Looking Forward

Author
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/03 08:05:46 (permalink)

Looking Forward

Ice fishing season is all about done........time to prep for the upcoming Trout Season.......

Wonder what changes will come with new Leader of the PFBC  --  when I was there, Arway seemed to be a nice guy, a smart guy--  guess we will have to wait and see

Most of the leaders have not been Pro Law Enforcement and being a biologist I would guess he would be a fuzzy bunny type of guy, but found it interesting that in the statement Arway made he wants to get a new deal done with the WCO's and raise PFBC moral.........can't wait to see how that works out......I do know first hand that the WCO's are not happy....but then again, most of them never were

Wondering where to take the kids this year for opening day.....thinking maybe putting a canoe in Deep Creek Lake or maybe make a journey to Locust Lake with the canoe  --  hoping opening day weather is fisherman friendly

Tully is being stocked on the 11th, or so I was told........other local trout streams with special regs have had their stockings cancelled thanks to the snow.......have not received an email with the new stock dates.......Hopefully the snow is done for the year.......don't mind the cold, just hate 20 some inches of the white stuff

www.2bonthewater.com

11 Replies Related Threads

Electricman56
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/03 09:11:40 (permalink)

I was hoping to get one last foray out on the hard water yet this Sunday, I know the ice will be iffy by then but not yet ready to trade in the short poles for the long ones. I heard Antietam is closed due to the trout stocking so was going to check out Peter’s Creek. Would appreciate anyone going out there later this week (especially on Saturday) post an ice report.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/03 17:29:03 (permalink)
    Peters Creek should have safe ice.......the question is if you can reach it.......mid 40's rest of week weekend.....might need some boards to get onto the ice.......

Be careful !!!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/06 00:59:55 (permalink)
    2B- Wow, the mention of locust took me back. Just fish there for trout? Many members of my family fished the outflow (LLC) back in the 50-70s with great numbers of wild fish. So much for dams.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/06 08:57:28 (permalink)
    FFPA

used to venture below the spillway and catch wild brookies........the state stocks Locust creek.......just not sure of the sections.....thinking below Tuscarora and the stream that enters locust lake.....

Plenty of stockies get washed below the spillway.......have not fished there in years myself........

Almost made it out the door this morning to chase some wild browns........I will certainly be taking the kids tomorrow afternoon........going to break out my daughters new fly rod and reel I got her for her 5th Birthday....see if the rugrats can catch a fish.......might even be able to catch them with dry flies !!

A Fly Girl Rod and matching Wright & McGill reel................7 foot 3 wt.........I am pretty sure I am going to lose plenty of flies.......but, we'll see.......she about crushed the rod when I gave it to her.......I put it together and she started false casting in the SHED.....it is barn style, so ceiling is high..........she wanted to cast.....

www.2bonthewater.com
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/06 19:43:23 (permalink)
    I believe the section leaving the smaller lake gets fish. At least for opening day, etc.

My dad back when he was 14-15 would get dropped off about 3-4 miles away from the state park and walk it up through the stream. Always did well with spinners.

It's sad about the low water now. Everyone I have talked to has attributed to the dam there. No release of water in the Summer. But whatever.. Plenty of streams in the area.

Cool stuff with the daughter!
    post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2010/03/06 19:44:16
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/07 18:16:11 (permalink)
    welp, great weather today !!!  The kids wanted to play with the wiffle balls and ride bikes.....it wasn't until after it got cold, Zoe wanted to go fish.....so, we rigged up and all went for a walk to the creek......Zoe, lil' Vinny, Fleck (our fishing cat) and myself......it was hard for Zoe to cast, so I did most of it....and it wasn't much......
    we managed to hook and lose one fish.......water was perfect.......just wish we had went earlier in the day.....

Can't wait for warmer days

www.2bonthewater.com
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/07 20:55:13 (permalink)
    Good for you Vin...reminds me of the days when I took my two son's fishin down at the crick and the pond. They couldn't sleep the night before trout season. Great times and memories! You got alot to look forward to. Thanks for sharing.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/13 01:41:15 (permalink)
    2B... is that a fly logic reel? How do you like that little unit?
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/13 12:30:41 (permalink)
    No, it is a wright and mcgill reliance reel ( 199.00 ).........it matches the wright and mcgill rod.......I purchased the rod about 3 years ago and the reel almost at the same time.......it has cut out fish on it and I figured the little girl would like having a reel with fish on it.....

The reel is very pretty, but the drag seems to be subpar.....the reel looks nice......but is heavy--they are no longer making the reliance reel and have came out with a new line up--  for the chickies they have the Fly Girl Damsel Fly reel and is purpleish----

It is a nice outfit though........can't wait for the weather to stay warm so I can take my Zoe to a pond for some bluegills......let her cast until she wants to stop........bluegills are great attention keepers

Fly logic really doesn't have a light reel that would properly balance out a 7 foot 3 wt.........with the Fly Logic reels-- you need at least an 8 foot rod to balance out.......the Fly Logic flp 345 weighs 5 oz and the FLO 234 weighs 5.2 oz........both heavy for a small trout stream rod......

I once matched a FLO 234 reel to a Fly Logic 8.5 foot 4 wt.......it was balanced perfectly--  I had 12 pound backing on the reel instead of 20

I asked Fly Logic about making a 6'6" 3 wt fly rod and a matching reel under 4 oz........I was told that such an outfit would be fun to fish with.....but at this time, they are concentrating on their Aqua Design clothing line.....I still have hopes that one day, fly logic will create a super light trout reel.........click and pawl for 0-3 wts

bottom line is you really don't need a drag system while chasing wild trouties on our small wild trout streams.....every now and then you will tag a nice fish.........but, if you need an ultra-light reel with a great drag system--  LOOP CLW or LOOP CLWC   superb light line fishing reels............they are almost weightless !!!

As much as I love Fly Logic reels........if I am fishing a 7.5 foot or shorter 2 or 3 wt, maybe even a 4wt--  I will be using a different reel.......the fly logics are just too heavy

i'll quit babbling now
    post edited by 2Bonthewater - 2010/03/13 14:34:25

www.2bonthewater.com
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/14 08:22:05 (permalink)
    I,ll bet that creek is higher now?

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Looking Forward 2010/03/14 09:05:56 (permalink)
    Yeah........You can hear it ripping from the house..........unlike the Youghiogheny thread........it is nowhere near my yard........so I can't just throw out a line......

a few years ago we got flooded pretty good.......our bridge gave out and there was so much water that I could have kayaked from my house to the next town........without even getting into the creek

good thing my landlord is a nice guy.....he replaced the bridge

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: