Wiggle Dubbing

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/30 08:22:01 (permalink)

Wiggle Dubbing

Don't know if anyone has used this dubbing material - kind of hard to get used to. You have to use a dubbing loop or split the thread and spin it to lock the fine rubber "legs" in place. Then when you wrap it around the shank of the hook - I found it helps to brush the material towards the rear with each wrap which helps to avoid trapping loops of the rubber. Anyway - it dies give some great movement in the water. So anyway here's a tute on how I use it. Wondering if anyone else has used it before. Had some luck with it in Carlilse on Friday.

Material:

1. Wrap a solid base of thread to the rear of the hook shank.

2. Create the body of your choice. Here I used fine gold wire and Liquid Lace filled with baby oil. Wrapped the lace forward - then ribbed with the wire.

3. Make a dubbing loop and between the thread loop - place small pieces of the dubbing material, trying to spread out the rubber evenly. Then spin the loop tightly.

4. Wrap the loop around the hook shank. With each wrap brush the material towards the rear using a toothbrush, preferably not the one your wife is going to use when she wakes up.

Whip finish off. If there is any rubber material trapped into a loop - use your scissors to "pluck" it out.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

5 Replies Related Threads

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Wiggle Dubbing 2010/05/30 08:29:17 (permalink)
    steel norm 289 has used it before and said he liked it after you used it what did you think?

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Wiggle Dubbing 2010/05/30 08:51:01 (permalink)
    I kind of like the movement it gives. I tied some nymphs with it also and again - kind of gives the nymph that extra life like action. Durability is pretty good too. 

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Wiggle Dubbing 2010/05/30 09:20:23 (permalink)
    That just looks too purty to fish!

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Wiggle Dubbing 2010/05/30 22:17:59 (permalink)
    Wiggle Dubbing...That just sounds dirty IMO...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Wiggle Dubbing 2010/05/31 00:45:01 (permalink)
    Steely, try using it for bugger bodies. Put it in your dubbing twister and make a yarn with it. Gotta pick the rubber legs out after wrapping the hackle. It's good stuff, I use it alot. Very effective on stonefly nymphs. I have experimented alot with it. Using it for thoraxs on things such as hare's ears and pheasant tails, etc. By the way nice fly!

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    Jump to: