 (permalink)
    Most of the tutes I have seen trim the back hook.
    I tie a small articulated stone and always trim the back hook.
    Seems to work.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/06 08:08:30 (permalink)
    it depends

-what kind of fly
    -how are you fishing it
    - what species

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/06 08:43:40 (permalink)
    post edited by rippinlip - 2011/03/06 10:56:43

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    trout man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/06 10:45:45 (permalink)
    Kjh
    Its a streamer about 4 inches long. Rabbit strips on the rear hook tied zonker style over chenille. Front hook is rabbit strip wrapped around the hook shank, with lead dumbell eyes. Gonna be fishing for trout at yellow greek trout club. I'll most likely be stripping it. Had some success at erie with a similiar fly, but didn't clip either hook. I tried to post a pic with my original post but was flaged because my file was too big.
    Thanks for your help
    Trout Man
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/06 12:23:03 (permalink)
    Leave them both

I definitely wouldn't clip the back hook...
    you'll be fishing stocked trout and that back hook will allow you to link up any short strikes

musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/10 01:19:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: trout man

Kjh
    Its a streamer about 4 inches long. Rabbit strips on the rear hook tied zonker style over chenille. Front hook is rabbit strip wrapped around the hook shank, with lead dumbell eyes. Gonna be fishing for trout at yellow greek trout club. I'll most likely be stripping it. Had some success at erie with a similiar fly, but didn't clip either hook. I tried to post a pic with my original post but was flaged because my file was too big.
    Thanks for your help
    Trout Man

I'm sure this fly works wonders, but I have to ask, when will you be fishing the club?

those trout don't start chasing streamers hard until April... if soon, you'll do better nymphing in tandem.  You will catch a few on streamers now though I'm sure, just a piece of advice.

the club, unless you get there a day the water is high and flowing good, has become full of slow deep water... sounds like a heavy fly that will be catching bottom a lot.
    trout man
    Avid Angler
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/10 10:51:04 (permalink)
    Hey musky

Will be at the club on march 22nd and 23rd. It may be a little early for streamers, but its not much different than fishng spinners or lures. We go there every year at about this time and do quite well with the hardware. The flys are not real heavy, about 1/8th ounce. Although i have not weighed them. I just need to keep them off the bottom. As for tandem nymphing, What would you recomend. Never fished nymphs in tandem. I have all the standard patterns. Just unsure of how far apart to fish them, weighting, what flys in front or back. Thanks for the advice.
    Trout Man
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/10 14:44:39 (permalink)
    Pheasant tails work wonders there... I would fish an 18 or 16 in size ten inches below a small thingamabobber, then clinch knot 1.5 feet below to a beadhead pheasant tail in a 14 or 12.  If they aren't taking that, switch to caddis larvae or other standard nymphs.  The shop-vac is also another great fly down there.  I used to fish this place quite extensively in the winter/early spring for trout, and carp in the summer. 

Streamers by that time should be good though man, and you're right, they do hammer them, especially downstream.  He has done some major stream adjustments, making the water slower... it's not what it used to be.  I would almost consider it more a spin fisherman's place now.  My favorite stretch was where the sandbar divided the fast water that came under that tree, downstream and the rock that hugged the bank.  This has been dredged and turned into pools like the first few by the parking lot.  I am not referring to the hole where the feeder is located that has the rock and fastwater either... go farther downstream.  It's still the best stretch, imo.

Just pray the pellets have not been released when you get down there.  If you really want to be prepared, stop in at Indiana Angler and ask the owner, Woody, for a few of his pellet flies that are made out of cork.  As you prob know, once there is pellets in the water, you can forget fishing with flies, so even though it's not ideal fishing, it's still fun catching hogs even if it's on a pellet.  The trick to fishing them is having them submerged a little, not riding high.

good luck and let us know how you did... take a camera.  If it wasn't for bings, this site would be dead of tall tales from anglers... no one posts pics or trip reports anymore :(.  I used to follow quite a bit before signing up, and miss the old regulars, even the annoying the chatter that came along with them.
    citysticker
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/13 21:42:11 (permalink)
    i would post more pictures if it wasnt so difficult and user "un friendly"
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/13 22:52:20 (permalink)
    Leave them both. Legal in PA. 

Lyrical
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    RE: Articulated fly 2011/03/14 14:57:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Leave them both. Legal in PA. 

Nice dog.  Yours?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: