Pheasant?

Author
raccoon bandit
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/20 19:45:06 (permalink)

Pheasant?

I was not going to go out for pheasants on the opener this year, tired of the crowds, etc. But of course once it got here I could not resist. I went by myself to a local SGL and had my two birds in short order. It always seemed that in the past the dog had some trouble making the transition from ducks and woodcock to pheasants. I did not blame the dog, because I never did any transition work. It looked as though the trouble was finishing a running pheasant instead of a sitting woodcock, or just retrieving. Today however he seemed to click right away. Fun morning, I missed the first two birds so the dog did get a little work. Anyone else brave the crowds?
post edited by raccoon bandit - 2007/10/20 19:46:35

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong

29 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/20 20:24:51 (permalink)
    I braved the crowds for a few hours this morning too.  Quite a disappointment on the SGL's I was hunting.  Must have been 10 guys working this field and 1 bird was flushed and missed.

Talked to another guy who said the PGC stocked more birds for the youth hunt than the regular season on this particular SGL.
    raccoon bandit
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/20 20:51:06 (permalink)
    I called the regional office about this a couple of years ago. I was told that the LMO's decide to restock or not and how much, based on youth harvest and bird flushes after the youth season. After that I conversation I avoided SGLs that are part of the youth season for my opening weekend. This year I happened to be duck hunting at mt favorite SGL when the pheasant truck showed up. This SGL is part of the youth hunt, but now I knew it was restocked, that was all it took....

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/20 23:38:50 (permalink)
      Small game? Wow it has changed over the years around here. I was huntin with one of my sons today for the Jr. doe hunt & I was showin him some prime spots that held great rabbit & ringnecks in the past. He told me it came in today.

I said you must be kiddin ? Nope it's in dad. Wow, not one hunter seen all morn. or eve.. Not one bark to be heard from a Beagle, not one car or truck seen drive past with dog boxes in the bed, no whistles too be heard,
    no grandpaps, dads, uncles, friends or jr. hunters to be seen

It wasn't that long ago when it was a great day around hear, like a holiday, but no longer.

Oh well I gotta get back to the butcher block now. Don't forget coon & fox trappin comes in, in a few hrs.

Crappy

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/20 23:48:07 (permalink)
      Oh yeah,

not one bunny seen or one****heard. Did see a grouse cross the rd. on the way to check out the lake.
      Lots of fox around also.
    AnimalCannibal1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/21 11:19:17 (permalink)
    i hunted my local hotspots all day with no luck. the wind was just killin' us. very little game to be seen. next weekend looks good
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/21 13:14:39 (permalink)
    the wind was terrible we saw about 5 rabbits and 1 pheasant between the 3 of us.... last year we had 17 rabbit flushes and 6 pheasant flushes in one day.... without a dog (not pulling your leg i couldnt believe it eaither) private farms work wonders
    surffishn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/21 19:33:50 (permalink)
    Jumping 17 rabbits in one day I can believe.But 17 flying rabbits? I'd have to see that!!! 
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/21 23:46:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: crappiefisher

Small game? Wow it has changed over the years around here. I was huntin with one of my sons today for the Jr. doe hunt & I was showin him some prime spots that held great rabbit & ringnecks in the past. He told me it came in today.

I said you must be kiddin ? Nope it's in dad. Wow, not one hunter seen all morn. or eve.. Not one bark to be heard from a Beagle, not one car or truck seen drive past with dog boxes in the bed, no whistles too be heard,
    no grandpaps, dads, uncles, friends or jr. hunters to be seen

It wasn't that long ago when it was a great day around hear, like a holiday, but no longer.

Oh well I gotta get back to the butcher block now. Don't forget coon & fox trappin comes in, in a few hrs.

Crappy

I know what you mean.  I didn't even know small game started until I read this post.  I was in a stand archery hunting most of saturday afternoon and evening, and I didn't see another hunter the entire time.  Things used to be a lot different when I was young.  Back then, archery hunting would have been a waste of time because there would have been so many people in the woods.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/22 10:31:52 (permalink)
    I went, with the corn as abundant and as high as it is, finding birds was hard.
    raccoon bandit
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/22 22:45:30 (permalink)
    One today, the dog flushed a woodcock right away which I was not ready for. Then the dog hunted hard for several hours. He was busy enough that it was hard to tell if he was birdy or just hunting. Didn't go home empty handed any way, the hens taste just like roosters....
    post edited by raccoon bandit - 2007/10/22 22:46:00

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/23 19:18:49 (permalink)

A Co-worker and I hunted public ground on Saturday.  Darty pointed 10 pheasants an 1 woodcock from 8 AM until 11 AM. Here is one of them. 

The high winds, heavy cover, and heavy pressure had the birds nervous and some ran out from under the point even with the dog locking up probably 10 yards or more away.  We also managed to pull every dumb trick in the book.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    countryfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/25 21:21:02 (permalink)
    im only 20, and i absolutely love small game!  my college friends and i go small game hunting quite a bit, so delicious.  kind of feel wierd walking into my apartment across from campus with a cased shotgun.  its even funnier watching people's faces as we clean squirrels and rabbits in the parking lot.  one black dude was walkin by and almost $#it a brick when i told him i was going to EAT these critters! haha poor fellow
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/26 09:04:29 (permalink)
    Great pix!

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/26 16:26:55 (permalink)
    I hit toftrees yesterday thinking maybe it would be better then the first day. It was LOADED with guys and a guy practically shot me in the face. A bb HIT MY EAR! I wont be back, i dont care if you can walk on the backs of them, ill stay at the preserve where the people have some common sense.
    raccoon bandit
    Avid Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/26 18:15:12 (permalink)
    I am surprised how many people follow the trucks. If they are that greedy then I expect they might not be safe to hunt around. I like some birds to hunt just like anyone else, but I will not hang out at the game farm and then follow trucks. If I had to hunt weekends and evenings only I would consider staying away from stocked birds altogether. I did get a couple more Thursday morning, without a crowd problem.

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/26 19:57:14 (permalink)
    Darty pointed 6 yesterday evening in about 2 hours.

Duncsdad

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/29 19:38:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I hit toftrees yesterday thinking maybe it would be better then the first day. It was LOADED with guys and a guy practically shot me in the face. A bb HIT MY EAR! I wont be back, i dont care if you can walk on the backs of them, ill stay at the preserve where the people have some common sense.

Jeremy,

After spending time at the club, you don't want to ever go back to hunting public ground for a number of reasons, not the least of which is safety.

On the first day we were hunting at Raystown.  No matter where we went, there were groups cutting in front or actually hunting toward us.  There were a couple of groups that would purposely stand out in front about 100 yards and wait for you to flush pheasants toward them.

We actually had a group come from behind us, pull along side, and then start to pass us.  When I told them that the dog was on point, there response was -- "So" and they cut right in front of us, pushing the pheasant with them.

I am glad to see you weren't seriously hurt.  It goes to show just why safety glasses are always a good idea.

Duncsdad

Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/10/31 22:19:47 (permalink)
    I was talking to a guy that I met on the SGL I hunted last Saturday and we came to the conclusion that they need to stock in the middle of the night or make a buffer time to let the birds(and more importantly the idiots) calm down.  He said it was a blood bath last Friday with guys just standing out in the field while they were dropping birds.  And then I get out to see if I can just find one so the dog can have some fun and there isn't squat.  God, I wish I lived in Warren Co. so that I could just hunt grouse.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/01 10:35:59 (permalink)
    Man I hear ya! The first day at Golden Run , Shenango lake, was a zoo. Got there at first light and guys lined up blasting away at sillouttes in the sky. You could see flames out there barrels.

scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/01 12:13:43 (permalink)
    JLH,
    You ever try out by the fish lab, there is Penn state land out there and I never saw many people out there when I went to school.  They stock that pretty good as well.
    Toad
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/01 12:48:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trap Jaw

I was talking to a guy that I met on the SGL I hunted last Saturday and we came to the conclusion that they need to stock in the middle of the night or make a buffer time to let the birds(and more importantly the idiots) calm down.  He said it was a blood bath last Friday with guys just standing out in the field while they were dropping birds.  And then I get out to see if I can just find one so the dog can have some fun and there isn't squat.  God, I wish I lived in Warren Co. so that I could just hunt grouse.

I couldn't agree more.  Me and one of my buddies have been saying the same thing.  Plus if they see a parking lot full of guys keep going or how about throwing a crate out here and there rather than six in one spot.
    We enjoy it when after hunting for a few hours and you are on your way back to the truck and you call the guys out that are standing in the parking lot and ask them when they are actually going to start hunting they just give you the dumb confussed look and say What do you mean. 

I like to just get the dogs out and run them as well.  Last Sat morning was pretty good since the rain and the wind kept most people in doors. 
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/01 19:21:56 (permalink)
    crappy that is why no bunnies or pheasants if you seen alot of fox
    post edited by fishenfool46 - 2007/11/01 19:22:14
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/01 19:25:45 (permalink)
    mika you from around shenango area prospect area here.
    post edited by fishenfool46 - 2007/11/01 19:26:04
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/06 19:20:29 (permalink)
    Darty pointed 1 pheasant at Raystown in 3 hours last Thursday and 0 pheasants at Canoe Creek in 2 hours on Saturday.  In fact, Saturday, he didn't even get birdy enough to wag his tail.  This is the second trip to Canoe creek that produced zero points.  As little as 3 years ago, a dozen points in 3-4 hours was not uncommon.  The only shots I heard Saturday were from the preserve near Gearhart's.

I actually think the sub-par pheasant hunting is on purpose, it will either force the pheasant stamp into being or drive the PGC out of the pheasant stocking business.  If the stamp passes, funding is secure.  If it doesn't, those that have time, effort, and money invested in dogs will go to preserves and give up on the stocked birds.  As that interest drops, so will the program and its associated costs.

Duncsdad

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/07 03:12:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishenfool46

crappy that is why no bunnies or pheasants if you seen alot of fox

Fishenfool,

there have always been alot of fox in this area, atleast for the past 23. Still some good cottontail around but not near the habitat for 'em. the farm equip. is just too good at the harvest anymore. Easy pickens for the birds of prey & cuttings when the chicks can't get out of the way don't help. The old equip. left the stalks waist high & only harvested about 75% of the crop.

I haven't had any huntin dogs for the past 5 yrs., so just about gave it up. If I would get a dog or 2 I would def. raise 75-100 ringnecks for the area. A wet snow & the birds get a ice clump under their butt hole & can't fly, easy pickens for the fox.

The Pheasant Chick & Egg Program is a good one from the PGC.
    (LIP) Landowner incentive Program, no longer published????
     Is it still out there? Would of been nice to see it spread out by now.

Crappy
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/13 19:14:34 (permalink)
    Darty pointed 4 pheasants in 1.5 hours at Raystown on Friday.  The weather was terrible.  It rained, it snowed, it blew, the cover was soaked, the snow on the ground clumped under your boots, the snow turned to ice on your pants, and there was no way to stay dry no matter what you had on.

Duncsdad

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/14 10:22:15 (permalink)
    Mika is getting better at flushing . She jumped two on Monday. I have to watch her, she gets real prancy when she smells one. Great fun.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/14 21:30:40 (permalink)
    Mika -

I have a lab too, that I trained exclusively for waterfowl retrieving.  Never gave much thought to teaching him to roam & flush until last week.  On a whim, visited a recently stocked gamelands & put up 4 pheasants.  He flushed one.  I got the other 3 up.  Hank didn't really seem to know what to do.  He just stays close to me & doesn't seem to like the thick stuff.  He's great on retrieving ducks, geese & doves though. 

Any tips on making the transition from duck retriever to pheasant flusher?  He's almost 2 now.  For you & Mika was it just a matter of getting her into a place with pheasants or did you do some specific work with her?  Any help would be appreciated.  Gonna get some pheasant scent & canvas bumpers this weekend for starters.  See where it goes from there.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Pheasant? 2007/11/15 19:11:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

Mika is getting better at flushing . She jumped two on Monday. I have to watch her, she gets real prancy when she smells one. Great fun.

It sounds like you are well on your way.  It amazes me how many people do not pay attention to their dog's body language.  They are communicating with their tail, their eyes, their movements and telling you everything you need to know.

It is great to see that you and Mika are speaking the same bird language.

Duncsdad

Jump to: