Author
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/14 12:56:26 (permalink)

River Test report- trout and grayling

Hi All,

Thought I'd give a quickie report on fishing yesterday. As some of you know, I moved over here to england back in July. Fishing is a bit different here. There is some public water, but it is sub par type stuff. A lot of the fishing is coarse fishing (carp, tench, barbel, pike, perch, etc). Pretty much all of the trout fishing is private water where you pay for a beat. Prices vary depending on the time of year. During prime time in May/June when it is early to mid trout season and the hatches are heavy prime beats will go as high as 325 POUNDS if you book through an agent. Considering the exchange rate is 2:1 right now that is over $600 USD for a half or full mile stretch that you usually share with one other angler. Some places have longer stretches (up to a couple miles for 3-4 rods) depending on the popularity of that stretch and how much land is owned/leased. As you move away from prime seasons (May-june is prime, March/April and July/Sep are half-prime) the prices go down. Also, if you book directly though the owner/lessee instead of through a booking agent you can cut the price in half. So prime season trout fishing will run about 150 pounds for a day or 75-100 for a half day. Off season trout will go 75-100 for a day.

Or, you can wait until October and fish for grayling. While the trout are largely stocked (with a fair number of stream bred browns) throughout the trout season, the grayling are entirely wild. The grayling will go up to 4-5 lb in some rivers and some are beautifully colored. The trout are still around too, just not stocked since September. The best part was the price. We had a mile stretch that would normally be 4 rods (we had 5) and it was 35 pounds per rod. If you convert it to US dollars and compare to what you pay in the states it is a lot (it would be $70 at current exchange) but compared to everything else here it is as cheap as you're going to find for the quality.

We got to fish about a mile stretch of the legendary Test River. The Test is a chalkstream and probably the most famous chalkstream in the country. As such there are a lot of famous club waters and expensive beats. Our beat was a small beat that you'd never find unless you knew about it. They don't advertise anywhere that I have seen. They have two beats and normally take 2 rods per beat. Since we are all friends we fished 5 people, though Rachel and I took up as much water as one since we were fishing side by side most of the day.

The test is largely made up of braids except for the last 15 miles before the sea. There are lots of feeder streams that come in and the river constantly break out into islands and back channels. We fished towards the lower end of the braided section where the river starts coming back as one. We only had two islands and since we only had one bank of the river (and no wading) no additional channels. The river varied from 40-70' wide and had a lot of flow to it. It is tough to compare to the PA streams because the style was very different. It was very deep right of the bank and the banks were very undercut, though for 15' from the waters edge it was mowed grass so it made walking along easy. It was a lot like the Letort on a grand scale (minus the mowed grass) with lots of watercress and various other stream born weeds. Some areas of the stream dropped down to 5-6' deep when it was 40' wide, and where it stretched to 70' wide the stream was ~2' on top of the weeds and flowing a bit faster. The water was up a little and flowing full, but it was crystal clear so that even where it was 6' deep you could see everything to the bottom.

The fish concentrated on all of the bare white gravel areas where a few weeds had died away. The fishing was all sight fishing. Basically you walk along the brush on the back of the path until you find a shoal (school) of grayling feeding. Then creep to the edge and make a good cast and drift your fly through them. If you made a good cast to feeding fish they would usually take on the first drift so long as you had a decent fly on. The brush behind he path made a 'good' cast tough some times. Roll casts were important most of the time. A few places you could throw a high back cast and shoot some line across and reach the far bank. Fortunately though, the fish weren't people shy to much and you could get a few chances at them. A couple times I caught 3 fish from the same shoal before they quit feeding.

In the morning we concentrated on Rachel catching fish more than I was fishing myself. Once she got back into the swing of things I'd move a little further off and fish. She did really well after the first hour or so. A few times she made really nice casts where the fly looped over perfectly to the perfect spot. Most of those times she hooked into a fish.

All told for the day I got 21 and she another 12-15. She had the big ones though with 4 browns over 15" and 3 over 17". The biggest was a thick 18" fish. The prettiest was a copper colored fish with bright halo's around the spots. She also got an grayling that was over 18" and really thick. I got a grayling that was every bit of 18" and even thicker than hers (well over 2 lb) but it had the longest dorsal fin ever (at least 6" long) and had the brightest blue/teal color with a fire red tip for its length. It looked like a beta. About 1/5 fish were trout with only one trout under 15". All of the grayling except 2 were 12" or more. The two small fish were ~5".

Everything except one small one (which ate an adams parachute) were on nymphs of one type or another. In the morning is was olive nymphs with a little flash and a bead. After lunch they didn't want them anymore so we switched to killer bugs which are basically a maggot imitation. Rachel did well with a creme body and a little pink head. I was fishing a solid color body that was a mix of creme, tan, and pink. I also caught a few on a red latex maggot in the heavier water. The nymphs were small (#16) but the bugs bugs were bigger (#12 or so). All of the fish were released.

All in all it was a great trip. I can't wait to do it again in december when the weeds have died back a little in the water and the fish spread a little.

Thanks,
Rick

10 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/14 19:38:15 (permalink)
    Wow, thats expensive to fish. Run into any cool tying materials over there that we dont have?
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/15 04:16:29 (permalink)
    haven't been in a fishing shop yet.  I've got enough material to fill two rubbermaid containers 3' x 2' x 3' so I haven't been looking for anything really.

Like I said in the post, it is expensive compared to US standards but you can't fairly compare to US standards unless you are coming over here for a trip.  When you live here, you can't say that is $70 because you don't get paid in dollars.  It is £35.  Yes, it is a paid to have to pay to fish, but the quality is excellent.  Consider it like the DSR on the salmon river.  You have limited numbers of people (way more limited here), there are nice paths and trails to the water, and even a small hut to eat lunch in.  In this case there were mowed paths around the river and benches every 200 yds or so.  It isn't something that I would do every night (though if I lived out that way I'd probably join a club water for ~£500 on the year) but for a once every other month kinda thing I'll take it.

Thanks,
    Rick
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/15 19:31:23 (permalink)
    Rick,

Good to see you finally made it to England.  Did you take Roxy with you?

I don't know how many times I posted that these folks should be thankful of all the "free" fishing water they have because it isn't that way around the world.

Have you had a chance to go on a driven bird shoot yet?  If these guys think it is expensive to fish, wait until they get the price tag for hunting.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/15 19:34:08 (permalink)
    Have you gotten into the still water fishing yet? From any of the mag. I've read on the uk and its waters the still waters offer some fish of size.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/16 11:29:03 (permalink)
    Hi Dunc,

Yes, Roxy is over here.  She came over about a month ago after sitting at Rachel's parents for 3 months.  She hasn't gotten to hunt yet, but we have been doing drills and training in the fields and I have a dead pigeon to work with.  There are tons of wild birds here (pheasant and partridge) that she gets to flush some almost every time out.  Cover is a little lacking since we are hunting farmland and can't be in the crops too much but the hedgerows are what hold the birds.

No shooting for me yet.  I'm putting my firearms application in tomorrow.  I should have it back before Christmas so I can bring my guns in.  I have my cabinet installed and ready to go.  I have priced it out though.  Formal driven shoots are expensive, some ridiculously so.  Grouse are really expensive since they are wild.  Pheasants are cheaper and partridge are usually cheaper yet.  A full day pheasant driven hunt for 6-8 guns will be anywhere from £2500-£4000.  As a shooter all you have to do is stand at your peg and shoot the birds as they come.  That price usually includes 4 drives, 2 in the morning and two in the afternoon, lunch, cost for beaters, and transportation during the shoot.

You can do semi driven which is half shoot half drive.  The shooting is the same as above.  The drive is your being the beater (you don't get a gun).  They are a bit cheaper.  'Rough' shooting is what we'd call real bird hunting where you walk along with your dog and shoot birds as they jump.  That is the cheapest of all of them.  Depending where you are, you can get rough shooting for £50-£100 a guy per day.  That isn't planted brds like on a preserve, just the ability to walk the fields of the property.  There are also syndicates here that work like a lease at home.  You pay £500-£1000 a year for access to the land and a couple shoots.  Most of the time a syndicate will do 6-8 shoots in a season (October to March) and each shoot will be 10-20 birds down spread over up to 8 guys.  They are normally half driven shoots.

One silver lining is that pigeons and crows are free.  Most farmers consider them pests and want them shot.  You decoy them just like field geese minus the calling.  Some guys will shoot 150 birds in a day.  The fields by me aren't that full, but a 30 bird day isn't uncommon.  This winter I'll update some more but pigeons are bit shooting.

Rabbits are about the same.  They are pests to most people and they want them to be shot.  The farm I have here has hundreds of them.  Once the HMR gets here it will be a nightly event for me to shoot a couple.

Thanks,
    Rick
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/16 11:34:56 (permalink)
    salty,

No, no stillwater for me.  This was my first trip out fishing since I've been here.

Stillwaters are more popular since the layout of the land here doesn't lend itself to trout streams very much.  There are chalkstreams in the south (where I was) and east midlands (about 2 hours drive) and some freestones to the west about 2 hours.  Much of the rest of the country is low rolling fields that doesn't support trout streams (think Crawford county).  So there are lots of stillwater lakes that are heavily stocked with trout.  Some of them get HUGE trout.  Some lakes only stock trout over 5 lb.  Many of the lakes have trout pushing 20 lb.  Lakes don't do it for me though and I don't have much inclination to fish them.  One day I will, but again, they aren't cheap for the nicer places.

Thanks,
    Rick
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/16 15:00:47 (permalink)
    Rick,

Very interesting read.  Thank you.  Please share more of the British way of doing things if you have time.
    I'm interested in reading about the choice of foods and the quality of beer served (of course, lol!) at the local pubs.  Have a great time in England! 

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/16 15:48:37 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

Beer here is different. In the states I was a Yuenling guy for an every day beer. The Sarnac beers were very much to my liking as well. For me, darker lagers are my normal style. In the summer or really warm weather I like a pale ale or wheat beer and in winter I like a good stout or porter. Either way I like them pretty cold. So far here they like their standard ales. And, they like them traditional style, which means about room temp or a little cooler (like cool basement cold) and hand pumped. They aren't as carbonated as a standard American beer from a tap. If you buy the local beers from the grocery store and drink them at home, there are some pretty good ones. Out at any pub I usually stick to cider.

Ciders here are numerous and varied. There are ciders that are dry and high in alcohol like a fine champagne. There are sweeter ciders that are close to apple juice. There are fruit ciders that combine apple with most anything you want. And, they aren't expensive. For 2 quid I can buy a 1L bottle of cider that is as good or better than anything at home.

Food is also different. Traditional 'pies' as they call them are kinda like pot pie, only baked in a lasagna pan. Most are pretty good with fillings like beer braised beef and roast lamb. Still haven't tried fish pie though. The Indian food and curries here are very good, probably the best I've ever had. You can go anywhere and get a decent meal. The Mexican food and sushi are sub par and I'd not recommend getting adventurous. Fish and chips is always good and everywhere. Pizza is iffy. Kebabs (like a gyro) are hit or miss too but there are some awesome places. Otherwise British food isn't high on the culinary experience.

I should also say that if anyone is going to be in the UK at all drop me a line and I can show you around whether for a beer or two or a day or the water.

Thanks
    Rick
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/16 20:42:25 (permalink)
    Rick- Reading your informational posts' regarding the fishing and hunting opportunities/costs in England makes me realize how lucky we are, here in the U.S.A.
    Many people I know, complain about the cost of a fishing or hunting license and the lack of game/fish. Like the song says, "You don't know what you've got, till it's gone." holds true.
    For the most part, we are unbelievably fortunate here in the States, to be able to pursue our love of field and stream on a working man's budget.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: River Test report- trout and grayling 2007/10/16 21:55:22 (permalink)
    Excellent reading.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Jump to: