fly fishing magazine

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/25 19:37:48 (permalink)

fly fishing magazine

is one any better than the other? does one deal with warm water species and trout fishing more? i doubt if i will ever do any bone fishing or exotic fishing in another country.

12 Replies Related Threads

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 20:38:15 (permalink)
    Most of the major fly fishing mags seem to focus on trout, with bonefisha nd tarpon second, and warmwater species in third. Eastern Fly Fisherman and Fly Fisherman are both good. Fly Fusion isn't bad either, but theres only two I read anymore- The Drake and The Flyfish Journal. They're both very well written with gorgeous photography. They're not so much about the "how" of fly fishing as to the "why". The first few I mentioned have more about the "how".

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 20:54:56 (permalink)
    Eastern fly fishing
    its a glorified guide brochure that runs features on donny beaver waters

Fly fisherman is very much "how to"
    with some features on water.... most of the info is on the web

drake and flyfish journal are essays/photos/humor related to fly fishing as a lifestyle
    i like them both... except FFJ is like 15bucks

Rap
    What specifically are you looking for in a magazine?

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 21:00:35 (permalink)
    kevin, i guess a little of everything. how to-fireside readings-photos. i don't tie so i doubt if i would be interested in a rag that delves heavily into this arena. and i don't want to spend 15 bux either. i buy too much reading material as it is.

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 21:14:41 (permalink)
    FFJ is expensive, 40 bucks for a years subscription (and its a quarterly).
    Fly Fisherman has been going downhill the last two years or so. Ads for scrap gold and things like that are appearing, with lower quality articles than what used to run.

Go check out what they have at the local Gander Mntn. Every time I pick up fly fusion it has some neat article.
    If I had to choose just one it'd be the drake.

OHWM
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 22:04:34 (permalink)
    The Fly Fish Journal is good reading. It's about the culture. No how to. No spot burning. No egos. No hero worship. Just good reading.
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 22:13:23 (permalink)
    The drake
    musthuntmusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 201
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 22:32:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

FFJ is expensive, 40 bucks for a years subscription (and its a quarterly).
    Fly Fisherman has been going downhill the last two years or so. Ads for scrap gold and things like that are appearing, with lower quality articles than what used to run.

Go check out what they have at the local Gander Mntn. Every time I pick up fly fusion it has some neat article.
    If I had to choose just one it'd be the drake.

how about fly fisherman's issue last year on march browns in pa lol.. pathetic. only reason i had susribed to that and fly rod and reel was to fill up an xmas gift from one of the chicks' parents
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/25 23:05:22 (permalink)
    I'll go back and check that one out. I'm sure its not the greatest. When I go back to the late 90's when we started getting the magazine it was about half color half black and white, but the articles were better. Learned a lot of tying from that mag. over the years, but now its dissapointing.

Fly Tyer isn't bad for tying, but theres only so many tying techniques to write an article about. I think we've been getting that one for 12 or 13 years now, and by this point its mostly repetition. Nice pics of people's flies though.

OHWM
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/26 06:27:47 (permalink)
    I know it's not a real magazine but you guys ever check out catchmagazine.net it's put together pretty nice.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/26 11:55:26 (permalink)
    rap, these guys gave you the Rap on the mags.

most of the mags give new gear reviews, some tying and photo's. if you're getting into fly fishing they are informative but they seem to have the same 'best patterns and ideas' they had written about in the past few years. if you are learning how to fly fish they can all give you pointers and make up names of their techniques.
    if someone had an idea to spit on a fly and it caught a fish, they'd call it by another name, tell you how wonderfull it is, and show you how they tie it.

anyhow here's my view of what i've read. any i get now were gifts.

fly fusion= a canadian publication. the mag is $$$'s for only a few copies a year. not a bad read if you're into canadian fishing. here you get to see more ads from canadian dealers and companies.
    eastern fly fishing= a joke. this i a california publication that considers anything east of the california border as eastern fly fishing. i think they have a few people look on the web and write up their own version on the subject.
    fly fisherman= a lot of salt water fishing and big fish fly guys. a little more into the fly tying than the other mags. articles are interesting from around the states.
    american angler= ads, ads, more ads, and more places to advertise. if you like a few good articles mixed in with the ads this is still one of the better mags. it isn't the same without william tapply.
    fly rod and reel= pretty simular to fly fisherman if you ask me
    i find during the winter cold months the mags have tons more ocean fishing than stream fishing and more ads!!!!!

well these are the ones i have gotten over the years.
    by the way they all are the fishing authority on fly fishing, the leading magizine of fly fishing and the best fly fishing mag you can buy.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2011/02/26 12:03:16

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/28 09:59:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

The Fly Fish Journal is good reading. It's about the culture. No how to. No spot burning. No egos. No hero worship. Just good reading.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: fly fishing magazine 2011/02/28 11:34:49 (permalink)
    The Drake is the most interesting magazine, for me, the rest are garbage, IMO.

I have not seen "The Fly Fish Journal".
    Jump to: