D-Bug Stuff

Author
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/17 12:02:29 (permalink)

D-Bug Stuff

Looking for some help, opinons and maybe some sound useful information on the most appropriate bug lotion or spray to use for mosquitos that will not put every deer into the next county. I've presently been using a product called "No Stinkin Bugs" but I wonder if it has a negative factor toward seeing deer being I haven't see a deer in 10 hours in the woods.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat

4 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: D-Bug Stuff 2007/10/18 07:54:11 (permalink)
    It possibly could have a bad effect. I do carry it myself but the bugs havent been on me this year :::knocks on wood::: . How high are you going in the tree. I cant seem to be any lower then 20 without being busted. I also really make sure the tree I get in has good front cover and good back cover.

Ive seen deer every time out this year. I havent hunted the same stand twice yet. My favorite, I hunted it the first day, I wont be back until the rut. I really know these deer's patterns where I hunt though. Id say its a hundred acres total but over the past 5 years, Ive got them down like clockwork. One thing Ive also found is that usually a good morning stand is not a good evening stand.

In all honesty though, 10 hours since the start of archery season isnt much. Plus, this is the time considered to be the worst for activity.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/10/18 07:55:14
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    RE: D-Bug Stuff 2007/10/18 12:07:41 (permalink)
    The time has been split up over several days and I added 2 hours to that last night. If I would have returned to the stand I hunted the previos day I most likely would have gotten a nice shot at an eight point I've been watching. From where I was last night I watched this buck come across 300 yards of open field and walk within 15 yards of my previous days stand. I guess I'll just bide my time and be patient.

As far as the bug-stuff I used a very small amout of it(No Stinkin Bugs) last night and had good results. The critters would buzz me but not land and bite. I've just got to restrain myself from trying to swat them.

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: D-Bug Stuff 2007/10/18 14:58:05 (permalink)
    I've never used any bug repellants while hunting (except spring gobbler season). I've always been afraid that deer would be able to smell it.

I wear a mesh face mask, and always wear gloves. This seems to help, although I will say, there never seems to be many mosquitos where I hunt.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    RE: D-Bug Stuff 2007/10/18 15:37:32 (permalink)
    I hunt a swampy area and a farm that is littered with old tires.....many mosquitoes to contend with. Sure wish we'd get a good freeze.

Author..... Wally Cat
    Jump to: