Boots

Author
nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/10 16:19:18 (permalink)

Boots

im looking for a good set of new boots. any suggestions? I found a pair i like but apparently they discontinued them. Irishsetter deer tracker. they have a new model, deer tracker II. but didnt like the look as much and they cost more. Does anyone know where i can get the original deer tracker I? I like a boot that has the stitched on on tread, not the glue. I like aggressive tread like the ol style X tread on the inside and the rectangle knobs around the outside. If anyone knows of a good quality boot that theyve had good expierience with, let me know. im sick of buying junk boots for $60-$180 that have the same quality as some walmart specials. im hard on boots and i need something comfortable that will last at least a few years.

3 Replies Related Threads

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Boots 2007/11/10 16:21:32 (permalink)
    get something made by red wing, all of those boots are high quality
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Boots 2007/11/11 22:12:00 (permalink)
    Check out the Irish Setter, Elk Trackers.  I have 2 pair.  I wear them for deer hunting in PA and when we go elk hunting in Idaho.  They come in several differnt grades of insullation.  I have the 600 gram and 1000 gram.  The 600 are made with a softer leather.  Bought a pair of 400 gram Danner Pronghorns this year and they are real nice, but they have the molded sole.  Didn't thing I would like them, but they are turning into my favorite. 
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Boots 2007/11/14 00:20:00 (permalink)
    thanks guys, i ended up picking up some Elk tracker 882 w/600gram insulation. they seem to be a good quality boot. i asked the guy at the boot shop i bought them at, "what I should use to treat them, mink oil". and he said not to use mink oil because it will clog the goretex then he sold me Red Wing Shoes Natur-seal waterproofing paste. Then i got on the Irish setter website to look at what they recommended for care and it says for the elk trackers use Irish Setter Mink Oil.
       Should i use the irish setter mink oil or believe the boot guy and use the Natur-Seal??
    is there any other recommendation to care for leather gore-tex boots to help them last?
    Jump to: