my cousins Warren Co. 10 point

Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/01 15:27:16 (permalink)

my cousins Warren Co. 10 point

Here is a pic of my cousins Warren Co. 10 point he shot on Halloween morning.  10 points, 3 kickers (split brow), 23" outside spread, 24" main beams, 170# at the butchers.   Don't you just hate antler restrictions?  :-)

23 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/01 15:47:52 (permalink)
    I do, but nice buck anyways.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/01 16:10:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.

I do, but nice buck anyways.

Yep, those spikes and fork horns always look better on the meat pole!  Thanks for your input.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/01 16:17:03 (permalink)
    ...and they taste great on the grill.

I'm not doggin' you or this buck.  That's actually a great buck for Warren County.  I know, I've hunted most of it for 24 years.  I was shooting 8pt. bucks there long before AR, so I personally don't agree with AR.  You brought it up, I thought I'd comment.  Don't tell me, you eat those antlers.
    Termite_Tavern
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/01 16:56:46 (permalink)
    Nice buck!  What area of Warren County if you dont mind me asking? State Game Lands or Private?  I have a camp up there and i have not seen any sign.  I think all the warm weather set back the normal deer movement in my area.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/01 19:17:57 (permalink)
    Very nice buck...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/01 20:17:10 (permalink)

Unless that is a 2-1/2 year old buck it got that big in spite of AR not because of it. AR was never intended to produce bucks that nice and even the PGC will tell you that. It was only meant to move more bucks up to 2-1/2 years old and make us forget that herd reduction was the real goal. The real downside to AR/HR is that it puts much more pressure on the 2-1/2 old deer and those 1-1/2 with good genetics preventing many of them from becoming any older. The 85,000 hunters that used to shoot their buck and go home are now still in the woods looking for a legal buck out of a greatly reduced deer herd. That reduces the odds of a buck making it any older. They may be a bit smarter but they don't live in a cave. That is a great buck for Warren county but a handfull have gotten killed here every year since hunting started. I'am like T.T. in that I was killing good bucks before AR and still am and I started hunting seriously in the 60's. If anything, this years crop of bucks is on average the worst I have seen since the early seventies. I know several areas around Warren where you might find one like that but all are private and most patrolled.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/02 11:38:02 (permalink)
    "Don't you just hate antler restrictions?  :-)"

Yeah, I just hate those f'n antler restrictions.

Very nice deer!

HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/02 20:43:34 (permalink)
    From lookin at the pic, couldn't ask for a better shot, doubt i would have gotten a good shot like that on that nice of a deer between shakin & bein nervous.

Ronnie
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/02 22:10:07 (permalink)
    I'm sure he had to study this deer a long time before he could tell if it was legal or not.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/03 10:44:41 (permalink)

Does your cousin have a farm in Scandia?

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/03 20:51:10 (permalink)
    Nice buck right there.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/04 20:47:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Does your cousin have a farm in Scandia?

No.

Shot on private land.  My cousin and many of his friends have taken really nice bucks on public as well as private land open to the public in Warren Co.  If you put in the extra effort, you will be rewarded.  He and his buddies have definitely seen an increase in nicer deer since AR.  Not all of them agree with HR but not one of them is against AR.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/04 22:07:15 (permalink)
    eyes&gills, your cousin & friends already had the opportunity to practice AR before the PGC forced it upon those of us that are against it.I would like to see the PGC issue 2 different licenses,1 color for those for it  & 1 color for those that liked it the way it was.When I suggested that to them they didn't even bother to answer me.   sam
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/05 08:08:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

eyes&gills, your cousin & friends already had the opportunity to practice AR before the PGC forced it upon those of us that are against it.I would like to see the PGC issue 2 different licenses,1 color for those for it  & 1 color for those that liked it the way it was.When I suggested that to them they didn't even bother to answer me.   sam

Good for the PGC.  Talk about an enforcement nightmare! 

Doesn't matter how much they would practice AR's on their own, there would still be people like yourself shooting the little bucks negating their efforts. 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/05 11:21:45 (permalink)
    I wouldnt have answered either.

One way I look at it, if you arent concerned about antlers, and just want venison on the table, shoot a doe or get a bonus tag and shoot 2. I believe we have a state that is very capable of producing a lot of good bucks. We will never know the potential if we dont let them live long enough to prove it.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/05 13:12:59 (permalink)
    You let 'em walk, I'll fill my tags the way the regs. allow.  Why should I have to buy additional tags???  The antlered tag comes with the general license, so why shouldn't we get to fill it legally?  I buy a doe tag for a local doe.  If I need to buy additional tags, that means I have to spend a ton of gas in order to use it, as my area NEVER has unsold tags. 

To me, a good buck is any male deer I put in the freezer.  I feed my family with the meat, and will never serve up antler stew.  If I can fill all my tags, that means meat for the whole year.  That's where my wife and I prefer our red meat to come from.  If I don't fill a tag (yeah, right) or only fill one, that means I've got to spend money on meat from an industry I just don't trust.  I mean, it's not like I'm gonna go vegan just because I didn't kill 2 or more deer, but I really do hate feeding my children beef.  There's a lot of guys like me, and there's plenty like you.

I do, however, totally agree with both of you... "Talk about an enforcement nightmare!"  I can't say I would have answered that one either.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/05 14:50:48 (permalink)
    I'm not saying that you shouldnt be able to fill your buck tag legally. If its legal, thats fine. Wanting to kill spikes, forkhorns etc... is different. The "way it was" mentallity is what I was referring to in my statement.

I truly enjoy venison, and am able to eat it much of the year as well. As a matter of fact, I am getting ready to make "Emeril's venison chilli" tonight. Its the best recipe for venison that I have ever tried. Anyway, I guess my point is, we're probably not all that different, but from my perspective, I know I cant eat the horns, but I really enjoy chasing after them. I dont know a deer hunter that doesnt.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/05 15:00:22 (permalink)
    "Emeril's venison chilli"

please share the recipe.

As for not enjoying chasing the big bucks, I'm almost there.  With my back, it's getting harder and harder to stay in one place for very long, and still-hunting with a crossbow is just as hard.  I can't frikin' wait for the children to be old enough to put one down.  (then drag, and cut, and grind, and...)

They want to.  I want them to, and **** it!  That's the way it'll be.  Of, course, that is until they get their driver's license or cell phones.  Then again, there's no law that says teenagers HAVE to have those things.  Yet.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/05 15:27:33 (permalink)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22137,00.html

Here's the recipe. I stray from it somewhat by not using pork.

Enjoy!

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/06 13:08:20 (permalink)
    Awesome buck! As for the antler restrictions they suck . They are producing poor genetics in my area . All the hunters which are way too efficient at shooting the 2 & 1/2 year olds with good genetics while they cannot wax the 4-6 points that are breeding the poor genetics into the does . The 3 1/2 year olds are mostly basket racks . I miss the old way ; atleast some of the scrubs got whacked ; now they get to breed. I always saw / shot big antlered buck prior to this AR bs. The big bucks were always around before as they were the nocturnal ones that you only saw in the rut; once a year. Get some kids involved this season & fix our genetics!!!! PLEASE 
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/06 22:44:47 (permalink)
    Don't want to disillusion you,but I have shot some very nice bucks & only 2 small ones.I shot mostly 8pts & also 2 12pts. all on public land & all before A R. My point is I didn't need anyone to tell me to let the little ones pass,I did it on my own.I don't need some horn hunter to approve of what I do as long as it is legal. If your buds are hunting on private land why can't they stop others from shooting small deer? If you truly want to be selective, I suggest that your gang all hold off shooting anything under a 12pt.,just think how much more enjoyment & extra time in the woods you will have. with this AR plan we have, it shouldn't take much longer should it? BTW that was a nice buck.   sam
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/07 11:10:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

Awesome buck! As for the antler restrictions they suck . They are producing poor genetics in my area . All the hunters which are way too efficient at shooting the 2 & 1/2 year olds with good genetics while they cannot wax the 4-6 points that are breeding the poor genetics into the does . The 3 1/2 year olds are mostly basket racks . I miss the old way ; atleast some of the scrubs got whacked ; now they get to breed. I always saw / shot big antlered buck prior to this AR bs. The big bucks were always around before as they were the nocturnal ones that you only saw in the rut; once a year. Get some kids involved this season & fix our genetics!!!! PLEASE 

There are so many holes in your argument, I don't know where to begin.  But, I am willing to bet that most of those basket racks you are seeing are most likely 1.5 yr olds.  Probably producing better racks with better food due to HR and less competition overall.  Not many bucks in PA would sport a basket rack at 3.5 yrs of age.  I'd love to see those teeth to age them along with the antlers.  We have great genetics in this state.  Enough deer survive the seasons that we won't be able to "shoot" the genetics out of our herd.  Besides, the does carry half the genes, remember.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: my cousins Warren Co. 10 point 2007/11/07 13:11:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

There are so many holes in your argument, I don't know where to begin.  But, I am willing to bet that most of those basket racks you are seeing are most likely 1.5 yr olds.  Probably producing better racks with better food due to HR and less competition overall.  Not many bucks in PA would sport a basket rack at 3.5 yrs of age.  I'd love to see those teeth to age them along with the antlers.  We have great genetics in this state.  Enough deer survive the seasons that we won't be able to "shoot" the genetics out of our herd.  Besides, the does carry half the genes, remember.

"Not many bucks in PA would sport a basket rack at 3.5 yrs of age"

Totally agree.

The buck/doe ratio has a lot more to do with genetics than anything else. Think about it this way, if there is a deer herd with...lets say, 16 does for every one buck. There is very little competition to breed. The "scrubs" get to breed nearly as often as the mature deer and nearly all the bucks pass on their genetics. With a closer buck/doe ratio lets say one buck for every 3 does, there is a lot more competition to breed and the "scrubs" and immature bucks do not get to pass on thier genetics as often. Mature deer will outcompete them for a doe in estrous and better genetics get passed on. 

Make sense?
    Jump to: