Move'n to Indiana,pa

Author
16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/16 23:26:03 (permalink)

Move'n to Indiana,pa

I'm moving to Indiana,pa for work in the begining of July and was wondering if anyone could send me in a direction or have any info on places/general area to fish and what for.... thanks

6 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Move'n to Indiana,pa 2010/06/17 00:39:37 (permalink)
    Depends on area you are in and how far you want to travel...

Yellowcreek State park...East of Indiana on 422 about 10 miles or so...  bass, panfish, catfish, pike, musky, walleye (though I haven't had success with musky or walleye there). A couple of launches and a 20hp limit. Busy as all get out on weekends and evenings during summer. (public swimming area and boyscout camp)

Keystone Power Dam... go west of Indiana on 422 till 1st red light at Elderton, turn right and follow 210N about 4 miles to lake on left, a few different access points. Same fish as Yellowcreek, gets hit VERY hard by the Amish and is a 10hp limit lake

Mahoning Creek Lake... 30 mins or so NW of Indiana near Dayton.... 2 boat access points, limited shore fishing near boat launches... again, same species as above... walleye and Musky can be picky but are there, also carp and the channel cats here get some real size... I've caught 32" channels out of water here. It is a Corp of Engineers impoundment, absolutely beautiful scenery and from launch to launch is about 7 miles of 'small river' type fishing. 10hp limit. Upper launch (Milton Loop) used heavily by Amish in summer.

Blue Spruce... North of Indiana about 15mins. 10 acre mini lake with nice picnic grounds. Only fished it once with very little luck. Reportedly has cats, bass and panfish. Is more aimed at family recreation and is very busy when weather nice. I don't think they allow boating.

Hemlock Lake- North of Indiana approx 45 mins, on road from Glen Campbell to Rossiter. Approx 70 acre lake, 2 boat launches, electric only. Decent shore access with a couple of nice cement walled areas near launches for shore fishing and picnic tables. Used to be great for catfish, bass, pike and panfish but Amish moved into area about 4 yrs ago and have been hitting it VERY hard so our catch rate there dropped into the basement. I haven't even been there this year but it is a very pretty little lake and would be worth a try.

Too many creeks to even begin mentioning... and you have some out of county lakes close at the state parks near Altoona also...
    Good luck!
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Move'n to Indiana,pa 2010/06/17 01:25:55 (permalink)
    thank you much for the info
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Move'n to Indiana,pa 2010/06/17 08:18:09 (permalink)
    DON'T DO IT!! Once you leave Erie, which is a fisherman's paradise, you will spend the rest of your life trying to get back there. I know, I left there in 1993 and have been counting the days(8 years and 5 months) til I can retire and go back for good.  If I didn't live 4 hours away I would be back almost every weekend.
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Move'n to Indiana,pa 2010/06/17 09:30:19 (permalink)
    oh i know man..... got no choice tho.... thinkn the worst case scenario is stayn there for a year till bids open on a position back here in erie and then i'm back up here most likely.... but then again who knows i might enjoy it down there and want to stay...
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Move'n to Indiana,pa 2010/06/17 10:36:28 (permalink)

listening to noplacelikehome is not a good idea no matter what the issue is.  indiana is cool, you'll like it.
    Bigpikeguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Move'n to Indiana,pa 2010/06/18 13:30:56 (permalink)
    I hear ya there! Im not from there but its like i get spoiled when i go up there. Im from the altoona johstown area and pulling my baot it takes me about 4 hours to get there as well. i try to make it up there 4 to 5 times a year. Going up to the PI Bay next weeken, the 25th to the 27th. I cant wait. Was just up there over the holiday weekend and had a blast with the smallmouth! got well over 220 in 2 1/2 days!
    Jump to: