Mohawk River

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/18 20:49:37 (permalink)

Mohawk River

Rumor has it that they are going to close the locks 2 weeks early this year.  Can anyone confirm this?  Those Walleyes must be gettin hungry about now.

3 Replies Related Threads

MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Mohawk River 2007/10/18 21:30:12 (permalink)
    Yep you heard right. They blame it on low water but poor water management is the real culprit. Its been a lot drier for a lot longer than this past summer.
    Millions of gallons of water are passed every time a boat goes through the system. It seems that during a mild drought the lock system would regulate itself and limit traffic BEFORE its too late. Oh yeah...and thanks for draining Hinckley reservoir boys. The guys that regulate the reservoir warned the canal brass but the canal corporation ignored  their request to slow the drainage of Hinckley. So what ended up happening was a first ever closure of the West Canada. and an early end to the Mohawk boating season.  Good job boys...Good job.

Here are the men to be held responsible

And heres the link to the canal CORPORATION site.

http://www.nyscanals.gov/news/pressrel/2007/2007-10-08-proj-date.html
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Mohawk River 2007/10/19 20:14:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Dan.  Are the Walleyes turning on yet?  I just ordered a bunch more crank baits to target them.  Not sure when I'll be able to get some fishing in though.  Am comitted through next week.
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Mohawk River 2007/10/20 10:34:13 (permalink)
    EC, I wish I could give you a better report about the walleyes but I haven't been fishing in the River for a couple weeks now. The  last time I went I ended up catching one little guy. I hope to get out this afternoon on the canoe and see whats doing. There are a lot of people showing up at the fast side of lock12 just before dark. Thats a pretty good indicator of walleye activity.  Good luck to you whenever you get out.
    Jump to: