Frabill pro thermal tipups

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/17 12:54:35 (permalink)

Frabill pro thermal tipups

Anybody use these and wondering how dependable they are? I figure they have to be a big upgrade from my regular old fashion tipups.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

4 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Frabill pro thermal tipups 2010/02/17 13:05:44 (permalink)
    I personally have never used them but have seen them used. The one good thing is they keep the hole from freezing or snow from blowing into it. The two things I don't like...one - the low profile on the ice, especially if there are a lot of snowmobiles or 4 wheelers around; the second is the spool, I have seen it backlash several times with a quick running fish. Hope this helps.
                   Tight Lines ... Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Frabill pro thermal tipups 2010/02/17 15:04:17 (permalink)
    Agree, the low profile isn't as safe with snowmobilers,,as for the possible problems due to the mechanics in spool design, i'm hoping I can make modifications should I ever experience backlashing. Perhaps if I go with heavier mainline,like 36lb.coated tipup line, I maybe avoid/miniumize backlash..? guess I'll find out eventually but, my stardard old wooden tipups just don't cut it on subtemp days especially when windy snow fill up and freezes enough to having to chisel tipups out ..i definitely want easy maintainence for subfreezing hours in them holes.. another plus is having the light for predawn and going into the dark. ty for the reply wisdom

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Frabill pro thermal tipups 2010/02/17 16:41:26 (permalink)
    You can always go with hole covers. HT makes them. They sell for like $6 or you can just get some heavy foam and cut your own. Fish USA sells the HT Enterprises Thermal Tip-Up Hole Cover but they are out of stock until next year...http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Thermal-TipUp-Hole-Cover_p.html

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Frabill pro thermal tipups 2010/02/17 20:03:10 (permalink)
    I seen those covers and was considering them at first but went with these for the night light and compact portability.. on sale @ 307 (the walleye edition) .. just ordered three for now..these new features built in should be an upgrade from what i own now.. these stack neatly and compact in a 5gal bucket, have handled spools for rewinding/resetting baits.. the main feature i was after was it insulates the holes during sub temps .. the bonus featured lil shiner light on these tipups are going to be fun at night! ..i'll post my rating after i use them, hoping they get here before the weekend!..Hey! under 20.00 a tipup with built in lights,imo, not going to find them much cheaper anytime of season. cheers!

Jump to: