What would you do?

Author
fishin coyote
  • Total Posts : 1668
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/07 18:24:29 (permalink)

What would you do?

I have a quick question.
Tonight I hunted an area that I have not seen a deer in the 5 times that I've hunted there this season. Tonight I saw 3 deer ,2 were bucks for sure chasing a doe also heard a fight about about 80-90yds away and much running back and forth. All of this happened in the last 20 mins of light.

My question is would you hunt this area in the morning or go to a area that has traditionally been a better morning site during the chase phase?
Mike 

5 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: What would you do? 2007/11/07 18:59:45 (permalink)

I would spend every minute I could in the area the rest of the season.  We lucked into an area with two hot doe in a 1/4 x 1/2 mile wood lot in Illinois one year and took 5 buck in three days with the bow. As long as she is laying down tracks in the area you are golden. Good luck.

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: What would you do? 2007/11/07 19:10:23 (permalink)
    I agree with s-10, if theres a few bucks around each other and a hot doe, then there will be gurenteed deer activity in the same area. All the rutting activity I have seen has been in the morning, I'd hunt the morning if I were you and I would stay in the stand till lunchtime if you can.  Where I hunt, the deer have been on their feet for the first good half of the day, then it will slow down in the afternoon, then pick back up towards dark. Good Luck!

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: What would you do? 2007/11/07 19:31:24 (permalink)
    I would spend every minute I could in the area the rest of the season.

Ditto, unless we get the warm-up scheduled, and you end up sweating up a bit getting in and out.  That's when you are going to lay down the most scent, but then again, when their own hormones are raging, you may not affect the area to a great degree. 

If you still need to fill a tag come rifle season, I would think the tried and true spot for first light, first day, would be the way to go.  But, as we all know, once first light comes on opening morning, unless you're on a huge tract of land with little pressure, you're going to be seeing pressured deer that may never have been where you are at that moment, so patterning is out by then.  Cover, scent, water, and food are in my opinion the things, in that order, to worry about once the lead starts flying, and you know where the scent will be.  The rest is up to you to figure out.  Good luck.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: What would you do? 2007/11/08 18:26:45 (permalink)
    I'd try to stay on stand all day where you saw the rutting activity.  If that doe is hot, those bucks will still be around or maybe a better one will show up and run them off.  If I knew where a hot doe was, I'd hunt there...even if she was hanging out in a walmart parking lot!
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1668
    RE: What would you do? 2007/11/08 21:01:44 (permalink)
    I'd like to report that my hot doe and her gentlemen freinds have left the area. LOL
    Spent 11.5 hrs in the tree stand today and saw 4 fawns and 1 very nice 6pt before 8:45 after that nothing. It's been a long day.
    Mike
    Jump to: