The TUG is the DRUG

Author
King Davy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/16 14:12:08 (permalink)

The TUG is the DRUG

Fish numbers starting to build in the Western LO tribs...still low water conditions. Had some fun on the Oak last weekend. Still wasn't to dense with anglers yet...even for a Sat. Paid Roy his parking fee....

Walked up to the Sycamore....only one other guy on the west side....got to the head of the pool...and started to high stick some of the faster water just above the pool..plenty of fish moving through...water level was decent...(a little warm still)....couldn't find a player there...I have to say...i didn't come across a single angler who was intending to lift/snag fish...although the Archer Pool was elbow to elbow...not sure how they were rolling.

Walked up stream and thanks to Roy and Orleans Co....can amble up the east side.....found an area that had nobody around....looked down stream and saw a pod of fish at rest.....decided to give them a swing..... Low clear water...went with a sparsely tied streamer....and five casts in saw a flash...and fish on.....got the fish to the bank...and just before i could grab his handle....he flipped off....fish about 15 pounds

Few Minutes later...on a heavy tied leach pattern...one of my favorites for the Genny steel olive and brown...I get a solid grab...and I have a 20 pound salmon shaking his head....at me...he darts across the pool...and rolls out of the hook set.

Hair standing on the back of my neck....I'm still all alone in this spot...guys walking by ...but nobody jumping in on these fish...to my elation and surprise.....I make a pass down stream same pattern.....fly is at the Dangle...and All hell breaks loose....my arm rockets down stream...almost lose my grip on the rod...and this BEAST rages up to the surface throwing silver foam everywhere...turns head shaking like a sapling in a hurricane...and heads down stream....Fish had the fly in the roof of his yap...and I've always found that hook placement to give the fish better leverage...even with good side pressure to turn him. Had a 9wt, 9 footer in my hands.....ended up just above the Sycamore hole where I had started the day.....lead the fish to the beach....biggest king I've landed in awhile....just short of 42 inches...big male...perfect condition...just turining from silver to pewter.

The Tug is the Drug.....just doesn't get any better IMHO...then the take on the swing.

3 Replies Related Threads

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: The TUG is the DRUG 2007/10/18 06:50:38 (permalink)
    Good to hear cant wait to fill the tug.
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: The TUG is the DRUG 2007/10/25 21:08:30 (permalink)
    I KNOW I KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING WHAT A GREAT TIME I HAD TO ON A SMALL TRIB AND YOU KNOW WHICH ONE TO .MAYBE I TALK TO YOU UP THERE BECAUSE THERE WAS ONE GUY FISHING THERE . WHAT A DREAM ON
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: The TUG is the DRUG 2007/10/28 14:41:46 (permalink)
    The tug is in my blood now cant wait until 3rd week of nov ill be there.
    Jump to: