S.R. area creeks

Author
fly1on
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/22 15:06:13 (permalink)

S.R. area creeks

Does anyone have any good info/tips on fishing the creeks in the salmon river area. I have been fishing the Salmon river for three years now and have explored it well top to bottom. I am very confident anywhere on the river, but I also take time each year to check out the creeks...grindstone/sterling/the sandys etc. I have never timed it right as I have never seen any runs of steelhead in those creeks when I'm there. I usually go during the fall (mid Oct to early November) am I just too early in general?
thanks for any help.

also is there any way to differentiate between the steelhead strains? My last trip(Oct 12-15) I managed to land my biggest ever, 18 lb steelhead, but not a clue if it was a chambers creek, skamania or what?

10 Replies Related Threads

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/10/22 23:27:02 (permalink)
    fly1on,

Skam's that are stocked have a clipped, sometimes almost missing, pectoral fin. Usually very light pinkish gill plate, do get darker as the season progresses.

Area creeks,?.....   shhhhhhhhh......

OldSalt
    fly1on
    New Angler
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/10/23 09:27:16 (permalink)
    Hey OldSalt, thanks for the info on the steelys. I guess the two I landed this fall (my first) were Washington's as they had good fins. As for the creeks, I guess your right...discovery is half the fun!
    I'm trying to get over there again this November, as my new goal in life is a 12 lb+ brown!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/09 20:52:44 (permalink)
    i may like to sneak an overnighter two day trip this weekend, any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I know there has been little rain or not enough but hoping for good stream flow be it creeks or SR . heard maxwell creek is running very low so far this season. but i never fished maxwell and really rather fish SR and hopefully have good forecast later in the weekend
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/10 18:25:39 (permalink)
    rain dependent. Fish them after it rains and the water is receding. 
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/11 20:56:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fly1on

Does anyone have any good info/tips on fishing the creeks in the salmon river area. I have been fishing the Salmon river for three years now and have explored it well top to bottom. I am very confident anywhere on the river, but I also take time each year to check out the creeks...grindstone/sterling/the sandys etc. I have never timed it right as I have never seen any runs of steelhead in those creeks when I'm there. I usually go during the fall (mid Oct to early November) am I just too early in general?
    thanks for any help.

also is there any way to differentiate between the steelhead strains? My last trip(Oct 12-15) I managed to land my biggest ever, 18 lb steelhead, but not a clue if it was a chambers creek, skamania or what?

Chambers Creek steelhead ( winter steelhead )  will have an adipose clip and left vent clip , or a left vent fin clip or just an adipose fin clip depending on year class fo which the hatchery clipped them.Skamania ( summer steelhead ) will have an adipose and left pec fin clip.All steelhead that are stocked by the SR hatchery will have those clips.Any surplus steelhead stocked will have all their fins , tough to say if they're wild or not.

Congrats on your big steelhead..

As far as your timing , sounds about right for steel.But like someone else mentioned they are rain dependent.IF the salmon are up in the creeks then the steel won't be far behind.As far as keeping the creeks you mentioned a hush hush.. They are not a secret they are well known, just depends if you can find some willing fish between the goons you may come across.They are low and clear right now and are holding fish.If you go ahead and fish those creeks be prepared for some company, as most are " looking for easy pickings " ..Good luck
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/12 09:02:00 (permalink)
    Take a trip to Oswego,float fish and have fun.Fished there last week had a ball.Brown's,steelhead,domestic rainbow's,and a few fresh king's.It,s larger than the Salmon but different fishing.
    fly1on
    New Angler
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/14 12:53:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips Beedhed/Mxdad66,
    I'm getting the idea that its a hide and seek game. conditions always change, fish are sliding up and slipping out. When you you do find them and the whole world hasnt heard yet its pure heaven.

I have had great luck in S.R, *********** creek, and ***** *****. I hear ******** is a good creek to watch?

Now that deer season is done for me I am headed up again Nov 23-25. Big browns are the goal, but if I cant find them I'll go for steelies in the Salmon river.

Just bought a new 10' 7 wt cant wait to feel it bend.
    tight lines!
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/11/15 19:39:56
    johnnyb
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/14 13:40:40 (permalink)
    if its Big Browns your after look into Alcott NY 19m creek....its a little further to drive but well worth the effort, lots of browns and big ones, occasional steel...very nice.
    fly1on
    New Angler
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/15 12:10:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip jrb327,
    I will check that out for sure. Let you all know what I get into when I return

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: S.R. area creeks 2007/11/15 16:32:27 (permalink)
    Just got back last night from two exceptional warm SR days with my partner. On tues. early hit Ellis cove with sacks and did nothing ,followed down the short trail trestle missed a few and seen a regular on the other hooking up a few using his centerpin and float.  later on a fast try no go at blackhole and finished zero at sportsmans pool.  stayed at the red and ate burger king lol wow! tied some blue and first light wed. we hit the tres this time on the long trail side with the better drift. That pro from penn. came down shortly after and I learned enough from him with the float and technic with a spread of progressive split shot to get the drift needed. Hooked and landed two steelie first was a deformed one looked like a boomerang lol second one  was nice 8-9 lber that guy caught must of hooked 6 or so landing 4 on light 5lb tippet, i was using my 8 flouro lol umm what else..left thier to ellis again (passed the crowded lot) stopped at the iron bridge ramp for a cast  and took a break than it was back to the empty lot at sportman again. It was dead down their sep for one juvenille steelie. stopped at the fisrt bridge road think rt2 bridge? under that just a few yards below the bridge I landed a nice steelie about 10lbs. using the same float technic and blue sack in a rather fast drift using spining gear. About four fish hit in that spot afterwards but no hookups..actually twice the steelies went for the float as they would hit a plug ! pretty interesting end of fishing trip. That is my report. tackle guy said it was slow spotty and oswego was the place to fish.
    Jump to: