IM6 vs. IM7

Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/15 21:03:21 (permalink)

IM6 vs. IM7

Well, I had to take my 8wt back to Gander Mountain today.  I've been meaning to do it for a while, and I hated to get rid of The Steel Slayer,  but I'd noticed major cracking around the ferrel (2pc rod) and the last time out I popped a snake eyelet out.  They took care of me, and since I had the receipt still (not bad for 2 1/2 years) they gave me full credit for the rod.  I paid $20 more to get the new version of the same rod, only in a 4pc. and in IM7 graphite, not IM6 like the old one.  What's the major differences in them.  The new one is 6" shorter, too.  I could have taken a longer one, but I liked the other Plateau so much, I wanted the same series and will be able to pack this one better in the Jeep.

Has anybody had any problems with a 4 pc steelhead rod?  What trade-offs are there when talking about IM6 vs. IM7? 

3 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: IM6 vs. IM7 2007/10/16 10:33:53 (permalink)
    There is little to no different between 2 and 4 pc rods for most manufacturers in terms of feel or ability of the rod.  It takes a very trained caster to tell the difference in most cases and most of the time it is a difference in taper felt, but that the 4 pc rod has more ferrules or a worse feel, just different.  You should have no problems with a 4 pc rod.

IM6 and IM7 were originally the trade monikers of the prepreg graphite sheet as sold to the blank manufacturers.  There is debate about what IM stands for and no one has a definitive answer.  At first, the IM numbers were used to indicate the 'quality' of a rod.  The higher the number the better the rod was suppossed to be.  It was marketing hype though, since rod performance is a combination of prepreg sheets, scrim, taper, and processing.  Now IM are used in the same way, but with a lot less emphasis by the major manufacturers.  The private label and store brand rods still use it to an extent to sell rods.

Typically when you see IM6 you are talking about graphite scrim with a young's modulus of 36-41 million PSI.  IM7 typically is 41-48 million depending who you ask.  Again, IM doesn't really mean much.  Given the same scrim, taper, and processing an IM7 rod will be lighter for the same stiffness or stiffer for the same weight.  But considering how close they are in properties and the differences in all other considerations the graphite itself will not be the cause of any differences you see.

thanks,
    rick
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: IM6 vs. IM7 2007/10/16 15:14:36 (permalink)
    Well, I got to take it for a spin today, and it worked marvelously.  I'm sure I'll get into situations when we finally do get water where I'll wish it wasn't only 9' long.  It cast well, felt nice, and fought like a champ.  2 landed, and 2 lost, neither the fault of the rod for sure.  It's well suited for close quarter, combat tactics.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: IM6 vs. IM7 2007/11/14 22:25:34 (permalink)
    casts_by_fly, i enjoy reading the technical part of fly fishing, such as your input about im6 and im7. i read quite a lot before i buy or just for the knowledge, most people wont and it's guys like you that they can get info on without searching the books and just asking questions. i applaud you in taking the time to inform the general fishermen. t.t. most of the owners of the fly shops i've visited in the past have and are going to stay buying 4pce. rods. except for maybe a little more weight there is little if any different feel in casting each. technology has come a long way and a multi 4 pce. is the way to go in many respects. if your rod comes apart while casting often don't be affraid to take it back. i had one do so and they took care of it. you'll know if a section is loosening by the feel of an extra wobble. let this be the warning to refit the sections. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: