First Time There

Author
dipseediver
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/03 21:34:35 (permalink)

First Time There

I will be coming up in a week. This will be my first time at the Salmon River and wonder if anyone can suggest a good place to start. Hopefully somewhere with easy access and marked well so that I don't have to worry about posted land.

Thanks in advance,

buff

19 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/04 00:21:50 (permalink)
    Hmmmm.
    What will you be targeting? Steel?
    How long will your stay be?
    What type of fishing? Fly, spin, pin?

Lyrical
    dipseediver
    New Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/06 18:35:23 (permalink)
    Salmotrutta,

I will be there a half day saturday, full day sunday, and another half monday. I have my fly rod with me and have been considering steel.

Thanks in advance

Dipsee
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/06 18:41:30 (permalink)
    get a map of the salmon river, then pick a DEC access point and explore. There is tons of wonderful water to fish. Good Luck!
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/06 19:16:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dipseediver

I will be coming up in a week. This will be my first time at the Salmon River and wonder if anyone can suggest a good place to start. Hopefully somewhere with easy access and marked well so that I don't have to worry about posted land.

Thanks in advance,

buff

Don't know which week your going? but I'll be there the 16th and 17th, would be happy to show you around either way get a map everything is easily accessed then just watch the flow, you'll see the runs and path of the flow.. the only question is what species?  that would dictate your fly line and tippet/leader, oh yeah! and what flies to use. I've had much success in the ball park!  don't get dissapointed if you hook a few and loose them...thats half the fun of learning to land them!  Good luck!  send me a PM if ya wanna hook up
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/07 00:49:02 (permalink)
    I fish just like fishing for Trout at home, only a tad heavier. 8 Wt. for Salmon River!
    Floating Fly Ling with a Tapered leader down to 10-12 lb. Floutocarbon Tippet (I use flouroflex) (about 36"). Total leader no longer than 9 feet I'd say. Put your shot on just above the tippet knot. Enough weight to get down to where the fish are in the water colomn as the fly drifts by.
    As for flies- I did well with Glo Bugs a couple weeks ago, Best color at daybreak being a bright yellow (Niagra Gold) and once the sun was on the water a (Golden Nugget)- pale Orange color was the ticket. I tied my bugs on 8's cause I ran out of 10's.
    Hope this helps some.

Lyrical
    dipseediver
    New Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/07 17:44:33 (permalink)
    Salmotrutta,

I have your setup exactly. I talked with a local and he set my up with a map and a few fishing holes to try just off of 81 around Pulaski. Of course the next question I have is about shot. The rules say they prohibit the sale of lead but I did not see anything about the use of lead. Which do you use?

dipsee
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/08 00:18:58 (permalink)
    You can use lead if you have it,but can't buy it in NY.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/08 00:31:46 (permalink)
    Yep- what PA said. I use dinsmores egg shot. Last time up I used 1 or 2 AAA's depending on the slot. I was fishing close so I needed it to get the fly down to the fish in a hurry.
    Gottum helped me get zero'd in.

Lyrical
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/08 13:58:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dipseediver

Salmotrutta,

I have your setup exactly. I talked with a local and he set my up with a map and a few fishing holes to try just off of 81 around Pulaski. Of course the next question I have is about shot. The rules say they prohibit the sale of lead but I did not see anything about the use of lead. Which do you use?

dipsee

here's a set up for ya, try this out and you'll never loose your flys or break off from having the shot hang up on rocks:
    attach a 30lb but section to your fly line w/nail knot approx 30 in long
    next add a 20lb section w/ double uni knot approx 12 to 14 in long
    attach that end to a small swivel leave a long tag end
    at the other end of the swivel your tippet whatever your using 6lb 4lb 8lb whatever........remember no more than 4ft
    the tag end hanging is where I add the split shot 2 or 3 sometimes 4 depending on the water flow

the nice part is if your shot gets hung up on the rocks it just slides off and you never loose our fly, you may use alot of shot but its cheap compared to the price of flys.....

Oh yeah that oppsite of the tippet is where you tie your fly on...LOL

Good Luck.........try this system out it works great.

ps you can increase the length of the top section to match the depth of the water your fishing, I use a good flurocarbon for all lengths.
    dipseediver
    New Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/11 23:24:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help guys.

I hit the water today and did not even see a fish. Hopefully tomorrow will be different.

thanks,
    buff

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/15 17:09:20 (permalink)
    best advise As for me and for spin fishing, I can give you for steelhead is to have at least a 9.6 steelie rod or better. I use a stradic 2000 spooled with 8lb. mono. rigs I would use are as follows: tippet materials be it fluro or max ultra green in 4lb.6lb. 8lb. test and an assortment of small split shots and chemically sharpened  egg sack hooks bronze preferrably size 10 but some 12s and 8s too are fine. The pencil floats the tackle dealers recommend for the water flow at that time. Good pair of chestwaders with at least felt but better metal stud footwear and a waders belt should you fall in you waders won't fill and possibly save you from drowning.  Warm clothes,dress in layers warm hooded rainwear fishing gloves.  Learn the water fast by watching those who seem to be hooking up most in the pools you visit. You can find fish throughout most all the pools along the SR should you be fortunite to get some helpful tips as to lenght of wt.leader,as well as splitshot  size/wt needed for a proper drift and presentation for these smart fish in those particular stretches you will be fishing.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/15 17:12:59 (permalink)
    pa was that you in burger king who spilt his soda on tues.? or was that another pa regular?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/15 19:43:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: backin79

pa was that you in burger king who spilt his soda on tues.? or was that another pa regular?

LMAO!

Lyrical
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/17 01:42:09 (permalink)
    It was n't me,I have n't been in a Burger King lately or Pulaski.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/18 10:21:50 (permalink)
    pa, did meet a pro angler who claims he fishes SR throughout the year almost every chance he gets. Me and my friend spin drifting just upstream from a centerpin who pretty much owned any fish within his drift. Well, with gasoline and oil spiking the cost of just about everything, I feel fortunite to have shared one trip this year at SR.
    dipseediver
    New Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/18 12:39:25 (permalink)
    Well guys,

I hit this river for 2 days and did not see a fish. For that matter I did not see anyone catch a fish. The water flow was 500 when I was there. I do not know is this made a difference. The Salmon is big water and I plan fishing it again the weekend after thanksgiving.

dipsee
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/18 13:04:53 (permalink)
    Big water indeed. Too bad about the fishing.
    500 is a good level.

Lyrical
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/18 13:24:27 (permalink)
    dipsy i believe you! when we were up last tues and wed., not much was happening for all who were fishing up and down the whole SR. Tues I only seen a few pros using centerpins catch&release a few steelies and one brown. That day I only had two hits and missed both using my pretied orange brown eggs. Rumor then was use dark streamers patterns such as a woolybug leech pattern etc. and for sacks the color blue seemed to be the preferred. That night at the motel I tied a few doz blue sacks and although it was tough fishing,managed to hook-up a couple before 11am at the trestle pool. Later in the day my partner and I didn't get one hit at that blackhole at sportsmans pool one juvenille steelies like 7 inches ( town bridge was off limits posted) ended the day just below rt 2 bridge and managed to land 1 nice steelie and a small solid battle out of 4 total hits in that spot before the sun set and it was time to head home. I thought someone snapped a picture of me looking at the website of the fisherman in waders with the cap on fishing, the steelhead 2007 picture, that guys silhouette profile shot very much amazingly resembes me.  
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: First Time There 2007/11/19 19:53:04 (permalink)
    THAT'S A DREAM ON
    Jump to: