manatawny creek

Author
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/08 20:35:48 (permalink)

manatawny creek

Sulphurs are in the air.........the fish have been hammering emergers........plenty of caddis out and about, cahills and even found a few iso-s.....the hendricksons are about done.....

been having pretty good luck with a beadhead hares ear with a midge dropped off it.........

fished today for about 30 minutes.......I felt like I was going to see the Wizard......branches and leaves kept falling into the creek.....the wind was insane........I did manage 3 fish on a sulphur emerger and missed a few more.......productive 30  minutes, that was for sure......but the wind was way too much.........

www.2bonthewater.com

7 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/11 08:50:42 (permalink)
    UPDATE **********

The last 3 days have had no bug activity on the surface.........weather has changed things up a bit.........

The fish are still taking nymphs and emergers fished under the water.............

sulphur emergers or sulphur colored nymphs have been working pretty good.........

www.2bonthewater.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/16 10:40:06 (permalink)
    walked into a sulphur cloud at 750 PM........it was pretty awesome.........no fish rising though and I had to leave because I left my headlamp in the truck.......so, if there was a spinner fall, I missed it

I fished a nymph with sulphur emerger dropped off it and the fish were pounding this duo

caught a few fish in the dark with a brown spent spinner.........many hits and many many misses.....had only 3 solid hook sets and lost them all at the bank......I finally got off the stream at about 930

www.2bonthewater.com
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/17 10:03:00 (permalink)
    That is sweet! When you have bugs all over ya it almost is scary.lol

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/17 21:52:56 (permalink)
    you got it..........had another great evening tonight.........cahill spinners, sulphurs popping off.....whacked em' from 630 until I had leave at 9pm........can't beat it.......and nobody else around...........

although, I need new shoulders..........again

www.2bonthewater.com
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/20 09:20:09 (permalink)
    I rarely fish the evenings, because I'm a daybreak warrior. And I sling bait, although I c&r. But you gotta love that magic hour when the streams come alive!
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/30 09:37:47 (permalink)
    Hit the creek last night after two weeks off.........shoulder still hurts

Fished lower in the creek near Pottstown---the state started to stock this section of water---water was super warm and I didn't see any rises---I did notice some Iso's and huge stoneflies in the air--every now and then you would see a nice sized white spinner--cahill sp.--  I think I caught every fallfish in this section of the creek--landed a greensunfish/pumpkinseed hybrid thing???-- also landed a very nice bluegill that was almost 9 inches--

It was about 750pm and I decided to move upstream where the water was much cooler.........I got there about 805 or so and I saw a few risers......tied on a orange CDC sulphur dry and instantly got a GULP--which I promtly snapped off......all of a sudden every fish within' 25 yards was rising to the sulphurs--these sulphurs were the tiny yellow ones---so I tied on a CDC dry fly--size 16 tied on a scud hook and whacked em' one after the other--it was non-stop for about 20-30 minutes---rise, cast, reel the trout in---  it was a blast-----then the action stopped

so sulphurs still popping off..........and lots of them.........was told by a reputable source that the afternoon provided pretty good dry fly fishing with a tan caddis

www.2bonthewater.com
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: manatawny creek 2010/05/31 09:23:43 (permalink)
    Took the kids to fish the sulphur hatch on May 30......the water was up from the night before and normally the sulphurs start popping off at about 750.......tonight, they came off at 845..........the kids had fun running in the small grassy field......then I put the troops in the water at 745.......we waited and we waited..........we hooked into one fish and I let Zoe land it........a nice stocker brown.........by the time the fish were working the surface it was time to go......the kids were a little chilly !!!!  and soaking wet.........I really love the 2nd pic.......in the words of the Wonder Pets:  what's going to work  --  TEAMWORK

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: