Sunday Hunting

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hunt-n-fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/11/01 21:56:26 (permalink)

Here's the game commission facts about he last 10 years or so. 

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=511&q=159015

There's a definite decline in the number of hunters over the years.  There's a trend.  It'll be interesting to see what the next 3-4 years have for numbers.

I still think Sunday hunting would be a good thing for this state.  It's a matter if you want to go to the woods or not that day.  It's not uncommon to have 2 -3 days consecutively that are unhuntable due to poor conditions.  Just like Saturdays or weekday holidays, not everyone runs to the woods. 

If you're a landowner and do not want Sunday hunting, don't hunt and/or tell persons you allow that you don't want them to hunt.  If your land isn't posted, then what's the difference if they come onto it on a Monday thru Saturday w/o you knowing? 

I can't see anymore harm to the deer herd or other animals since the game commission decided to decimate the herd.  If the deer are there or not, usually 'not' in most cases, nothing  like they used to be, what's the difference if hunting is allowed on Sunday?  Let's face it, environmental conditions are perfect during the entire hunting season, to hot, to windy, to cold, to wet or in combination.

I firmly believe  that the reason for not allowing is far more political then sound management.  Anybody has a right to agree or disagree, so if it was allowed either stay home or go to the woods.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/11/02 07:02:33 (permalink)
   You know if we had the number of hunters afield (which is what the whole argument is based on) we did 30 years ago when I was a kid then this would hold true. The game populations (all of them) could not sustain that kind of pressure that adding Sunday would do. But the hunters just aren't there. I've been in the woods most of archery season and haven't seen a small game hunter or turkey hunter yet.
  And as far as the PGC killing all the deer. That's kind of silly. They don't kill deer, hunters do, they just allocate permission slips. Who says you have to buy and fill every tag you can legally get.
   Some fellas not all mind you get 3 tags and fill them every year and then pi$$ and moan about no deer. Have a friend that way him his 2 sons and 1 daughter. That's 12 deer a year they take. They live in town own know land and would fight tooth and nail for their tags those are their deer..They need those deer to feed their family...my ****..No I don't hunt with them..Same family that lines up on the creek for the fist day of trout so the can get their daily government allocation of stockies...They could care less about the experience of the trip. It's all about the filling of the tag or limit....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/11/02 11:33:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: hunt-n-fish

There's a definite decline in the number of hunters over the years.  There's a trend.  It'll be interesting to see what the next 3-4 years have for numbers.

I still think Sunday hunting would be a good thing for this state.  It's a matter if you want to go to the woods or not that day.  It's not uncommon to have 2 -3 days consecutively that are unhuntable due to poor conditions.  Just like Saturdays or weekday holidays, not everyone runs to the woods. 

If you're a landowner and do not want Sunday hunting, don't hunt and/or tell persons you allow that you don't want them to hunt.  If your land isn't posted, then what's the difference if they come onto it on a Monday thru Saturday w/o you knowing? 

I can't see anymore harm to the deer herd or other animals since the game commission decided to decimate the herd.  If the deer are there or not, usually 'not' in most cases, nothing  like they used to be, what's the difference if hunting is allowed on Sunday?  Let's face it, environmental conditions are perfect during the entire hunting season, to hot, to windy, to cold, to wet or in combination.

I firmly believe  that the reason for not allowing is far more political then sound management.  Anybody has a right to agree or disagree, so if it was allowed either stay home or go to the woods.

So.....you consider the herd "decimated", but you want to add another day with lots of hunters?

Isn't that a little contradictory?
hunt-n-fish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Sunday Hunting 2007/11/02 20:14:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

ORIGINAL: hunt-n-fish

So.....you consider the herd "decimated", but you want to add another day with lots of hunters?

Isn't that a little contradictory?

Probably a wrong choice of words, but lets face it, the numbers are down in alot of areas and in others, they're just holding there own.  Truthfully, I'd much rather see the deer hunting regs return back to 10-15 years ago. 

I would love to see a reduction in antlerless tags handed out each season. It almost seems like the commission way of getting more money since license fees aren't allowed to be increased.  It is clearly the only license which is holding it's own, not decreasing in numbers.  As you can see over the last 9 years, PA. has lost between 13 to 19% of the hunters.  Some are through attrition and while others may have lost interest.  
Juniors are down nearly 50% as well. Nobody can blame it all extra curicular activites, malls, etc. 

Reading alot of other posts, many of the true PA. trophy hunters have had adequete success with bigger buck before AR went into effect.  This is merely a hunters choice.  Pa. was always a deer state and the herd is clearly down and is 'decimated' compared from what it used to be.  It's to late now, but I wold have been in favor of having a trial WMU with AR to judge the success of trophies and overall hunter success.

Using the word decimated again, since the herd is already this low and the game commission has many times stated that they want it lower, give hunters a chance or a bounus day(s) to at least try to get their deer.  For the many guys who can hunt only 1 day aweek, I feel for you.  Obviously, many others are fortunate to be able to hunt multiple days.  So to finish this thread, if people think by adding an additional day to say hunt deer will increase the kill, and we must give something up to amke others feel good for the trade, it would be appropriate to lower the numbers of bounus tags.  Let's face it, how many button bucks are taken each archery through muzzleloading season.  This translates into alot of AR legal bucks taken out of the equation for hunters.
post edited by hunt-n-fish - 2007/11/02 20:16:35
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: